1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

which Vintage type pickups am I looking for ?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by brogh, Jan 24, 2015.

1. brogh

brogh Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Hello Guys

I'm trying to get a hint on what to look at,
    I really s**k in pickup "sound" knowledge, so please give me some hints.

I LOVE the 52's pup, especially the newer ones, but some times I really want something just a bit bit hotter.
    I would love to keep the basses and the general tone of the vintage pickups, but with just a bit more "grit" when needed.

Please don't suggest "exotic" pickups because it'll be tough getting them here.

Custom Shop Fenders, Di Marzio, Duncans, Fralin are easely available here.

I heard the twisted tele sound liked it, I need to check out the custom shop 64 pure vintage, I've read great things about fralins here.

if you have suggestions for a pickup pair that has these kind of specs/sounds please suggest, i'm not plannig to spend tooo much.

Cheers

Thank You

2. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

I'd start out by deciding whether it was '50s vintage or '60s vintage I liked most but from your description I'd either go with something in the '60s vintage or some over wound '50s for more output. Lower output usually = more twang and less grit.

3. fakeocaster

fakeocaster Tele-Afflicted

Fralin blues specials

4. The vandal

The vandal Tele-Meister

The SD Jerry Donahue is a really versatile bridge pup. You can easily get it to twang, but it has some balls too. I had one of those paired with a twang king in the neck of a MIM standard, and they sounded great together.

5. xhqm4457

xhqm4457 TDPRI Member

Dimarzio Twang King, or Area T 615. Also - SD Broadcaster.

6. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

The JD paired with the Twisted Tele would be a nice combo. The JD is very chameleon like. Sounds great clean and plays very well with pedals.

7. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

ToneRider's TRT2 'Hot Classics' are a vintage 50's voicing, wound a little bit 'hotter' they have a bit more mids and output. These pickups are the same that are used in the Squire Classic Vibe 50's teles (Only in the Vintage Blonde Color)
    Dont let that turn you off, they're actually very good pickups considering their price.

8. brogh

brogh Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Hi Guys !

Thank you for the suggestion, I will check them out in these days and see what's more in my taste !

Thank You !

9. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

10. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

As soon as you say "something vintage but hotter," you've moved away from vintage. At that point, all bets are off and ALL pups and options are on the table.

I'd find the sound of someone I'd like to emulate, find out why s/he used, and move from there.

No one has mentioned Rio Grande pups, so I will. They are freakin' fantastic. Had them in a MIM Tele and they really helped that baby sing.
    http://www.riograndepickups.com/scart/SubCategories.asp?ProductName=For+Tele&SubCatName=FOR+BRIDGE

Now, later I built a warmoth tele and used Fender Custom shop Nocaster pups, and for me, they were sooooo amazing.

11. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

Look No Further.

Don Mare

THE 0038's" for Broadcaster® and NoCaster®

"The 0038's"
    were also found on the early Lap Steels.

The Bridge uses correct smaller vintage enamel wire 43 and AlNiCo 3 magnets.

The Neck uses correct vintage enamel wire 43 and AlNiCo 5 magnets (as found on the original Broadcasters®)!

A very much-favored 1950-1951 Broadcaster® era set of pickups! (for early Broadcaster® Tone)

Available in sets!
    6.6k Neck is our 1955 model with the transparent Nickel Silver Cover.

Bridge is available in 8k / 9k / 10k, or standard 11.5k!
    Available WITH or WITHOUT zinc-coated base plate. Originally, the lap steels did not have base plates, adding treble and top end (Nice!).

10k: *TOP-SELLER!* "Keefer"; Loud with pushed mids. Still bright and cutting. Used for slightly brighter "K. Richards-like" Rock and Roll tone. Very popular!

11.5 k: "0038"; Standard. Perfect balance. Best EQ.

12. Chet Johnson

Chet Johnson Tele-Afflicted

I recommend the Seymour Duncan five two pickups. Alnico 5 magnets on the bass strings so they arent muddy and boomy, and alnico 2 magnets on the three treble strings so that they are warmer and no icepick treble.

Tone is very balanced and warm. Output is still lower output vintage output

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.