1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Who’s sending their kid to college ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mike Eskimo, Aug 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

My son may or may not be moving into a dorm in Marquette Mi (UP) on Thursday.

They’re (the Univ) is “ready” but wife and son are still bashing it out .

Many reasons obviously.

It is 7 hrs away btw. Chicago/Toronto are closer by comparison.

Take the normal “traumatic trip to deliver your only kid to his first semester away at school” and a ramp it up exponentially.

2. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Wow, Marquette is up there...when I first read UP, I thought you were referring to Michigan Tech in Houghton, but Marquette is almost as far. Worked with 3 folks from Tech, but never heard of Northern Michigan U.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  3. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Friend of Leo's

Marquette is a long drive! Will you visit in the winter?

What could possibly go wrong?

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Our younger daughter is starting university this September -- University of British Columbia (Vancouver). [That would only be a 400km drive.] Originally she was planning on living in an on-campus dorm, but their fall semester in on-line, so we're not rid of her yet! Who knows what the spring semester will be like.

I mentioned this elsewhere, but since you can be on-line from anywhere, She and three friends have booked a cabin on Salt Spring Island for October. https://goo.gl/maps/3rMScYQiyhExb1eh9

nicknklv, Mike Eskimo and Jakedog like this.
  5. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I wouldn’t do it right now. Not worth it. But that’s just me.

I have a friend in central MI who is taking his two boys to go hit as much of the Appalachian Trail as they can get in before winter. They fought hard for going back to school, but he and mama thought better of it. This was the compromise. They take a semester off and backpack in the woods, and see what’s up in the spring.

6. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Some good colleges up there..but, the Univ I work at may bring students in
    and then send them home...(right away) if trends continue

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    WalthamMoosical and Mike Eskimo like this.
  7. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

My daughter is graduating this semester so she decided she was going to go no matter what. Fortunately, all but one of her courses are being offered online. The other course is a hybrid, both in person and online. It is a senior study with just her and another student so social distancing will be fairly easy.

My son is in his second year, but he is recovering from kidney failure that occurred over the summer (not COVID related). He is about to start dialysis and is taking the rest of the year off. Not sure what we will do in January with him, we will have to wait and see how things go.

EDIT: I have to clarify here. I probably shouldn't have used the phrase "no matter what". She was adamant that she didn't want to postpone graduating, but she did have a lot of anxiety (as did we) about going back and she almost backed out. She sent an email to her advisor asking what her options were. She was concerned about bringing COVID home to her brother and about getting it herself. It was only after assurances from her advisor and finding out there was only 1 other student in her senior studio course that she (and her mom and I) felt comfortable about going back.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    Martian, electrichead, Asmith and 2 others like this.
  8. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

we put away afund for our kid to get an education, they are now 23 and have finally decided to see about university,
    I told her that if she goes we will help her , if she doesnt , I have a lot of money to play with.

so its upto them

Bob M, Asmith and Mike Eskimo like this.
  9. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

He may learn more by working at a job, locally, until the virus thing calms down. Tuition is a lot of money to pay for an education hindered by uncertainty, compromise, and "remote" teaching. Good luck, Eskimo!

10. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

My youngest daughter has a civil partnership ceremony on Wednesday (the register office only re-opened last week). It will allow her to obtain a visa to accompany her partner to Vancouver. He has a post doctoral research contract at UCB starting next month. Thankfully her architectural practice here in Windsor (UK) will allow her to work from her new home until she finds a job in Vancouver. It is a worrying time, hope things work out for all of your offspring as they fly the nest.

11. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I don't have a horse in this race but I've worked with well educated people with B.A's and Masters degrees in many of the greasy spoons I so loved to work in . Thousands and Thousands of dollars in debt, working for low paying service position jobs because a masters in any of the humanities assure one, that culinary school would have been a more substantial choice regarding a career.
    I am not disparaging knowledge of all topics from William Shakespeare to E.E.Cummings, Ginsberg , T.S. Eliot Carl Sandburg, Shelley Byron, Wordsworth and Keats as those waters are well worth the journey

12. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

my sympathies entirely.

