Who Are Some Unconventional Telecaster Players?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by thunderbyrd, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Tele-Afflicted

I agree it's easy to follow, but it is a little disconcerting at first, unless you're only half-listening. It's not as cleverly disguised as the alternating measures of four and three in Blondie's Heart Of Glass.

2. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Tele-Afflicted

OK, back to the matter at hand:
    A previous poster mentioned Beefheart guitarist Zoot Horn Rollo, but he wasn't the only guitarist in Beefheart's various bands to play a Tele. Morris Tepper, AKA Jeff Morris Tepper, used a Tele in the Shiny Beast/Doc At The Radar Station/Ice Cream For Crow era. That's about as unconventional as it gets!

Can't embed a Vimeo vid and the YouTube version is sound only, but the link below is Ashtray Heart live on SNL.

https://vimeo.com/channels/1098231/162933166

3. SPECTRUM001

SPECTRUM001 TDPRI Member

Crikey - that is amazing !!

I wish there was more footage of Beefheart...

I have probably already gone on too much about my admiration of Hugh Cornwell's playing and tele sound....however....Robert Williams (drumming on this track) released a solo album with Hugh ("Nosferatu") around the same time, which also featured Mark Mothersbaugh.

A bit "musical chairs", although they presumably shared an interest in their respective and unique sounds.

4. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Tele-Afflicted

News to me! Thanks!

5. Fergyuk

Fergyuk Friend of Leo's

RYAN1987M and dlew919 like this.
  6. 50hz

50hz TDPRI Member

I'm gonna add my vote for Ted Greene, Ed Bickert, Tim Lerch, and anyone else jazzing with Tele's because they're the reason I play them. I think playing jazz on one qualifies because jazzers tend to be very snobby about their boxes for the tone they're looking for. I am NOT a fan of the twang in any way, and in fact that's why I avoided Teles for so long, so hearing Ted really changed the game for me.

For a slightly more left field submission: Bill Orcutt's solo work I think fits the "unconventional" label. And on Toshimaru Nakamura's album "Side Guitar" he listed a Telecaster as one of the instruments used but he could have been using anything and I'd have been none the wiser.

Dylan Carlson of Earth has been seen using them also. He's a bit of a weird one.

7. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Thanks to the OP for starting this. An interesting read. For anyone who might be confused about the definition of what is “conventional”, here is the entry from the (Dan) German Modern Dictionary:

conventional: adj. adhering to the norm, e.g.: one who pedantically complains about casual internet posts that they personally disagree with.

Since what each person thinks of as conventional is informed by their personal experience, what they consider unconventional will similarly vary. Just enjoy the conversation.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.