Who’s tried the Boss Nextone?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by markal, Jan 25, 2019.

1. markal

markal Tele-Holic

What did you think? How does it compare to other SS (and tube) amps in the same price range? If you have (or had) a Blues Cube, how does it compare to those?

How’s the NExtone for low gain bluesy stuff? How about a classic crunch?

If you bought it, did you like the tones stock or did you customize it with the software?

I currently have a Blues Cube Artist and an Orange Crush 60c and there are things I love about each amp, and there are things I don’t like about each amp. I’m thinking maybe the Nextone could give me the best of both.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Clarkj734

Clarkj734 Tele-Meister

I played one at a shop for 30 minutes or so. Not enough time to form a reliable opinion. That said...

Personally, I was underwhelmed. It was ok... I think my expectations may have been unfairly high. The power tube options is a cool idea, but differences are subtle ( as they should be ). The way its marketed I hoping for Fender, Marshall and Vox all in one amp. Again, unfair expectations.

It sounded ok, the dynamics were good (not tube authentic, but good)

I'd like to play one again now that my expectations are more fair.

markal likes this.
  3. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Afflicted

I tried one last week and it didn't hit the spot for me tone wise- I tried the Katana 100 1x12 next to it, and ended up buying that! I'm getting good results with the Boss Tone Studio software, and the Katana covers all bases for what I need. I don't think the Nextone knows what it wants to be.

brookdalebill likes this.
  4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I tried the 40W version at GC.
    It sounded good, though I didn’t figure out how to get the delay working.
    I’m an 80-100W amp fan, so I’d like to try the more powerful version.
    I own 3 Cube 80s, a Katana 100, and a Blues Cube Artist, so I am obviously a fan of Noss/Roland amps.
    I see a 100W Nextone in my future.

5. markal

markal Tele-Holic

Can you describe what was better about the Katana?

6. markal

markal Tele-Holic

I tried the 40-watt Stage version and immediately didn’t like the small cabinet. But I thought there were some good tones I’d like in the larger verion.

brookdalebill likes this.
  7. pedro58

pedro58 TDPRI Member

I've been going to the Katanas since they came out when I try out stuff. I just look around the local GC and find the Katana because I know how it sounds and it's easy to dial in. I don't use high gain, mostly clean and crunchy tones appropriate for blues and country.

I played a Nextone and liked it a lot. It has more tones in my wheelhouse and I liked the feel. It had that "bounce" that I expect from tubes. I liked it better than the Katana. Anyway, that just my .02$... Try one out.

brookdalebill and markal like this.
  8. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Afflicted

I wanted to buy the Nextone, but when I compared it to the Katana, I found the Kat clean channel really had more focus or punch, and going back to the Nextone, it sounded more flabby, grainy or loose?. Maybe that's what some guys want.
    I have set 3 Katana channels to be a clean Twin Reverb, Bassman and Marshall 1959 via a lot of tweaking the Tone Studio software using Sneaky Amps. I use the Katana purely as a clean channel amp for the stuff I play...rockabilly, country, surf etc. Having gigged with all the tube amps mentioned, I sort of know what their sound is.

pedro58 likes this.
  9. markal

markal Tele-Holic

Cool. Thanks for that.

10. dswo

dswo Tele-Meister

This is my experience too, with both amps.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  11. pedro58

pedro58 TDPRI Member

And the Katana is cheap. I don't own the Kat or the Nextone, I'm still happy with my Mustang 3v2. But when it inevitably dies, the Kat and the Nextone would be on my radar. Or whatever is on the market then, as I feel like the Mustang is reasonably weel-built and roadworthy.

12. USian Pie

USian Pie Tele-Meister

I played a Nextone Stage 40-watt for a few minutes in Guitar Center today.

I used a Telecaster, turned off all Delay and Reverb, and set all tone and presence controls at 12 o'clock. For volume, I started with Clean Volume down, Master fully up, and worked through a couple of power modes.

I like how the amp sounded. I'm not sure what else to say. I enjoyed playing through it.

I tried the 6V6, 6L6, and EL84 modes. They pretty much did what I expected. The 6V6 was sweet and clear. the 6L6 added some nice bass. The EL84 thickened up in the mids and had a different shape to the treble.

At the .5 watt setting, I had to take the Clean volume to about 12 o'clock to hear myself well. When I went to half-power setting, it dominated the room without being that overly loud and obnoxious guy. I didn't try full power.

One thing I noticed was it didn't sound worse when I turned it up. You know how some solid state amps start to turn brittle when they get loud? I didn't get that. Louder just seemed to wrap around me more. I got more "good", not more harsh. The sound and response made me want to turn up, too.

I like the controls. I like amps to be pretty simple. I tend to get Bass/Mid/Treble/Presence in the right neighborhood and adjust based on the room. The computer tweakability doesn't interest me and, based on today's trial, isn't something I need.

It's on my watch list now. I would probably go for the 80-watt version. Since it's new, I'm going to see if any problems crop up in the next few months. It would be nice to A/B it with a Blues Cube Artist, too.

dswo, markal and brookdalebill like this.
  13. exactopposite

exactopposite Tele-Meister

I have had the Nextone Stage for a month now. I use the stock 6v6 and 6l6 settings primarily. I experimented with the editor on the computer a little bit when I first got it. The editor is a powerful tool, but I like the stock setup personally. I replaced the speaker with a GA-SC64 which has been a fantastic upgrade for the fender tones on the 6v6 and 6l6 settings. I already had the speaker around so I tried it as a test. it sounds great so it's staying in there. Having an American voiced speaker in it is fine with me since i don't use the British sounds.

It's a great blues amp with plenty of blackface Fender goodness. it also FEELS good to play. It responds to picking dynamincs and guitar volume adjustments like a tube amp (granted every tube amp is different). I sounds and feels great playing at home at low volume. My tube amps sound great when they are turned up but at living room volume they are far from ideal. I was looking for a simple amp that is fun to play at home.

The Nextone is just what I was looking for:
    It's simple to use
    It has the option of using the editor to customize things but that's not a requirement
    it sounds and feels good to play at home

I didn't want a "jack of all trades" amp like a Mustang, and the Katana seemed too pedal centric for me. I really like the Blues Cube concept but I wanted blakface tones rather than tweed tones. Having to buy the amp AND spend another $200 on a tone capsule is just asking too much.

I don't gig anymore these days but I've been playing a lot more lately because this amp is so much fun. I can't speak on what it's like to gig with the Nextone but it's great for playing blues at home. It's definitely not for the high gain crowd.

dswo likes this.
  14. USian Pie

USian Pie Tele-Meister

I found myself back at Guitar Center today for something else. I gave the Nextone Stage another go but this time I set it for full power on 6V6 and 6L6 and pushed the volume a bit.

I noticed that, as the amp gets loud, the small-ish cabinet seems to become a factor. The amp still feels and responds the same way but the "bigness" of the sound becomes constrained. It's not an unnatural sound and I would expect the same from pretty much any amp in a small cab.

The Artist version might still be in my future someday.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.