Which tube amp(s) for headroom w a *bit* of hair?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by corbo, Feb 16, 2020.

1. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

+1 for a vox ac type of amp.
    « Hair » often comes with running out of headroom, but some amps like Voc AC’s seem to always have a bit of hair to their tone, even at lower volume. It must be an EQ thing.
    One with a master volume (or power scaling like on Morgan amps) would give you all the flexibility volume-wise to keep your hair consistent.

corbo likes this.
  2. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

vibrolux reverb. probably the best amp ever made for that descripiton. only slightly louder than a deluxe reverb.

3. NBS2005

NBS2005 TDPRI Member

They are not cheap, but the Mesa Boogie Cali Tweed in head or cab would do everything you want. Power settings of 2, 10, 20, 30, and 40 watts depending on what tubes get used and how.

I've had mine for a few months. I play it all the time; at home and at jams. My pedals (a TS clone, a delay, a Joyo AM sound) are not getting used at all. Not gigging with it yet, but I'm sure it would handle whatever I could throw at it.

Again, not cheap, but for me oh so worth it.

corbo likes this.
  4. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

Marshall Origin 50

Plenty of headroom, especially with 3 way attenuator (50/20/1 watts)

Classic Marshall without crazy gain. Has a boost switch and master volume, but really only gives you a fair amount of hair. Works good with pedals too.

It's a solid rig I believe. On sale too right now.

Axis29 and corbo like this.
  5. graybeard65

graybeard65 Tele-Meister

One amp that has served me really well is a Marshall DSL40C. It will do passable "country cleans" with the guitar volume rolled down, and will get as much dirt as you want or generally need. Some players will want or need more gain on hand, but I've found that with the gain at 9 O'clock, less than 1/3 of what the amp has, I have enough gain to play anything on a classic rock playlist -

All of the usual disclaimers here - YMMV, do not use this advice before operating heavy machinery etc.

corbo likes this.
  6. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

5E7 Tweed Bandmaster or 5F4 Tweed Super with the 5E7 local negative feedback value. They're the same amp. That resistor and the number of speakers are the only things that separate them.

corbo likes this.
  7. Condor84

Condor84 TDPRI Member

Also, I forgot to mention that I'm running my Alamo Montclair without any global negative feedback, so I'm able to push it a little more. With it intact, the amp runs clean, right untill 11 on the Volume knob. Simple modification to make without screwing with anything. Also, it's cathode biased as stock, so it's super easy to maintain.

But after seeing the Marshall origin 50 that another poster mentioned, then seeing the price, I'm super interested in one, and I haven't thought about having a Marshall again in like, the last 12 years or so. I wonder if I could sell my Altec-Lansing tube head that I was thinking of converting for one instead...

corbo likes this.
  8. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

Given that description, I agree with some others here on Vox amps. I tend to like moderately loud amps, and I would go for an AC30. They are loud but not silverface twin reverb loud. Great cleans and dirt. But of course they vary wildly from old ones to newer ones. You should probably approach Vox AC30/AC15 amps like approaching acoustic guitars. You'll know when you find the right one. They definitely are not all equal. But a good Vox will do very nice hairy and creamy and really nice cleans.

corbo likes this.
  9. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Tele-Meister

I absolutely love my custom Vibrolux reverb for exactly that kind of playing and getting the best part of the Twin Reverb sound - with slight differences - but lighter and not as loud.

corbo likes this.
  10. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

Classic 30, blues deluxe, supersonic 22, blackstars...loads of options, really. A two channel design with clean and gain channels should get you what you’re after, depending on the flavor a dB level you need.

Tommy Biggs and corbo like this.
  11. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

I keep seeing this show up in the youtube sidebar, which might be of use to you. Maybe since I clicked it, it will finally go away.

Fender vs Vox vs Marshall: What's the Difference?

corbo likes this.
  12. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Vox AC15

Or for something big, an early silverface Fender Bassman Ten with the master volume

corbo likes this.
  13. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Meister

Dr. Z

Just look. You’ll find something.

corbo likes this.
  14. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

Add to the above your budget. Without these, all of our suggestion are random noise.

Having said that, another satisfied MESA California Tweed owner. Everything NSB said, except I still use pedals on occasion. Texas Special comes to mind, too. Or, if you can find one, one of the Express series might suit as well.

OTOH, I’ve been able to fill a small space with clean and hair sounds with an Epiphone Valve Jr. head through an Avatar 2X12 cabinet. Not super loud, but it was adequate to purpose on specific occasions. It all depends on the spaces you’re trying to fill most of the time.

15. corbo

corbo TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Budget is, ideally, around 1500, but 2k max.

16. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Holic

Clean jazzy chords, a base for drive/chorus… I think the Vibrolux suggestions are spot on if you play mostly clean. 35 watts is a LOT of sound. For me a Deluxe is enough, but then I'm biased.

Jerry J and corbo like this.
  17. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Smooth distortion is a bell shaped curve.

You'll get distortion and grit accompanying relatively low gain. More gain results in more grit up to a point. Beyond that it smooths out. Then we get into interesting phenomena such as acoustic feedback and note bloom.

Lotta folks think you can get away with sloppy playing with overdrive. Not true! You need to play super clean because more gain amplifies everything, every little noise, every click, every finger squeak.

I like to watch Sonny Landreth as much as I like to listen to him. He's from down South where they play loud. H.R. Geiger I mean H.A. Dumble likes Sonny, too. So Dumble built Sonny a Dumble.

Sonny generally uses an overdrive tone that sounds like it's going to eat him if he doesn't keep it on a tight leash. He's a total master of his instrument. He's so in control.

18. scooteraz

Reverb has California Tweeds (1x12 combo) new starting at ~$1700, new. Sweetwater at $1900. Other recommendations here are under that, but few can have decent gigging volume and bedroom quiet in the same amp.

corbo likes this.
  19. scooteraz

Oops, duplicate post.

20. miotch

miotch NEW MEMBER!

Just got a Budda SD18 and "headroom with a bit of hair" is a great description for the clean channel.

I also looked closely at the custom Vibrolux Reverb and loved it. It had more clean headroom than I expected, to be honest. And maybe not enough hair at the volumes I play through these days. But heck, I use pedals too, so I can always get close to what I need.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.