Who are your most inspirational players, and in which genre?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cali Dude, Sep 14, 2021.

1. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

Trey ? the guy from morbid angel ?

loopfinding likes this.
  2. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

In no particular order (and mostly irrespective of genre, as that doesn't really play a part in their inspiring me):

SRV - My first introduction to blues guitar outside of blues influences in rock music. Also probably the first time I noticed how much "space" a single guitar can occupy in a recording/band context beyond just being loud.

B.B. King - Learning a few of his licks (from some guitar magazine lesson or song TAB) and pouring these liberally over anything I was attempting to play along to was my first lesson in soloing/fills/improvising. Playing the licks up and down the neck to find the song's key probably did a lot for my ear, too.

Jimi Hendrix - The more I got into him, the more I got into guitar not just for its own sake but also in a context, as a color on a canvas.

John Frusciante - I just like how he's able to put great guitar, which is really easy to make sound cheesy and old-fashioned - into modern music, and often with some oddball sounds. I also see him as a sort of present-day Hendrix when it comes to how he sees his playing in context, both in terms of performance and recording.

Eddie Van Halen - First as part of the compulsory guitar-god canon. Later for always, always looking like he was having a blast.

Dimebag Darrell - Really just for one line in something I read, possibly a Guitar World column he had. He was talking about how you can sometimes get frustrated or in a rut with guitar, and when that happens to just turn it up, hit an E power chord (or just an open low E, or something), and revel in "how f***in' good it sounds!"

Mike Campbell - Probably the perfect mix of great playing and playing for the song. He can shred (perhaps not "Shred", but shred) and not only guitar nerds will love it. It's also nice to think how he's a big classic rock fan who himself became part of the classic rock canon, and as such one of the luckiest guys to ever strap on a guitar. Also the guitarist I'd most like to rob.

Tom Morello - For his seemingly innate and fearless use of oddball sounds achieved through oddball means, and making it all sound great.

And an honorable mention for every unnamed session guitarist that ever came up with just the right part at just the right moment to make me perk up and think "Yeah...guitars..."

And John Coltrane. But you wouldn't know it form listening to me.

Cali Dude likes this.
  3. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

Plus his sound, it's just incredible, and he knows how to use it!

ReverendRevolver and Cali Dude like this.
  4. DOC DYA

DOC DYA Tele-Meister

MIKE BLOOMFIELD !

Larry F, Fiesta Red and Cali Dude like this.
  5. Slap Axe

Slap Axe Tele-Meister

Trey Anastasio from Phish. Jerry didn’t give it away?:D

johnny k and Cali Dude like this.
  6. Opt_234

Opt_234 Tele-Meister

I like all of my influential players for different reasons

I don't like Prince for the same reason I like Jimmy Page, I don't like Jimmy for the same reason I like Yvette Young

all the players I love all contribute something unique or has an X factor I like about them

Jimmy and Eric were players that made me want to really play guitar as a teen, but if not for Prince I would have lost interest in guitar a long long time ago

without prince, I would have likely quit music because i disocvered him as I was becoming disillusioned with rock and roll

Fiesta Red and Cali Dude like this.
  7. Tele-friend

Tele-friend Tele-Holic

I started playing guitar because of RHCP, so yeah definetly John Frusciante. Amazing sound, amazing solos amd probably my favourite back vocalist ever.

Then in no particular order - the blues/rock guys:
    Jimi Hendrix
    Eric Clapton from Cream era
    Jack White
    Dan Auerbach

Josh Homme - stoner rock

Honorable mentions - I was never a real Pink Floyd fan but in recent time I am really starting to appreciate David Gilmour as a guitar player and vocalist.
    Yeah I know, I am late to the party.

Recently I also really like Chris Buck who has a youtube channel. Amazing player.

Cali Dude likes this.
  8. Walker

Walker Tele-Afflicted

I could write a list a mile long about players who inspire me and it would include players on many different instruments, but 2 guitarists who inspire me to this day are Eddie Van Halen and Wes Montgomery.

Cali Dude likes this.
  9. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

I have a huge affinity for that roughly post-new wave generation of British guitarists --

Andy Summers
    James Honeyman-Scott
    Johnny Marr
    John Squire
    Bernard Butler
    Graham Coxon

While all are fairly different, they shared in common a complete disregard for the traditional rhythm/lead guitar dichotomy.

10. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Friend of Leo's

Number one: The guy in my avatar - Mark Knopfler.
    Number two: David Gilmour.
    Other players that I am inspired by are:
    John Fogerty
    James Taylor
    Dan Fogelberg
    Vince Gill
    Michael Hedges
    William Ackerman
    Glen Campbell
    Jerry Reed
    ...I'm sure I've missed a few.

