Who are your most inspirational players, and in which genre?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cali Dude, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

We are all inspired by different players, and from many different genres. Who are some players who inspired you the most, and from which genre? For me, it's Vince Gill, Pete Anderson, and Leroy Parnell for (Country music). And it's Buddy Guy and Eric Clapton for (blues/ rock blues). Who inspires/inspired you?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  2. Buell

Buell Tele-Meister

For me, I think it started with Jimi. EVH was next and then Randy Rhodes just blew me away. I got to see Roy Clark in an intimate setting and that was the first time I remember thinking, "No way will I ever be THAT good." I'm still not.

3. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Friend of Leo's

John Frusciante
    Marc Ribot
    David Rawlings
    Neil Young
    Johnny Marr

folk-on, D_Malone, Fiesta Red and 5 others like this.
  4. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Right now I’m on kind of a bluegrass kick so;
    Billy Strings
    Sierra Hull
    Molly Tuttle

My songwriting side is currently enjoying Tyler Childers.

In general I’m into Sturgill Simpson for being true to his art and giving the bird-finger to the music business.

Dano-caster, richiek65 and Cali Dude like this.
  5. Skyhook

Skyhook Tele-Meister

Rock:
    Ace Frehley
    Angus Young
    Joe Satriani

Funk:
    John Frusciante

Metal:
    Piggy
    James Hetfield

Blues:
    Eric Clapton
    Stevie Ray Vaughan
    - honorable mention to Jack White for the song Ball & Biscuit. One of the most visceral, raw and unflinching blues tracks I've heard.

Djent:
    Tosin Abasi

Jazz:
    Django Reinhardt

Tele: (Yes, I know Tele isn't a genre but I'm not sure what to label what these guys do with. Feel free to provide labels here if you have them.)
    Danny Gatton
    Greg Koch

Prog:
    Steve Rothery
    David Gilmour

6. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Friend of Leo's

It always changes. SRV was an early one, but I think it started with Cobain, Corgan/Iha, and Jerry Cantrell. Then SRV, Randy Rhoads, Dimebag and into the electric blues guys. I suppose the Hendrix thing kind of went with SRV, but you don't always pursue the same people you've listened to for a few years just because your perspective changes.

Tried to get into the G3 stuff, but that just reiterated that Satriani could string songs together, Steve Vai had cool riffs in boring songs, and Malmsteen is a grownup version of a 14 year old wanking in guitar center. When you're used to playing like that as tasteful and vital to a song from metal or blues, its hard to adjust to filler being called a song.

People who aren't that flashy like Mike Ness, and people who aren't rated like they should be like Prince and Mike Cambell influenced me for sure.

But I stopped trying to sound like other people a long time ago. I'll still steal tricks and a riff here or there, but there will (mercifully) always be people way better than me to keep giving me ideas.
    Sometimes I'll circle back and realize someone like Jim Heath is miles beyond where I register him mentally, or that jack white is just playing what fits the song and seems fun instead of things that are flashier he could do.

I vacated the space where I drooled over guitar heroes about when I realized I sounded like me no matter what I was playing.

Fiesta Red, Skyhook and Cali Dude like this.
  7. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Rock: Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Todd Rundgren, Mick Ralphs, Paul Kossoff

Blues: 3 Kings, Mike Bloomfield, Buddy Guy

Country/Rockabilly: Don Rich, Vince Gill, Scotty Moore, James Burton

Jazz: John McLaughlin, Larry Coryell, Lenny Breau, Kenny Burrell

Catch-all: Gatton, Koch

I probably don't sound much like any of them, but I've stolen enough from all of them to cobble my own style together.

- D

Fiesta Red and Cali Dude like this.
  8. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

Brent Mason
    Pete Anderson
    Brad Paisley

Bob Weir
    Jerry Garcia

Steve Marriott
    Peter Frampton

Cali Dude likes this.
  9. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

Guitar:
    Brian Setzer

...and no, I can't play like him in the slightest.