I've survived putting three of them through university, but not at all the same challenge as today.

FWIW, and I'm sure you've already thought of this - the stats for Michigan seem to indicate that Marquette County is at least one hundred times safer than Wayne County, or whichever part of Detroit you inhabit...and yeah, that's a long, long drive to get there. It's got to be pretty chill in the winter in Marquette?

koopus and Mike Eskimo like this.
  13. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

That’s a nice campus and a beautiful area. My wife ran a marathon up there years ago and I tagged along on my bike.

My kid is five so I’m not there yet, though we certainly had to work through the logistics like any school right now.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  14. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

My daughter is moving back east for grad school at Boston College. Each study program at the school was given the choice of on-campus or off-campus/online classes, and her program, Social Work, chose off-campus/online. So even tho she was fortunate to land an apartment literally a 10 minute walk to campus, she won't be going to campus for classes, at least for the first semester; and the school tab will remain the same.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  15. BigDaddyLH

BC and the Vancouver area are doing relatively well, at present. This dashboard has a lot of information: https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/a6f23959a8b14bfa989e3cda29297ded

For example, in the Vancouver area (Vancouver/Coastal) there are currently only 3 people being hospitalised.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  16. clayville

clayville Tele-Meister

My eldest son's freshman year in college was abruptly interrupted in the spring - so we went through the non-exponential part last fall. For some of it all you can do is trust them - and hope that the last 18-19 years of your efforts have prepared them.

My guy's a mechanical engineering major at Univ of Vermont. It's important to him and his eventual credentials that he gets the hands-on labs/instruction that Distance Learning isn't really a substitute for - in his situation, "remote" just wouldn't work. If it would, we'd keep him home - but this is the point in the program where all that really kicks in.

Fortunately he's a remarkably responsible kid, and will be living On Campus (we hope the dorm doesn't become a 'cruise ship'). Burlington, VT hasn't been a hotspot, and the school seems to be set up to do everything right in terms of prep, procedures, rules and monitoring both health and behavior... for now I trust him and them, even if I can't control his peers.

Even this is pretty freaking nerve-wracking for his parents - and we have the benefit of knowing how he did last year with just that much responsibility. The Extra Layers of high stakes stuff make it that much more perilous this year. You have my sympathies - and best of luck to your kid.

17. BigDaddyLH

Can we all agree there's something wrong with that? Same situation for us.

18. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I like Kahlil Gibran

Your children are not your children.
    They are the sons and daughters of Life’s longing for itself.
    They come through you but not from you,
    And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
    For they have their own thoughts.
    You may house their bodies but not their souls,
    For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
    You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you.
    For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.
    You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth.
    The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite, and He bends you with His might that His arrows may go swift and far.
    0001 sun.jpg

19. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

My son starts Umass this year. Only classes he will have on campus is labs. Other than that he is living at home and schooling online

Old Plank and Mike Eskimo like this.
  20. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Sending the kids off to college is as much a rite of passage for Mom and Dad as for the kids. I sent my first to University of Rochester and a year later, sent my second to Syracuse. They didn't understand what it took to do that. We didn't qualify for financial aid. We paid for both of them despite that. I'm not complaining. The first son worked the summer at Penn State for the chairman of the Bioengineering department taking math courses there after his Freshman year. He went back to the same lab after his sophomore year. Smart kid. He asked about a trip to Aruba the week between Penn State and Rochester. I grabbed him and his brother together and pointed to the driveway. "Do you see those cars out there?" There was a Volvo wagon and a Jaguar out there at the time. "Sending the two of you to school is like buying both of those cars and throwing them in the trash at the end of the year and then buying replacements. And doing that again the next year and the year after that. That's what it's costing us to send the two of you to school."

I never understood what my parents sacrificed and they really sacrificed. I know that now. My wife and I spent money we saved and borrowed a little more. My mother worked outside the house for the first time. That was different believe me. And believe me when I say sending the kids off to college is as much a rite of passage for Mom and Dad as for the kids.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.