Happy Enchilada and Cali Dude like this.
  11. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I've seen a lot of good guitar players in my time, some here, a lot of 'em years ago in Vegas when I lived there for a short while. I can't say ANY guitar player has ever inspired me, but I can tell you that I've seen Tommy Emmanuel twice live, and hope to see him again before the end of my time. He can't inspire me, because he's so much better than I COULD EVER be, (even if I was starting over) that if I was standing on my grandma's shoulders I couldn't kiss his rear end. I've never seen a guy who can make a guitar EMOTE like he can. He does to a guitar what a great singer does to a song singing it. He can wring emotion out of a guitar like no one else I've ever seen. Inspire nope, ADMIRE yep!

As a foot note to this hero worship of Tommy, some of you know this some of you don't. When Tommy was around twenty or twenty one years old, he went to the most renowned guitar teacher in Australia seeking lessons from him. Now the teacher could see that Tommy was serious, but he wanted to hear Tommy play before accepting him as a student. So Tommy played for him for quite a while. When he stopped, the instructor wiped that stupid look of admiration off his face that we've all seen, and told Tommy that he not only couldn't teach him anything, he didn't even understand all of what Tommy was doing.

Cali Dude likes this.
  12. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

jazz: wes, joe pass, barney kessel

rock: brian gibson from lightning bolt, spencer seim from hella, michael rother from neu!, kerry king, jimi

weirdo stuff: derek bailey, keiji haino, ichirou agata, otomo yoshihide (but not really his guitar playing)

tbh I’ve been more inspired by non guitarists than guitarists...monk, trane, dolphy, brotzmann, evan parker, reich, glass, ryoji ikeda, mika vainio, etc.

guitar is just the instrument that got put in my hands at an early age, so it's just the most natural and what i keep on doing.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    Cali Dude likes this.
  13. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Whit Smith, Western swing (et al). Everything I've been at the last year-plus with guitar been in service of trying to play that broad style competently. A little while longer yet. :)

Cali Dude likes this.
  14. Doomguy

Doomguy Tele-Meister

Jerry Cantrell, Sammy Duet, Matt Pike, Karl Sanders, Terrance Hobbs, of course the great riff master Tony Iommi himself. But there are so many other players that I admire. Especially from the stoner/doom and black metal worlds.

15. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Rock - Eric Johnson
    Jazz - Lenny Breau
    Country - Marty Stuart
    Blues - Robben Ford
    Gypsy Jazz - Django/Bireli Lagrene
    Classical - Sharon Isbin
    Harp Guitar - Muriel Anderson
    Solo Jazz - Joe Pass/Tuck Andress

Fiesta Red and Cali Dude like this.
  16. telemaster03

telemaster03 Tele-Meister

My wife and I caught one of his Rockabilly Riot shows a couple years ago. I knew he was a good player but after I saw him I realized that guy is simply a bada**. Blew me away.

I seem to change constantly but grew up with Don Rich, Roy Nichols, Roy Clark and Chet Atkins as influences. Later Tele guys are Vince Gill, Albert Lee and Brad Paisley.

In the rock years I went from Ted Nugent and Richie Blackmore to Van Halen to Randy Rhoads. Then the hair metal years came a long and everyone was a shredder.

Anymore it's quite a conglomeration, Danny Gatton, Roy Buchanan, Jim Campilongo, Eric Johnson, Derek Trucks, Tommy Emmanuel, Ranger Doug from Riders In The Sky, Whit Smith and older jazz guys. This week I'm discovering Jimmy Bryant. Always something new out there I haven't heard, or at least haven't paid much attention to.

Fiesta Red, Cali Dude and Sconnie like this.
  17. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher TDPRI Member

What a great list, 5 of my all time faves in there.

aging_rocker and Lawdawg like this.
  18. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Weir & Garcia
    David Hidalgo
    Duane & Dickey

Doc Watson, Tony Rice, Norman Blake, David Bromberg

BB King, Johnny Winter, Mike Bloomfield, Clapton, Peter Green & Damny Kirwan

Hollywood Fats, Kid Ramos, and any guitar that played with James Harman Band, T- Bone Walker

Jimmie, and Jimi

Bob Dylan, John Prine

Skunk Baxter, Denny Dias, Larry Carlton

Danny Gatton, Jim Messina, Scotty Moore

19. duzie

duzie Tele-Holic

Uli Jon Roth
    Inspirational

Cali Dude likes this.
  20. donrichfan

donrichfan Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

The main offenders who inspired me as a kid:
    Country Don Rich, Roy Nichols
    Rock: Scotty Moore, Keith, Jimmy Page, Pete Buck, Rick Richards, Dan Baird.

There are so many others that have provided inspiration as well. Really have been inspired by Duke Levine recently.

Cali Dude likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.