1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Which TV Jones Filtertron at tele neck?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by ChipOnly, Dec 4, 2020.

1. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Tele-Holic

Hey guys - I just picked up a 69 thinline partscaster with a PAF humbucker at the neck, and as expected, it totally overwhelms the bridge pickup (some fender american vintage thing).

I bought it expecting to swap pups. Here is what I am thinking, please check my math and offer your collective wisdom please.

I want to put a Seymour Duncan Jerry Donahue model at the bridge, it's like "vintage hot" at around 7.5 dcr. Great pickup. I was thinking of putting a TV Jones classic at the neck, 4 dcr.

I'm hoping the Filtertron is a good match for the JD bridge in terms of output and eq profile. To anyone here with experience or knowledge - is it?

Thanks much for any light you can shed!

2. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

Not familiar with the JB, but you may want to consider the Super’Tron instead of the Classic. Very similar to the Classic, but more output.

3. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Tele-Holic

Yeah, that's the thing, I fear the output! :D

That DCR of a measly 4 on the TV jones I think is misleading in terms of output....was hoping somebody might have experience pairing the TVJ classic neck with a similar/typical tele bridge pup.

4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

The hot bridge pickup will overpower the neck pickup. That might work out OK. Just depends how much you use the neck pickup for lead/solo work. Not that it won't sound OK but there'll be a volume disparity.

A vintage bridge pickup in the 6kohm range would be a better match for the Classic.

Alternatively, keep the PAF and get a US Standard bridge pickup - they're about 7.5kohm with gaussed up magnets and plenty of output.

5. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

I have a humbucker neck with
    42 wire wound to 7.2k DCR. It puts out 3.8H.

That was paired for a while with a bridge wound to 9.2k and 3.8H. The balance was fine.

Now I have it with a Bill Lawrence stack, 12k and 3.4H. Also fine, and hum cancelling itself.

6. CalebAaron666

CalebAaron666 Tele-Holic

I’d keep it simple and get a TV Classic neck pickup.
    Can’t really go wrong with one of those.

Zepfan and BlueCajun like this.
  7. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I just recently got a set of the TVJones Classic pickups and I'd recommend a neck to pair with a bridge Tele pickup.
    You want a neck pickup that has less output than the bridge pickup. Having said that, even though the classic neck pup has a 4k DCR, it's no slouch when it comes to output. Filtertrons can be hot and loud, you can't judge pickups output by DCR alone. Henries figure in that equation too.

Just remember that pickup height adjustment makes a lot of difference in tone and volume output for every pickup.

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I like Supertrons.
    I have them in three of my guitars.
    They are very similar sonically to the Classic, perhaps a little louder/warmer, IMO.

9. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Tele-Meister

If it really is a PAF, sell it and have Fender Custom Shop make you something special...
    Filtertrons... I'd be tempted to fit a TV Jones Classic/Classic Plus BRIDGE pickup at the neck against a Tele bridge pickup.
    You'll keep the Filtertron character, without going too hot and muddy.
    Worth mentioning that Filtertrons can be adjusted very close without causing rogue harmonics or string pull.

10. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

I'm gonna put in another vote for the SuperTron. The blades give it more inductance than a standard 'Tron, so you'll still have some of that warmth on tap. Sounds fantastic paired with the Classic+ in my Gretsch 5120.
    The Classic does sound great, but I have that paired with another Classic at the bridge of my Cabronita so take that with a grain of salt. It's definitely brighter than a traditional Tele neck pickup. It depends on what your goal is.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.