Which tool for cutting a telecaster bridge?

Bruxist

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I hear of folks cutting them down from time to time and wondered what is usually used.

Was guessing an angle grinder?

I have one I want to cut down but was unsure what tool was best. I have an angle grinder and a Dremel Sawmax (which is surprisingly useful, if a little bulky and non-ergonomic)

Thanks!

Blue Bill

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Wait, what? Are you cutting the sides off? A new bridge, with a flat plate is easily available and not expensive. Just sayin'. Otherwise, you can grind it down, or hacksaw it, then see if you can smooth the edges with a grinder, but, man, that's not easy. Another way is to take it to a local metal shop, they can modify it anyway you like. Pictures!

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
I don't think the Sawmax will get the job done.

For cutting down the sides, an angle grinder is good to rough it in, but it doesn't do a good job of making the work flat. Follow it up with a file to make the work neat.

natec

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
I have cut down tele bridges in order to make room for a humbucker - if that's what you mean. An angle grinder to start, then a bench grinder to clean up the edges.

It was more hassle than it was worth and if I need another one, I'll buy the size I want from Wilkinson, Gotoh, etc.

Bruxist

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Making room for a humbucker.

Was trying not to have to drill different holes and there are none that line up exactly.

Thought I would give it a try and at worst I am out a 15 dollar bridge and I will buy a humbucker bridge.

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I just used a 4" grinder... and a file to dress the edges, then used some clear nail polish on the exposed steel...

though on this one I followed the pu cutout and only had to nick the ends off... too easy..;)

river tele day12.jpg

Greplington

Tele-Meister
I am a knifemaker more so than a guitar maker (made 80-100 or so knives, and just getting started on my very first guitar) so my immediate thought was "angle grinder then tidy it up on the belt grinder" but then remembered that most people on here won't have a 2x72" belt grinder like I do!

Cut it down with an angle grinder, then tidy it up with some files and sandpaper. Should be a really, really easy job. ;)