1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Which wiring option to choose

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by bancika, Feb 24, 2015.

1. bancika

bancika TDPRI Member

As you may have seen the other thread, I'm in the middle of building a "travelcaster" with Dimarzio Chopper as the only bridge pickup. Now, I'm still not sure how to employ that pickup to get as many interesting sounds as possible. I'll have a custom control plate made for me with two round holes that can be used for pots or rotary switches (or maybe a toggle). So far I had these options in mind, all have pros and cons.

• Tone and volume push/pulls - one would do parallel/series, the other would bypass controls. However, they don't have enough poles to do the real "blower" switch, so it will bypass pots, but parallel/series switch will still be functional. I like this, but it will miss the real single coil split sound. Also, I never use tone control on other guitars...but they have at least two pickups, so I'm not sure if I'll need it here.
    • rotary switch (2 pole, 3 position) and push pull volume pot. Rotary would give me single coil, parallel and series coils. Still not sure what to do with the push pull on volume. Maybe turn volume into tone?! It wouldn't be very effective to use it to bypass volume control alone.
    • rotary switch that would work as an esquire switch + concentric tone/volume pots. My least favorite option so far, as I wouldn't have any split or parallel modes.
    • the same as previous but with an extra ON-ON-ON toggle to do the splitting. Probably the most versatile option, but I don't like toggles. And I'm not a huge fan of concentric pots either.

any input is highly appreciated.

Cheers

2. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Single vol and tone that push for HB with 047 cap and pulls for neck side coil with 023 cap
    I did this on epi junior and it is great.
    You will use tone knob a lot to simulate neck pickup.

3. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Volume control push pull for series/parallel

2nd pot is a spin-a-split grounding the bridge-side coil, the pull function activates an Eldred cap (0.0047 to ground) or a fixed tone control (e.g. 100k trim pot + 0.02 to ground) .. Or the pull function is your vol pot bypass.

4. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

If you want to do a lot of heavy distortion then look up the Tone Fiend passive treble and bass circuit, which is a modified G&L PTB and also similar used on Reverend Bass Contour. This would need the two-knob tone pot.

parallel (SD) treble bleed is good too.

5. bancika

bancika TDPRI Member

I forgot to mention treble bleed. I'll probably go with series kiman-style bleed circuit. So far, I found it to be the best on all guitars I've tried.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.