Whiskey recommendations please

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tpaul, Dec 13, 2014.

1. doc w

doc w Tele-Afflicted

Here is another vote for Highland Park. My wife bought me a bottle of 30 yr as few years ago (which I just finished last night). She must think a lot of me. i found out how much it cost - definitely a bank-breaker.

However, I just got Highland Park 15 in NYC and I have to say it is one of the best I have ever had the pleasure of sipping (better than the 18). It is expensive but not crazy stratosphere expensive (like the 30 yr old). I would rather drink less of really good booze than a lot of really crappy stuff.

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I gave up whisky a long time ago in favor of brandy (It's a 'sconnie thing, donchaknow).
    But when I was still drinking it I was enjoying Maker's Mark quite a bit.

3. doc w

doc w Tele-Afflicted

That is the question, isn't it? It's like asking "what is a great Tele that won't break the bank?" That depends on your bank. My "bank" means less than $100 and I don't buy it every week. Maybe 3-4 times a year. I am a sipper and I take my time. It is a special treat for me. If I wanted a wee glass every day, I couldn't afford my favourites.

My upper limit for a bottle of wine, unless it is really special, is 20 bucks, although I usually buy in the 12 buck range and I only have it with dinner on the weekends. I like good beer and a lot of the local craft beers are terrific, although more expensive. I avoid any beer with a really stupid name or with all kinds of silly flavours (pumpkin, raspberry, etc.). And once again, I drink good stuff a little less rather than a lot of bad stuff.

4. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Ah, okay. I was thrilled to find Makers Mark for $40 a handle at a duty free store. Typically, I like to stay below $30 a fifth for my whiskey. Otherwise I feel guilty drinking it, unless it was a gift. So, it really is the arbitrary definitions of "breaking the bank"

5. doc w

doc w Tele-Afflicted

Boom, there is a lot of good liquor out there at a lot of different prices! My wine-snob friends think I am quite neanderthal for thinking 12 bucks is the norm for a bottle of red :D:D.

6. Norton72

Norton72 Tele-Afflicted

I don't know much about different whiskies, but I know what I like. I don't really like a sweet whiskey -- I don't care much for bourbon or Canadian whiskey, but have been known to drink just about anything. I like Irish whiskey alright. I will drink blended scotch with no complaint at all, but always try to make my way to a single malt in the $30 +/- $10 range as stated before. I've noticed a curious thing about this price range, maybe someone here can shed some light on it. A lot of the single malt scotches I see in this price range do not say how old the scotch is. It seems I was told that this means the scotch is less than ten years old. In that price range I've found a couple that I do enjoy. One is Tomatin, and though I can not find the same one on their website that I have seen in liquor stores, I'm thinking that it actually said "aged 10 years" on the bottle. I could be wrong. Another that I have found, and have kept the empty bottle to remind me the next time I buy a bottle, is Glen Moray. It is a 12 year old Speyside. (I'm sure the Tomatin is a Highland). I've never done a comparison, So I couldn't even say how a Highland, a Speyside and an Islay compare to each other.

When I have money to spend on what I want, I like The Glenlivet French Oak Reserve.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  7. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

My favorite budget Scotch is Teacher's -- a higher proportion of malt whiskies in it than most of the other blends, and you can taste them. If I'm spending the money for single malt, I'll go for Laphroig, not for first-timers, though.

But mostly what I buy is Jameson. Relatively inexpensive and a perfectly fine drink.

8. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

it's all just rotgut anyway :D

the smoothest whiskey is still jarring to the system, it's all just relative in what one has let themselves become accustomed to

9. Veebus52

Veebus52 Tele-Meister

Once the barley is malted, it needs to be toasted (or roasted if you prefer) to halt the malting and to develop the taste. The same process for beer or whiskey, only the mash is distilled to make whiskey.

10. Tarnisher

Tarnisher Friend of Leo's

Copper Fox Rye, the one I posted a few pages back, is smokey like Scotch because they make their own malt and smoke it with apple wood.

11. Jim DaddyO

Jim DaddyO TDPRI Member

[​IMG]

12. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

My favorite Irish whiskey.
    [​IMG]

13. jbdrumbo

jbdrumbo Tele-Holic

For budget whisky, The Famous Grouse.

For primo whisky, 30 year Laphroaig.

14. bertramladner

bertramladner TDPRI Member

Jameson, Benders, Basil Hayden, Woodford

15. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

Scotch: Ardbeg.

Bourbon: Booker's

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.