Who also thinks this song was Epic in 1989

Lucky Day

Tele-Afflicted
In what way do you think it was a game changer? I was in high school at that time. It was certainly a cool hit song, but didn't seem ground breaking or tremendously different at that time. It took some elements of pop (the rap and horn sections), some elements of metal (what's it? What is it?), and then the quasi-classical piano thing.

But I don't remember anything changing as a result of it. The game changer was shortly after that... with grunge.

wlewisiii

Tele-Holic
Possible more of an argument for Living Color's "Cult of Personality" than Epic.

But yeah, hair metal still overwhelmed both until grunge came along.

J-man

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Have you followed Mike Patton's career post-Faith No More? He's been involved in some pretty crazy music over the years!

fendertx

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free + Supporter
Well it was certainly a big hit, and in massive rotation on Mtv. I remember being impressed by their covers of War Pigs and later Easy.

Mr. Lumbergh

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm a big fan of Faith No More. They had a unique sound.
The album Epic had some great stuff on it besides the title track, but their high water mark for me was "Angel Dust."

Jefe

Tele-Afflicted
I got burned out on that song pretty quickly, but overall I like Faith No More. I've also been following Mike Patton over the years, and he's been involved in some great projects, especially Mr. Bungle and Fantomas.

Lucky Day

Tele-Afflicted
LOL, I see you changed the thread title to "epic", rather than "groundbreaking."

I think the title of the song was fitting because there's a rather tongue-in-cheek vibe to it, where they're using a lot of huge throw-back musical ideas (harmonized guitars, big horn sections, syrupy piano outro). I think the title, Epic, fits.

Dan R

Poster Extraordinaire
Sort of makes it seem like the Red Hot Chili Pepper were just aping Faith No More. That's not a knock on the Peppers either. The song is semi-epic at least. *wink*

bender66

Poster Extraordinaire
Love that album but that song never did it for me. Angel Dust is their best, I agree. I really dug Jim Martins playing & persona too.

I'd gone over to SF from my home to go out with a friend one night. Dropped into her work at a club & heard some crazy vocal gymanastics coming from a soundcheck. I knew who it was before I even poked my head in... Patton.

Tazz3

Friend of Leo's
Faith no more I think was the bands name lol I have a good memeory lol
I did not like it sorry lol

Anode100

Friend of Leo's
Yes. Love it to this day.

'Angel Dust' remains their strongest work for me.

Who knew that a band with as much animosity could produce such stellar music (OK, Fleetwood Mac's 'Rumours' gets an honorable mention here)

I've tried the 'post-Big-Ugly-Jim' material, and it doesn't work for me - I always thought it sounded too mainstream by comparison.