1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Which would you buy?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by devilinthedust, Jul 8, 2014.

1. devilinthedust

devilinthedust TDPRI Member

I have a chance to buy a Standard US tele or a Squire classic vibe tele. Both are around 300.00. The classic vibe is new, the standard used but in good shape. Which do you buy and why? Haven't tried the classic vibe yet, but have read so many good things about them. Has me in the mood for a new addition.

2. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

American standard for $300? Sure it's not the Mexican? You really can't go wrong but the standard either version is a better deal.

3. TelePhartz

TelePhartz Friend of Leo's

I'd tend toward the standard, but play 'em both first. Which one plays better?

4. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

Am Stnd 300?

5. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

$300.00 for a used CV is high, but $300.00 for an American Standard is about half what they usually go for.

6. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Assuming it's a Standard Tele made in Mexico and not the US, I'd still go with the one with the Fender label. If it's actually USA made, jump quick 'cause that's a heck of a deal.

7. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

echo what everyone has said-even if its Mexican standard its still pretty good -they go for $500 new while American standards are double that. If its Mexican standard and really beat up then I would hold out for one in better shape (assuming you play it and don't feel the magic) for around $300

8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Even the CV, if it is new and a nice one, is fair at $ 300.

I'd still get that Standard (which is likely a MIM).

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

+9

10. Kyluckyman

Kyluckyman Tele-Holic

I would go for the standard. If it was US, 300 is a steal. If it is Mexican, offer 250.

11. BUILTACASTER

BUILTACASTER TDPRI Member

Get the squier since the Am Stan is probably fake. Take the neck off the standard and beat the guy with it if it says Mexico. Maybe even buy it from the choking corpse for a discount but $300 is pretty "all day long" for one around here. The c.v. is a good deal too according to ebay and the fanboys. You can't really go wrong for $275 even if the standard doesn't has its greencard provided you don't break the head off in his ass.

12. DRFP

DRFP Tele-Holic

Why 250? They are going for 300 if in very good shape, I'd only offer 250 if in good shape or worse, If your basing it on "Mexican" then your sniffing the corks too much (IMHO)

13. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe in Kentucky, but MIM goes for +/- $350 in my neck of the woods.

14. FallsRockShop

FallsRockShop Tele-Holic Vendor Member

To directly answer your question...if it is a true and verified American Standard for $300 in good shape then you shouldn't have even taken the time to type this question and post it to the forum. There's no pragmatic defensible argument for a CV playing, sounding, or generally being better than AmStd assuming both are properly setup.

It's more than likely just a Standard made in North America (Mexico). MIMs in very nice shape are going for $300-350ish here in OhIo right now. I'd take it over a CV any day of the week. Not because of the logo, but because of the many examples of each I've played, worked on, repaired or modified, the Fenders are of better quality in general than the CVs.

Just my $0.02, happy potential new guitar day.

15. DRFP

DRFP Tele-Holic

299 in TN

16. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Most of the folks on the TDPRI find either the CV or the MIM standard far superior to any american made model unless it's the AV '52 or derivaties thereof. Maybe.:D

17. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

Personally, I would buy the standard (MIM if it was a recent build). I like the necks better.
    I would be doubtful the Standard is a U.S.A. because of the price. The used ones I see on Ebay start at $500.00 and go up.

18. muzicmaken

muzicmaken Tele-Holic

If it's an Am Standard at $300 it not a steal...it's stolen....lol

19. 66Satellite

66Satellite Tele-Holic

Get the Standard. I just got this one in good shape for $275

[​IMG]

20. devilinthedust

devilinthedust TDPRI Member

Went back and looked at the Fender today when I had more time and hadn't worked all night. Not really sure what it is. I pretty much went over it with a fine tooth comb, and it just didn't look right. The fender decals looked legit, but the bridge was wrong. Volume and tone knobs didn't appear to set right and were domed, not flat like all that i've seen. Plus they were not set with screws either. No skunk stripe on the neck. The input jack is square, not round. Neck plate was from a squier. Honestly, looked like somebody attempted to create a fake for themselves and failed badly. I'm pretty sure the shop's owner doesn't know it's a fake or atleast has issues. I admit I haven't seen ever Fender made, but this one just has too many issues for me to believe it might be real anymore. I guess what they say is true. If it seems to good to be true, it probably is. Guess i'll keep looking.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.