White Striping, Not Jack White

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by scrapyardblue, Sep 20, 2021.

1. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Not wasting my time grilling chicken that isn't close to a bone and these chicken breasts the size of a turkey taste like cardboard. Haven't grilled any cardboard in a while either.

Then comes this story about white-striping, a disease caused by birds that can't support their body weight and muscle turns to fat. BBQd up a good amount the other night, slow and marinated the same as always. In every bite, a gel like substance that ruined the whole deal. It's reported that 99% of all grocery store chicken is afflicted. That explains my new experience.

Have we seen the end of good wholesome chicken?

Obsessed and uriah1 like this.
  2. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Friend of Leo's

I didn't know there was a name for that, but yeah. Ugh. I've encountered that stuff. It's gross. You see it a lot in fast food joint chicken sandwiches. It puts me off the rest of the sandwich when I see it.

3. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I had an organic chicken breast that was all stringy. . Ya all chicken breasts since the 90s are the size of small pigs. Have to look at the striped thing

scrapyardblue likes this.
  4. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Can you tell by looking at the product before you buy?

Never heard of this.

I usually get the small tenders, cut them in strips and make fajitas.

5. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Never looked because I hadn't heard of it myself. I stay away from humongous chicken for flavor reasons, but can't find smaller chickens anywhere.

Supposed to show striping on outside, but I'd think skin would cover it. I cook with skin on, helps from drying out, then pull it off before the sauce.

6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Just read about this “white striping” this morning in the news. I have been wondering about how these chicken breast could possibly be this large over the last few years. I was on two design teams developing medical devices for injecting cattle with different things that you do not want to know about, so I am not surprised about the chickens at all.

My dad doesn’t care for chicken, because he grew up on a farm and the only chicken that made it to the table were the old ones that stopped laying eggs. So, I’m not sure which is worse at this point. I hunt wild grouse, so I can avoid these issues part of the year.

7. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Afflicted

Chicken thighs, my dudes. Boneless/skinless are easy to deal with, cook fast, and that extra bit of fat content makes them taste way better.

8. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

What he said, noticed it last year. Now only thighs seem edible for the most part

haggardfan1 and ReverendRevolver like this.
  9. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

I quit using chicken breast for the grill or most anything else when I discovered thighs.

They're exactly the right compromise of white and dark meat, and almost impossible to overcook.

10. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

I quit eating chicken in the '80s, and have only heard more reasons to justify my decision ever since.
    There's a reason that they say every gross thing tastes like chicken.
    There's a reason they call it foul, fowl, whatever.

11. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

You have plenty of other animals left to grill though. Here chicken are pretty small. We are lucky i guess. I love chicken.

12. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

Wow, gross! I only buy extra-fancy organic etc. chicken parts at the supermarket because of all the weird s*%& you hear about with US meat production, I've never encountered anything like you describe.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.