Honorable mentions:

Rock and Roll:
    Angus Young
    Dan Hawkins
    Mike Campbell

Chet
    Jimmy Page (yeah, I mean it)

D_Malone, Fiesta Red, 3fngrs and 2 others like this.
  10. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

It is a big mix, but i spent a lot of time trying to figure out licks by rev horton heat and rick miller from southern culture on the skids.

Right now i am on a thrash music kick, so i have to mention gary holt from exodus as well. And Johnny hiland and those crazy country pickers where you have to slow down the stuff 0.25 to figure out the lick. And jimmy Bryant.

ReverendRevolver and Cali Dude like this.
  11. ReverendRevolver

RHH stuff has things I'm unaccustomed to in psychobilly or rockabilly. Jim Heath has an alleged jazz background, but he has runs that sound mostly rockabilly until you try them and realize its weirder than it sounds. I'm currently in a mode to figure out RHH stuff for covers in a psychobilly band, but it actually requires an attention span compared to the other songs (which = me printing lyrics and writing chords and guessing each run in 3 tries or less)

I had to dig out blank sheet paper and use my brain. Blasphemy.

Cali Dude and johnny k like this.
  12. ReverendRevolver

Setzer is like a sleight of hand magician; you think you know what hes doing, but it's a bit too quick and smooth to be right.....

3fngrs, Sconnie and Cali Dude like this.
  13. johnny k

There are loads of lick by RHH which i won't figure out. the intro to this song is one of them

The big sky picking part is another one.

I don't know if it is a jazz background, but there is a lot of country here.

The funny thing is that when you hear / see jim explaining them, it looks like it is more of a feeling thing that really written down. At least for the psychobilly freakout video.

14. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Put me down as another vote for Dave Rawlings. The man cannot play a bad solo to save his life.

Cali Dude, _MementoMori_ and johnny k like this.
  15. ReverendRevolver

I agree on the feel thing. I saw a video of him explaining the part in Galaxy 500 that sounds really memorable he put in there to sound like a commercial Jingle for a Ford galaxy. That whole song is simple picking, dirt simple strumming, then a ??? "Fly solo" and the aforementioned jingle riff. Very interesting player. Anytime I write a song like that, the complex part feels too pretentious for the song and I ax it. I feel your pain.

3fngrs, Cali Dude and johnny k like this.
  16. johnny k

Yeah i saw that video for the solo where he plays a lot of open strings with 2 notes in between. That is country to me.

If you need help figuring out a few licks, maybe i can help. I played some covers of his songs. Not saying they are 100 percent close to whatever he plays, but still, it might be helpful.

Cali Dude and ReverendRevolver like this.
  17. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Holic

Of the big name folks, Kenny Burrell (jazz) and Jim Messina (pop/rock/country?) stand out. Blazing speed doesn't inspire me. But these guys solo in a way that creates a connection, that somehow tells a story. And wonderful tone, too.

Also James Taylor. Not sure what genre to put him in, but his voicings, with their folk, country, jazz and Brazilian influences are what got me to start guitar in the first place.

Lesser known: Jack Pearson. Any genre. And it doesn't matter whether he's playing an SG, a Bullet Strat, a custom shop Martin. Always great.

Unknowns: My oldest brother (jazz) has terrific time and solos in such a melodic way, weaving in an around the melody. And my friend and former band partner Ed always delivers great, exciting classic rock style solos.

All of these folks have inspired me to keep improving.

Cali Dude likes this.
  18. Butch Snyder

Butch Snyder Tele-Afflicted

For me, my biggest inspirations are:
    1. Albert Lee
    2. Brent Mason
    3. Steve Piticco
    4. Jimmy Olander

Cali Dude likes this.
  19. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Allman Brothers, both Duane and Dickey

Ry Cooder

Mark Knopfler

VWAmTele, nojazzhere and Cali Dude like this.
  20. Slap Axe

Slap Axe Tele-Meister

Jimi
    SRV
    Jerry
    Trey

Cali Dude likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.