Whitesnake

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by ScubaGeek, May 8, 2019.

1. ScubaGeek

ScubaGeek Tele-Meister

I don't know what it's like in the UK or othe parts of the world, but Stateside, Whitesnake are largely known for one album, that being their 1987 eponymous release, or more specifically the assorted singles from said album, e.g. Still Of The Night, the re-recorded version of Here I Go Again, etc. As such, most people in this country thing of them as "glam metal" or even "hair metal".

But their first six albums betray a sound closer related to their roots in the 70's hard rock scene. The records in question not only feature David Coverdale on lead vocals, but also Jon Lord on keyboards, and on four of the albums, Ian Paice on drums. In other words, who had 3/4's of what was at the time the last two Deep Purple lineups on some of those records, along with the awesome guitars of Mickey Moody and Bernie Marsden. As such, some of the stuff sounds a bit like Deep Purple, while other songs wouldn't have been out of place on a Thin Lizzy record.

Anyway, here's a few highlights for those who only remember the videos they with David Coverdale's second ex-wife-to-be:

Sanity Inn and Chunkocaster like this.
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Stud rock, at it’s, uh, finest!
    Great hair farming, too!

nojazzhere and Chunkocaster like this.
  3. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I liked the song Still Of The Night when it came out, learnt it and we added it to the list of songs we played/ hacked our way through back then.:)
    Cant remember much more from that album other than Here I Go Again. I had owned a Rainbow album and a bunch of deep purple before that.

I spotted Davids ex Tawny introducing the winery dogs with eddie trunk a couple years back at one of their concerts loaded on YouTube. I think she must co host a radio show Sirius fm maybe? Only realised who it was after reading the video comments. Seen some footage of Bernie sitting in with Gov't Mule when they have been in the UK in recent years. Always good to see.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  4. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

I guess the 1987 stuff here to the man in the street although they were a known commodity to rock fans before that. David tended to be a bit of a [ insert favourite expletive] to various band members and has kept gigging despite losing his voice years ago so he's lost some good will over the years.
    Micky and Bernie had a Whitesnake spin off band and Bernie pops up a lot promoting PRS or talking about his guitar collection. I've seen Bernie live a couple of times and lovely guitarist but also a very warm and funny man.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  5. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

Oh, there are a couple of Andertons interviews with Bernie on YouTube. The latest one is mainly about his book and it's very, very nerdy so I'd probably recommend the earlier one. There's also an interview he did with what I think was a student from the local college talking about where he grew up which is a nice watch, sometimes guitarists have things to say if you ask them about more than string gauges.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I guess I mainly viewed them as a "kinda" Purple "wannabe" band. Lotsa hair and dramatic moves and gestures.....all about the image and personas, not really my cup of tea......;)

7. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Ah Whitesnake.... and Tawny....

FLASHBACK
    It's 1987 and I am laying my bed listening to the "Whitesnake" album on my recently acquired high fidelity system I received for graduation. It is a Sunday night and I have skipped church with my girlfriend so I could stay home and chill. I could still catch up with her in an hour or so at the Pizza Joint after service and I could make up an excuse as to why I had missed the service. David is singing in the background and I am lost in the music when my girlfriend suddenly opens my bedroom door. She comes over to my bed and sits down next to my lounging form. She reaches over and turns off the power supply to my stereo killing David's crooning and leans in really close to me putting her lips next to my ear.

She whispers into my ear her breathe hot on my neck. "Either you choose me and GOD, or I am out of here and we are done. If you decide on the package deal call me, if not, well....". With that said she stands up and walks out of my room closing the door behind her.

I laid on the bed for another minute or two letting her words work through my brain. I was not a "believer" and had not been raised in a religious home so going to church all the time did not really work for me. I enjoyed a few of the services, the Youth service was hopping but Sunday night services? Oh how I dreaded them, so stale, so boring which was why I was listening to Whitesnake at home instead of going to the service with her.

So I reach back over and hit the power button and David starts singing again.

No, I don't know where I'm goin'
    But I sure know where I've been
    Hanging on the promises in songs of yesterday
    And I've made up my mind
    I ain't wasting no more time
    Though I keep searchin' for an answer
    I never seem to find what I'm lookin' for
    Oh Lord, I pray you give me strength to carry on
    'Cause I know what it means
    To walk along the lonely street of dreams

And here I go again on my own
    Goin' down the only road I've ever known
    Like a drifter, I was born to walk alone
    And I've made up my mind
    Just another heart in need of rescue
    Waiting on love's sweet charity
    I'm gonna hold on for the rest of my days

And I've made up my mind
    But here I go again
    Here I go again
    Here I go again
    Ooh baby, ooh yeah
    And I've made up my mind
    Ooh baby, ain't wasting no more time
    Here I go again on my own

I decided that day that I really liked that girl. And even though some of the paths she was on was not that interesting to me at the time I was willing to walk that path so I would not have to walk alone.

We will celebrate our 31st wedding anniversary next month, and I am glad that I chose to call her back that night and tell her I would walk with her wherever the road may lead.

bullfrogblues and jimilee like this.
  8. Ebling

Ebling TDPRI Member

I saw them open for Quiet Riot in 85-ish when they were touring the Slide It In record. I enjoyed them that night as they sounded sort of bluesy and rough around the edges. Two years later they became super-famous and slick and my interest was gone at that point.

9. kplamann

kplamann Tele-Holic

Love, love, love the old Whitesnake!

Especially the double live album from two different years, both vinyl discs starting with "Come On".

Ian Paice on drums, Jon Lord on keyboards and one Les Paul / Marshall to each channel on the left and the right.

Seventies hard rock just as the good Lord intended. Referencing to all of the above, and with all respect especially to post #7.

Rock on!

10. kplamann

kplamann Tele-Holic

And you all might want to consider this.

11. Sanity Inn

Sanity Inn Tele-Meister

Slow n easy, awesomeeee

Wine ,women and song, what can i say, luv performing this one

12. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Saw them about 15 years ago with Warrant, Winger and one other band that didn’t start with W. He still had his voice then and I must admit it was a pretty good show until my drunk ex got us kicked out for rushing the stage too many times.

13. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Caught them with Rudy Sarzo on Bass, Vivian Campbell and Adrian Vandenburg in guitar and tommy Aldridge in drums. Great white was the opening act. I was there to see the everybody but Coverdale. Rudy was my bass hero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. ScubaGeek

ScubaGeek Tele-Meister

Rudy had a strange habit of joining bands just after they recorded a record. First he joined Quiet Riot just after they recorded their second album, but before the album cover photo was shot.

Then he joined Ozzy, just after Diary Of A Madman was recorded, but again, before the cover was put together.

Then, after Randy died, he rejoined Quiet Riot, after most of Metal Health was recorded, and once again just in time be pictured on the back cover of the record.

Then after he left Quiet Riot, he joins Whitesnake. This time, the credits on the record itself don't mention him, but he joined in time to be in all the videos for the eponymous album. In fact, none of the guys in those videos, other than David, played on the record, the exception, apparently, being Adrian Vandenberg, who played the guitar solo on the new version of Here I Go Again. Coverdale fired everyone after they were done making the album, and built a new band from the ground up.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.