Who already misses the AVRI series?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TeleBrew, Mar 21, 2018.

1. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

RIP AVRI. I have three from the series now (and have owned others in the past). I have a modded 1997 '52 Tele (mini humbucker in the neck). I bought a '64 Tele last month and it's now my favorite guitar. So I went ahead and got a '65 Strat, which arrived today, and which is also terrific.

I can't help but wonder why Fender discontinued the AVRI series ENTIRELY in favor of the American Originals. Adding the American Originals to the AVRI line? Yeah, that would make some sense to me. But eliminating that line entirely? Weird.

Southpole likes this.
  2. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I finally got to try the AO series. 50's tele, 60's tele, and 60's strat.

I have owned a '57RI strat, several '62RI strats, and two '52RI teles from the AVRI series.

I like the new ones a ton better.

3. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

AV were the best guitars made in my lifetime. I have three and will cherish them for the rest of my lifetime.

H. Mac likes this.
  4. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This has been beaten to death. Yes, they're sorely missed. I own 58 & 64 Teles, wanted a 52 some day. I own a 65 JM, and wanted one of the Strats eventually.

IdahoTeleMan likes this.
  5. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

I won't miss them once I have a 64 and a 56 (or 59) in my stable. But yes, they were the only current production guitars I was really interested in. Now no longer in production.

I still have to hold an AO in my hands, so I'll definitely do that as well. But my eyes are on the used market.

6. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

They are going to come up more used .the new models will appeal more to some for their 9. Radius et al. Some will move on their 64s and 52s

7. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

There's still tons new available in stores. The new Original series looks like a good take on the same theme. The difference is nuance.

rich815 likes this.
  8. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

I wouldn't miss that 7" radius. I can barely cope with 9".

Jakedog likes this.
  9. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

I've never seen an AO but I do have a '56 Strat and a 70s reissue MIJ Tele - and I really like both. I'm not in the market for any new or traded high value Fenders, so it's not something I'll ponder on for too long.

As mentioned, I haven't had chance to compare / contrast but it always feels a bit wrong to kill a product that seems to have been so popular. However, I presume Fender will have done its market research before doing so.

10. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

Who can resist double binding?

BopT, AlbertaGriff and elihu like this.
  11. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

I got my '52. I don't care what they do from here.

speedingjet and nosuch like this.
  12. Sinner1980

Sinner1980 Tele-Meister

Although I haven’t tried the AO range yet, I feel fortunate to have an AV52 and 64, which I’ll never sell and are truly amazing.

I would love to get hold of a AV 56 strat, which I keep falling back to when at my local shop. They stock a few still and it should be a matter of time.

As soon as I get my hands on that one too I really don’t mind the line being gone as I sort of like the fact that they are actually discontinued, leaving all that didn’t manage to get one in agony and despair... ;)

13. Theslack5

Theslack5 Tele-Meister

I do find it odd that the only way to get a 7.25 radius Fender is now the mim classic series. Most of my guitars have the vintage radius in fact the 2 I have with 9.5 are my least played guitars. My Gibson’s only get an airing when I need that sound and I have 12 gauge strings on those to stop them feeling so bendy. Doesn’t matter that much though I’m sure if I want an avri I will be able get a used one.

14. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

7.25" players shouldn't despair. There's always the PRS Silver Sky.

Ducking now!

speedingjet, BopT, jondanger and 5 others like this.
  15. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

I miss the idea of it, but I only ever played one briefly in a shop and wasn't moved by it. Never having owned one and never having planned to own one, I can't say I'll miss it in more than theory. I like the idea that something like that was available, but that's about as far as it went with me.

16. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Don't miss them at all, play my AV52 every single day. Now, if something were to happen to mine, I'd be in trouble. Best sounding, easiest playing, most durable, maintenance free, good looking, sweet talking guitar I've ever laid my hands on.

speedingjet likes this.
  17. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Having owned and gotten rid of two AVRI 52 Teles, I'm curious of what your candid opinion of them is, and why you didn't keep them? (or maybe you still have them, but that's not what I'm sensing from your post)

KyAnne and Jakedog like this.
  18. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Yep, never going to miss a 7.25 radius. Gimme a 12 all day long.

stnmtthw and Jakedog like this.
  19. lewis

lewis Poster Extraordinaire

I had a '62ri CAR Tele but sold it because I just couldn't bond with it. Heavy, small neck/frets. But the biggest gripe I had about it was that it was dead as a door nail. Just couldn't get it to resonate, very little sustain.

20. Califiddler

Califiddler Friend of Leo's

A surf green AVRI 57 Strat has been on my wish list for years. Looks like Fender doesn’t offer the AO 50’s Strat in surf green, so the AVRI will remain on the wish list.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.