While my guitar gently cheeps

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Kid Telecaster, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Kid Telecaster

Kid Telecaster TDPRI Member

D0994D8F-679A-4FF4-8701-00652CFD3C7E.jpeg Was just looking at my fender guitars that I bought secondhand and just wondering what lives they had before they entered mine. Who owned them, were they gigging guitars or just show pieces on someone’s wall at some stage, handled by a professional or just a kid learning out? What different lives do our guitars go through?

Reason is I bort a fairly unique but cheap copy ES335 a while back, only 14 were made to be given as prizes in a Jim Beam contest promotion Oz wide, two in each state. They were decal covered with Jim Beam logo material and fairly distinctly unique. I paid $200 bucks or so for mine, changed the strings and tuners but it was never a great guitar, just crappy and cheepy really so I onsold it to a dealer for $80 and took a loss, after struggling to sell it on Gumtree (our version Craigslist) for $130.
    Recently saw same or similar guitar on Gumtree for something like 6 or 8 hundred dollars and if that is my old ES335 then Jeez, I mean, you can get a reasonable secondhand MIM for that over here. And it probably is the same one, I live on an island state (Tasmania) and this was located 200 kms from where I live. So someone is making a motza or deluded.

Just wondering, anybody else have some stories about guitars that have passed thru their lives? Not that mine is a great story, unless the bloke selling that ES335 is Keef Richard and I don’t think he lives in Hobart... don’t think he’d need $800 either :)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  2. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

I have one. A number of years ago I bought my first Tele, an '83 I found online that I probably paid a bit too much for. But it was clean and unmolested, at least unmolested until I got my hands on it. It came in a vintage case that had the letters ALRN stenciled on it, and a sticker inside that indicated it had been in the SF Bay area. A friend of mine who had lived in that area sent me a photo of a band from the 80s - Alternate Learning, which then became Game Theory. In the photo, their front man (Scott Miller) is holding an identical Telecaster and visible on stage is a case like mine with ALRN stenciled on it in exactly the same place. Miller tragically committed suicide a few years ago, was an interesting power pop songwriter who never quite hit it big, much as he tried. He had also written a book about the history of pop music - he was quite the expert on the form. I tried to offer to give the guitar to his family after his death, thinking maybe they could benefit from having it back, but their representative didn't think the Telecaster was Scott's (I am almost sure he was wrong). But I did try. Don't have that guitar anymore, but its history was interesting and sad.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  3. mfowler314

mfowler314 Tele-Meister

Back in the early 2000s I bought a used mid-80s Yamaha SA2000 (also an ES335 style) at the local guitar shop. I fell in love with it and took it home. Couple weeks later I took it to my guitar lesson and when I pulled it out of the case my teacher said "Hey that was mine!" He had traded it in to that store some time before when I bought it. I no longer take lessons from him but we stay in touch on FB and he occasionally posts a picture of him playing it and I keep him up to date on its current status. He is so happy that he gets to keep tabs on how it is!

bender66, Kid Telecaster and Torren61 like this.
  4. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Afflicted

I bought a '70s Gibson SG Standard for $300 in Sydney years ago. It was a nice guitar to play but I just didn't bond with the colour; it was sunburst. For me, an SG has to be red. So I traded it against another Gibbo.
    Anyway it is now on Gumtree, here in Perth, for $3000! :eek: Its been advertised for at least a year now; no takers, no wonder.

Kid Telecaster and Torren61 like this.
  5. DNestler

DNestler Tele-Meister

I hope my kids will tell my instruments' stories. I use my guitars and mandolins well and they come from a variety of sources and places. But don't really own anything vintage. Their stories are still being written.

I wish wish wish I had a pre Civil War Martin if only to contemplate the history of such an instrument. :)

Daniel

6. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I've got a early 70's Yamaha hollow body that someone carved their Social Security number into the back of the body. The number indicates that the person was from Virginia.

Another guitar, a 70's Hohner classical, has a person's initials and dorm room number carved on the back.

