White Maple Neck

waynev

TDPRI Member
My new Baja telecaster has a maple neck. Problem is that the neck wood color is almost white. If I leave it in the sun will the maple darken a bit ; even through the finish? .. Hope the poly does not contain UV inhibitors.

Any other way other than stripping, staining and refinishing to get a yellower/brown tone on the maple?

UV lights???? just thinking :?:

Terry O'Malley

Tele-Holic
I like em white

Tinted maple is pretty much the norm these days, so to see a white maple neck is rare........

Enjoy the difference I say.........

Dismalhead

Poster Extraordinaire
I don't mind them white either. Sometimes I look at the darker ones and think it's like someone with a bad fake tan.

tan.jpg

Rich_S

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Yeah, enjoy it as it ages natural. I just bought a Squier VM Strat with a tinted neck and the amber color doesn't look old, it's just... weird.

xFallenx

Friend of Leo's
I love white maple necks and I love a neck with a bit of tint. Necks with too HEAVY tint look fake or made in china. I would never leave a guitar or any part of a guitar in sunlight other than a pickgaurd that is off a guitar. You never know what will be affected and how.

jtelecaster62

Tele-Meister
Quick question: If having having a nicely tinted neck was a major priority, why did you buy a guitar with a "white" neck? There's really no easy way to tint that Baja neck. To do it right, you'll need to spray tinted nitro... which requires a fair amount of prep & finishing work. If you're stuck on having a Baja, your best option would be to sell the neck (they're desirable) and buy a proper tinted neck. Actually, a better option would have been a '50s Classic outfitted with the Baja electronics.

LeftyAl

Friend of Leo's
I think it will age over time.I noticed it with some of my maple necks.Give it a little time.Like a year.

waynev

TDPRI Member
re - why

Quick question: If having having a nicely tinted neck was a major priority, why did you buy a guitar with a "white" neck? There's really no easy way to tint that Baja neck. To do it right, you'll need to spray tinted nitro... which requires a fair amount of prep & finishing work. If you're stuck on having a Baja, your best option would be to sell the neck (they're desirable) and buy a proper tinted neck. Actually, a better option would have been a '50s Classic outfitted with the Baja electronics.

a tinted neck is not a huge priority, just a nice to have; so that's why i'm asking/wondering. The benefits of the Baja (neck profile, pickups, sunburst, inexpensive, etc) far exceed the whiteish neck ; this Baja is very light - so much so that the neck wants to dive if the guitar strap is slippery.

Last edited:

PCollen

Friend of Leo's
My new Baja telecaster has a maple neck. Problem is that the neck wood color is almost white. If I leave it in the sun will the maple darken a bit ; even through the finish? .. Hope the poly does not contain UV inhibitors.

Any other way other than stripping, staining and refinishing to get a yellower/brown tone on the maple?

UV lights???? just thinking :?:

Put it in a BBQ smoker, along with some spare ribs, set to the lowest heat setting for a few hours. Or get a box of cigars and your guitar, go into the bathroom and close the door, and start puffing out.

Controller

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Some people rub shoe polish on the neck and then wipe it off. They say it works.

I would say just enjoy playing it and let it age naturally.

sonny wolf

Friend of Leo's
I don't like a white neck if it is mismatched with a blonde body...I always like when the tint of the blonde body matches the neck's tint more or less.I know poly can age...I have seen many Fender poly finished necks from the 1990s that have ambered nicely over time.Hopefully yours will too.You can try tanning the neck in sunlight....maybe that will work.

Gary in Boston

Friend of Leo's
Don't worry too much about it, after a long cold winter some things always look a little pale and ghostly. I have place a few necks in the sun on my porch and they do darken w/o harm
Just an FYI

Gary

Steveareno

Tele-Afflicted
Got a new Tele style guitar (after a break for a while) with a whitish blond maple neck. I'm finding exposure to sunlight helps darken the neck finish slowly, but nicely. Don't want to go overboard and overheat it. Back in the day, cigarette smoke in bars and dance halls darkened blond necks (and hair) fast, but just as well the smoke isn't around so much these days. I'm kind of digging the non tinted neck. That's how they came back in the 50's. It looks more natural and should wear in nicely over time. I am tempted to do some light sanding to break in the fingerboard in places, to give it a more played in feel and look. Some times it takes years for the finish to wear in on a finished maple fretboard. Just gonna play it a lot for now. Will definitely NOT be sanding the back of the neck.

bakersfield_body_side.JPG

Swang on,