1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Whiskey noob

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tele-nova, May 3, 2021.

1. rojo412

rojo412 Tele-Meister

Another endorsement for Knob Creek over here. LOVE that stuff.

And if you happen to be in Kentucky (the only place I’ve seen it available), TW Samuels is dirt cheap and really damn good.

tele-nova likes this.
  2. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

That's more than I drink. I'm only doing 1 bottle a week. Take it easy, Sport.

tele-nova likes this.
  3. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

Not a bourbon man. Rye or irish for me

I don't think you need to go fancy. Overholt rye is really good and not expensive., I know I know, no snob appeal. Try it. Paddy's is a nice reasonably priced irish whiskey: again no snob appeal but good.

Nightclub Dwight and tele-nova like this.
  4. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

It’s worth it. I’ve never enjoyed my work so much in my life… Except maybe when I was growing up on a farm.

5. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

What's "KT"?

tele-nova likes this.
  6. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

Once you go black, you never go back.

;)

[​IMG]

rebelwoclue, DekeDog and tele-nova like this.
  7. tele-nova

tele-nova Tele-Meister

Lol I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not. I meant one or two highball. Usually poor a double

Torren61 likes this.
  8. tele-nova

tele-nova Tele-Meister

I was about to ask the same thing.

9. tele-nova

tele-nova Tele-Meister

Thanks for all the recommendations guys!

10. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Is RAD Radiology?

11. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

It's not sarcasm. It's gentle teasing. I know what you meant. :D

tele-nova likes this.
  12. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I just bought a bottle of that I have not opened it yet. Sipping on a bottle of Buffalo Trace.

13. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

Bulleit is my favorite bourbon, just the orange label stuff (which I think is just MGP whiskey). It's reasonably priced but can be a little heavy handed with the flavors. Lots of other great suggestions but its hard to find family bourbon anymore for a reasonable price. Kentucky bourbon is really good stuff, just tastes more refined somehow. Old Forester is good and inexpensive. Knob Creek is fun.

Irish Whisky is probably more enjoyable and easier to drink. Quiet Man is my current favorite. But I like Tullamore Dew for an inexpensive irish that still has some interesting flavors, and McConnell's is good too. the Bushnill and Jamison's stuff is ok, but it seems kinda like fast food for whiskey. Just really common.
    They say Slane is good too, but I really don't care for it. It's just trying to hit you over the head with its flavors, no thanks. But I could see where someone else may love it. It does have something going on there.

tele-nova likes this.
  14. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

I'm more of a scotch guy. And there's so many great ones out there. But as far as a bourbon to drink neat, try Wild Turkey 101. It's well-balanced, very inexpensive, not too sweet, and often overlooked because it's so ubiquitous. Make sure you don't get Wild Turkey 86, which is completely bland and forgettable. WT 101 is surprisingly good, particularly at that price point. Enjoy!

15. tele-nova

tele-nova Tele-Meister

It is

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  16. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Buffalo Trace
    Monkey Shoulder
    Woodford Reserve
    Knob Creek
    Larceny
    But also the twins Elijah Craig and Evan Williams are good, and low priced. Same company, branded and marketed to lean into different demographics.
    Old Crow is pretty good for low cost
    Wild Turkey is good
    I avoid Bulliet, Four Roses, and the low cost Canadian brands. I avoid most Rye.
    Peated Whisky is a something to try in a small bottle so you know what it is. Surprising how it tastes like burning a rubber tire.

About burning ... do you have a bbq or fire pit? Or a big metal coffee can?
    Cut and split some red or white oak into finger-sized chunks. Roast, toast, and char them, douse with water to put the fire out and let dry.

Buy the biggest cheapest grain vodka off the lowest shelf in your local store. Poke a handful of those bits of wood into that vodka, put the cap back on and set it on a shelf where you'll see it every few days. When all or most of the wood becomes 'sinkers' and the vodka gets darker, have sip. You'll be surprised at the great quality whiskey you get. Whiskey aging is a factor of liquid volume to wood surface area. You can get the equivalent of four years barrel aged in a month or two this way. As you sample off the bottle the ratio climbs and the speed of change accelerates. Buy another bottle and over pour into the first and you'll have a near infinite supply of aged whiskey. Your own brand.

Many of the boutique distilleries buy whiskey from the big producers to put in their own barrels to age for a couple of years where they can legally package and market it as their own whiskey brand.

rebelwoclue and eddiewagner like this.
  17. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Afflicted

I keep a decent selection on hand. I tend to go back to Glenfiddich 16 yr and 21 year for special occasions, Monkey Shoulder or Bulleit for mixing, Nikka Coffey Grain (don’t shy away from the Japanese whiskys, there’s some really excellent ones) and Limousin rye.

18. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Another vote for Bulleit, and Eagle Rare isn't bad either for the scratch.

A while back, I went on a hunt for "my" whiskey and ultimately settled on... tequila. Not Cuervo. I like Camarena Reposado.

Don't drink much these days but if I'm going to drink something neat, I'm about 50/50 on Bulleit and CR. Plus, CR, Patron Citronge, and line juice 2-1-1 is the ultimate Margarita so the CR does double duty.

tele-nova likes this.
  19. tele-nova

tele-nova Tele-Meister

A guy was looking for a bottle of Nikka when I was in the store. He was raving about it

Unionjack515 likes this.
  20. whole tone

whole tone TDPRI Member

I like scotch neat
    Rye is good in a cocktail
    Bourbon is meh

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.