A Global/Harmony H-801 I bought at a storage unit auction had hung on the wall of a seaside bar for several years, betweenthe stage and kitchen entrance. I've seen it there in the background of some band photos from the late 80's to early 90's.

Kid Telecaster, Torren61 and RiverDog like this.
  7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I bought and imported a 25 year old Yamaha SG800. It was so clean and the frets hardly used, I believe it spent most of it's previous life under the bed of some old lady in Japan.

Kid Telecaster likes this.
  8. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I got one of the Squier '51's back when MF was blowing them out for less than a hundo out the door. I did some mods on mine, custom pick guard, added a three way switch and a tone control. Played the tar out of that guitar for a number of years.

Saw a guy wanting to trade an ES type "Ventura" hollow body guitar on CL. I was cash poor so I told him I had a few guitars to trade. He ended up picking the '51 (there was a MIM P Bass, a ESP LTD 10, and an Epi LP all in there as well) and we made the trade. I ended up seeing that guitar back on CL about a year later at a pawn shop. They had it listed as a "custom" and had a price tag on ii well above what I paid for it. It was gone in about a week. I still wonder where that guitar ended up.

9. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I bought a 1995 Jimmy Page Signature LP from San Bernardino GC in 2006. I ended up trading it at a guitar show in Pamona about a year or so later for a 1977 Les Paul "clownburst" and a 1988 black Strat with gold Lace Sensors. I saw a YouTube ad for that same guitar at a shop in Sydney about five years ago. They didn't know I'd swapped out the gold Grover tuners and bridge for new ones. I kick myself for letting that one go. It had the earliest serial number of any I've ever seen and had the most bad ass figured top, too. I just didn't know what I had...

That's a thread for later... "The One You Let Get Away". I'll post pictures there.

10. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Best ‘cheap deal’ I ever got was a trade for a Tele parts guitar I built up with vintage stack humbuckers, a 4-way switch, and two push/pulls for a total of 12 sounds. What did I get for it? A late ‘60’s mapleglow Rickenbacker 330....in the case. The fellow late had me install piezo saddles and a separate control circuit on an original style P-bass control plate, which fit right below the Tele plate and looked like it belonged there. He will never turn that parts Tele loose.

Kid Telecaster and Torren61 like this.
  11. Kid Telecaster

Kid Telecaster TDPRI Member

Hmm, how many years ago did you buy that SG for $300? Reason I ask is because I bought an EB0 short scale bass guitar in Adelaide, new in 1972, for around $300 by memory (on hire purchase). And buying a Fender precision bass wud only have cost about $30 more but a good weekly wage was $60 then.
    I bet that EB0 wudnt have $3000 on the ticket now. Good guitar but no way it shud be priced in the $000’s.

12. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Meister

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    I have only acquired 2 used guitars, and only 1 has me think about stuff like that. One is a crappy (being kind, here....no truss rod, fretboard markers were stickers (have peeled them off) and all off by one fret, starting at the 2nd fret, bridge is a mile high) Israili made acoustic that my father-in-law bought for my brother-in-law, he never learned to play, so it sat in a case in a closet for 40+ years.....my FIL gave it to me last year, but the guitar is so sad, it's not worth getting it fixed, in my estimation. I did get a mint case out of the gift ;) AND, bonus, it included the very first beginners lesson book in the Mel Bay lesson books from back in the day (The Mel Bay Method, iirc). The other used one is a near mint '65 Harmony H15, acquired this spring.....have thought about it's possible past, being almost 54 yrs old, but ….. based on condition, the previous owner(s) either played it for a short time and cased and closeted it, or took VERY good care of it - the case, the cheap cardboardy Harmony case of that era, appears to have seen some travel, has definitely seen better days, but, the guitar is in amazingly great shape, all original and perfectly functional, so.....I doubt there's much history there either....so I have 2 guitars that were likely played a few times by kids and put into storage. But, the Harmony has arisen from a life of darkness and shall live a played life. LOL, my kids are already bickering over who gets the Harmony when I die

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.