Which Thinline would you recommend?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by bluesman.de, Apr 19, 2019.

1. bluesman.de

bluesman.de TDPRI Member

Hi!

Recently i heard a Tele with wide range pickups and immediatly fell in love with them. So i decided to buy a Squier Thinline. But, as i discovered, the "old" Squier Vintage Modified '72 Tele Thinline hasn´t been discontinued and know there is only the
    Fender Squier Classic Vibe 70's Telecaster Thinline. Cannot test the guitars in my town, so which one would you recommend?

Greetinx from germany,
    Volker

2. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Nash TL 72

Or a mim 72 Thinline with upgraded electronics/ pickups. Lollar Regals, Brandonwound, Novaks etc.

Search the forums, 72 Thinline is a hot topic around these parts.

Out of the box Nash TL 72 is my somewhat pricey choice. The Lollar Regals are already in there! No tweaking needed.

3. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

My favorite of them is the original 1969 Thinline..Had one and wish I still did..

voodoostation likes this.
  4. 41144

41144 Tele-Holic

Worth taking a look at the semi-hollow G&L Blueseboy with a 'bucker in the neck.

SuprHtr likes this.
  5. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

It's difficult to make recommendations with so little to go on. since this is a Squier subforum, I'll focus on that (or I'll at least try to).

I Love my VM '72 Thinline. I like it better than the CV '69 Thinline or VM '69 Thinline from way back. I suspect the CV 70's Thinline to be similar to the VM '72 Thinline as that is the model that it replaces.
    When I bought that guitar, I tried both the Squier and MIM Fender version of it. The Squier won, but to be honest, probably because the Fender did not have a basic setup yet.

There was a dual humbucker Master series Squier about 10 years ago too. I love that one too, but the choice between the VM/CV and the Master series would depend on the genre you'll be playing. If you are into "heavy" styles, I'd recommend the Master series over the VM.

But my favourite thinline is the (now also obsolete) Fender Modern Player Thinline with two P90 pickups. In some way it stays in the middle between a traditional 69 thinlne and a dual humbucker (Gibson style, not Fender styled WRHB) thinlines, with the added bonus of some growling mids.

I have a Cabronita tele too, and I know there is (or was) a Fender version with this style pickups as a thinline. I'd love to get my hands on one, and see how that would complement my

So if neck shapes and so on are not important, I think you should choose based on the type of sound you want to have.

6. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

By the way: welcome!

7. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I bought a used MIM 72 Thinline and put a Lollar WR in the neck slot, which is where I play. Wonderful warm but clear sound with enough treble tone for my taste. I changed the tuners too. $520 for the guitar and $200 for the pickup. Well worth it.

8. rizender

rizender TDPRI Member

The only difference is the wood,CV 70 should be in poplar,anyway are the same.

9. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

For the CV 70's Thinline the Fender website mentions "soft maple", not poplar. Looking at the pictures, I liked the wood grain of the ash body better in the VM version.

10. rizender

rizender TDPRI Member

You're right, but I think that are the same product with different name ,that's all.

11. Ptrusk

Ptrusk TDPRI Member

I'm a huge fan of the 72 Thinlines. I've got one MIM with Brandenwounds and an AVRI with Lollars. The MIM build quality is excellent, but the AVRI is slightly better. It's lighter and more resonant. It's my favorite guitar, extremely lively.

As far as pickups go, the Lollar WRHB is where it's at for me. It has the best characteristics of humbuckers and singles. The Brandenwounds are not my favorite pickups at all... They sound very boomy, overly bass-y and lack definition. I'll be moving onofrom them soon.While the stock Fender WRHB are not great, I certainly like them better than the Brandenwounds.

12. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

i really liked the VM 72. fit and finish was actually better than my MIM 72. the stock pickups in the squier were better too (although i think the MIM line has since changed the pickups)

for the price, i don't think you can go wrong with either of the squier thinlines. don't forget about the squier 69 reissue... that's a fantastic guitar too!

13. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

I think there's more differences than just the name. I have always found the 2012+ VM's to be the same quality as the CV, and in that aspect I don't think much will have changed.

But, I haven't held one in my hands yet. But I'll know whenever I can get my hands on one, I'll know what the exact differences are. I'll post more info then.

14. bluesman.de

bluesman.de TDPRI Member

Many thanks for all of the replies! :)

Besides of getting a very nice guitar like a Nash or other more expensive thinlines, i will stay with a Squier. After beeing a Strat player all my guitar-life (with a lot of expensive "excursions" to other guitar models) i recently discovered the joy of Tellies.
    I had a Charvel Strat with humbuckers and FR, which i really hated. Then someone traded it and gave me his Telecaster. And this guitar is now my main axe for more than a year and i don´t miss my Strats. They all hanging at the wall, full of dust. ;-)

I´ve never played a thinline with wide-range pickups, so it will be a test, if such a guitar suits me. The quality of Squier guitars is great, so it should be ok.

Happy Easter,
    Volker :)

15. Anacharsis

Anacharsis TDPRI Member

I recently got one of the VM Thinlines, natural with the ash body. I found one still in stock after the move to the CV with soft maple. Probably not much difference in terms of sound, but I like the look better. Great sounding guitar. Gets a nice, smoky grit to it with mid to light overdrive. Mine plays great, too. I may upgrade the pickups at some point, but I like the ones it came with so far.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    nicod98 likes this.
  16. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

To be honest, I like the VM 72 models better than the 50s and 60s CV models because of the pickups....

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.