1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

which tubes for max clean headroom? truth or bull-oney about tubes?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by DjimiWrey, Jan 28, 2021.

1. DjimiWrey

DjimiWrey Tele-Meister

thanks,
    thanks, man... i know you've got tons of experience with gear
    i'm a twin reverb guy since the 70's and it's still my fave amp
    i've tried every ss amp and they're plenty loud without being heavy but they're missing
    something in the middle; that deep clear sparkle of the fender chassis with 6L6 voice

problem is i just can't lift a twin in and out of the trunk anymore
    i even use a hand truck to move my hotrod deluxe these days
    the scx2 has a decent twin voice and i'm tryna maximize that while minimizing weight

i appreciate alla y'alls input

Jakedog likes this.
  2. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

A very efficient speaker is going to make more difference than tubes. JJ power tubes are great for taking abuse and keeping on trucking. If you stay with a 10" speaker consider a WGS G10C or Eminence Rajin Cajun for more dbs at lower settings. If you step up to a 12" speaker there are many options that are 100db+.

DjimiWrey and northernguitar like this.
  3. DjimiWrey

DjimiWrey Tele-Meister

i guess i'm gonna finally have to learn how to do the "bias" thing... gawd, i just wanna play
    always good to keep learning stuff in old age tho

Wally likes this.
  4. DjimiWrey

DjimiWrey Tele-Meister

thanks, gerry.. i know you know what i'm talking about when it comes to spine vs. amp weight.
    i did watch that video a few weeks ago and was pleased to find somebody took the time to make it

5. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Does that amp have a speaker sim line out?

If it has a cab simulated line out, maybe try something like a head rush FRFR powered cabinet? Light as a feather and 2000 watts. That way you could set the amp as clean as you want, and use the outboard powered cab to give you all the volume you’d ever want or need.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...108-2000-watt-1x8-inch-powered-guitar-cabinet

Just trying to find creative solutions.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    DjimiWrey likes this.
  6. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

Great looking joinery on that cab!

7. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

Nope
    Thanks, but no joinery job on my part on this. It's made from a repurposed shelf.

8. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

With a bias tool that reads both current draw and plate voltage, it can be a simple process to maintain sonics from one set of tubes to the next...even with cathode Biasing because you then know what plate dissipation you like. ......and buy tubes that are graded the same from set to set. Of course, getting to that point of finding what you like in that cathode biased circuit might be a trial, eh? Lol...
    This is definitely taking things to a fine point, but that is where one can go IF one wants to maintain sonics. I agree that different tubes and/or Biasing will not greatly increase or decrease perceptible volumes, but their are Sonic differences.
    It is a challenging world, eh? We can’t carry enough weight so as to have enough power to play as cleanly as we might like, and a higher power amp won’t breakup early enough to please us!!

DjimiWrey likes this.
  9. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Just changing V1 won't make a whole lot of difference.

I tend to use the same model for V1 and V2 if they're both in the pre-amp so I won't waste too much time tube rolling. Then I swap the two positions to see if they sound better, using the pair that I liked best.

10. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

I did on my Traynor YCV20WR for a 12AU7 and it made a world of difference. It changed that native fuzz like OD to something mellower, creamier.

11. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

The tube "hardness" or "softness" - as you justifiably name it @DjimiWrey - is narrowly associated with the degree of vacuum in the tube itself.

Tight vacuum tubes sound "harder" when clipped, have more headroom and attack, less compression, can afford more plate dissipation, and last longer because they hold their tolerance tighter over time. This is often the prerogative of military or industrial tubes if they have been suitably stored over time.

Soft vacuum tubes sound "softer" when clipped, less headroom and beefy punch, more compression and sensivity, but they widhstand less plate dissipation (beware red plating) and have a shorter life duration because their tolerances degrade faster over time.

In the early days of Radio, it was well-known that lower vacuum tubes were better for receiver detection stages (where more sensivity was needed) and higher vacuum tubes were prefered for RF amplification stage (where gain stability was required).

-tbln.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
    4wotitswurth likes this.
  12. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Does the Gain knob work on Voice #1?
    I thought #1 was separate, and just the sole Volume knob

* sorry if I got that wrong

13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I have more than 20 tube amps and more than 100 spare tubes.
    I have no opinion to voice at this time.

14. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Changing your output tubes alone will never get you more than a few watts of power from a pair of 6L6GCs, maybe 2 for 6V6GTs. Switching out standard 12AX7s for lower gain variants will alter the position of your knobs as the drive sets in, but it'll still only be making the same amount of power.

Changing 6V6GTs to 6L6GCs requires a lot of real mods to an amp, I doubt a SCX2 will have enough power to properly operate 6L6s, and you'd need a different output transformer to make any real gains in actual power.

Changing speakers is the way to go for getting more volume at the same settings from any amp. The Hot Rod Series originally came with some of the most efficient speakers in the game, which is why they seemed so damn loud for 40 watts, while the TRRI came with, if memory serves, much less efficient speakers (the C12Ks) which is why everyone wants theirs with the EVs or big JBLs. I don't know what speaker you already have, but if it's an 8" speaker, there are not a lot of high-SPL upgrades out there.

15. radiocaster

Well yeah, obviously. I meant with different types of 12AX7s.

DrBGood likes this.
  16. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

Ooops ...

17. radiocaster

No problem, it's not like I was clear about that in my post.

18. DjimiWrey

DjimiWrey Tele-Meister

that's pretty amazing and a in 1x8.. heck now i'm just spoiled for choice

19. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

I beta tested for Fender and the XD was one I tested. I bought one I was so impressed. THe XD covers a lot of territory and is a TREMENDOUS value. Dr Bgood did the logical procedure to get max potential. But that is what we all should do for most every small amp. Designated cabinets. I have tiny tweeds and my biggest amps is a prri. 1x12 Celestion gold brings another world to all. Or my 10"Celststion gold. THe XD will NEVER substitute for a FUll Twin sound in front of you. THe twin is powerful & heavy. If you half to have that sound and you want to be portable, Put a Twin chassis in a head cabinet. THen buy two 1x12's cabs or one of those fancy port city 2x12's. WAy better than a twin brushing your wrist and whacking your back.

A twin is to an XD what a Leslie is to a chorus. Twin moves air, doppler moves air. XD or a chorus hardly move air. One more thing, if your going to do the twin thing, have a home & a nice sized room or you never drive the Ferrari except in the alley.

DjimiWrey likes this.
  20. DjimiWrey

DjimiWrey Tele-Meister

i admire your skills, wally. i'll spend some time on biasing tutorials today

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.