1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Which telecaster?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by teleile, Nov 6, 2020.

1. teleile

teleile TDPRI Member

Hi,

Im interested in buying a telecaster but dont know what model is it (japan, mexico, usa). To me it looks like 52 avri because there are no stamps on the neck BUT the seller cant tell it either. Only thing he knows is that he bought it year 2000. Can anyone help me?

Attached Files:

mojek likes this.
  2. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Ask the seller to check for the serial number on the bridge plate - on an AVRI '52 it should have a number (with no letters/prefixes) stamped under the "PATENT PENDING" on the bridge plate.

3. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

Has he checked the neck pocket for pencilled dates.
    I’ve always been told that little attention should be paid to the stamped bridge plate number, which was true of the 80s stuff.

mojek likes this.
  4. teleile

teleile TDPRI Member

THANKS FOR THE ANSWERS. Well there is a ”pat.pend.” and numbers 33951. So that indicates it is a avri.
    Here's a photo of that bridge.

Attached Files:

5. mojek

mojek Tele-Meister

I have one of the last 52 AVRI’s (2011) and LoVE it:)
    Excellent light resonant Telecaster!
    Enjoy;)

6. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

Are they expecting an AVRI 52 price?
    Without proof, personally I doubt I'd offer £3-400 whereas a verified AVRI, even in that condition would double the value imo.

7. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Every time I met someone who said 'I don't know much about guitars' my spider senses tingle, as if someone said 'I an selling for my son who is away at university, whose name I have forgotten'

How do you get an AVRI by accident. It all looks good to me but I would be super suspicious

I would assume I am being tricked and just pay as if it was an unbranded guitar. If it plays great, I pay a great price, but not based on brand or model

mojek, Dismalhead and Greggorios like this.
  8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

We're simply not being provided with enough information here.

I encourage you to study the heck out of all the images and discussions on this Board, and with your newly acquired information, make the judgment call for yourself. I think this is more likely than not, an AV as you say. I'm just not comfortable encouraging you to rely on the small bits of information we're being fed.

It also strikes me as weird, that this seller can't be bothered to provide more information - as it could result in his being paid twice as much.

9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

In Post #4, you show us an image of the back side of the headstock. The spaces between what I believe are Gotoh splits, is encouraging (but the image from another angle would help).

But I will tell you, the neck on your prospect is not MIM. A MIM with splits (Pings) looks like this:

[​IMG]

Notice that the machines are hard against one another - no 1/16ths inches space. And the buttons are not a smooth shape. And therefore IF the neck is original to this instrument, if this isn't USA Fender, it is Asian or a very sophisticated fake. Probably USA, but my reservations in the previous post still apply. Not MIM.

10. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Meister

There are two reasons I tend not to deal with people who say they don't know much about what they are selling.

The less nefarious reason is that they often overvalue what they have.

The more nefarious reason is they know all too well what they have but are trying to pass it off as something more.

Piggy Stu and Dismalhead like this.
  11. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Third reason - it's stolen. I always ask if the guy was the original owner, how long he's had it, if anything's been changed from stock, why he's selling it. Half to check on the validity of the guitar, half of it to determine if it's stolen.

Piggy Stu and mojek like this.
  12. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Meister

It looks like an avri. Yes, the guitar’s serial number would be on the bridgeplate. My avri is a 2000 and it does NOT have any kind of serial number on the back of the headstock. On an avri, ALL the screws, including pick guard screws will be flat head and not Phillips head.

Are you saying there’s nothing at all on the neck heel and pocket, or just nothing identifying age and model? Mine definitely DOES have stuff in the heel and pocket. On the heel, it’s has the inspectors name. And there is some kind of barcode on the pocket.

you can find out where it was made by the inspector. Mine was inspected by, I believe, J Gomez, and I verified that he worked in a Fender USA factory at that time.

13. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

All of the screws on this guitar except for the bridge pickup height adjustment screws appear to be slot-heads. Even the ones on the tuning machines.

mojek likes this.
  14. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Meister

on my 2000 avri, ALL the screws- including the bridge pickup, strap buttons, and the saddle screws are slot heads. Still looks pretty legit to me.

I think knowing who the inspector was, which should be on the neck heel, would tell the tale. Stamping the serial number on the bridge and nowhere else doesn’t seem like the greatest plan, as anybody can get one of those bridges and slap it on any guitar. Still though, everything about that guitar including the case seems identical to my 2000

mojek likes this.
  15. Sea Devil

The pickguard and headstock certainly look legit as can be. There's nothing that looks wrong, actually, but the micro-details there look perfect, especially the subtle chamfering on the pg edge. Of course, a pickguard is even more easily replaced than a bridge plate.
    And the wear looks genuine. I didn't think so at first, but I changed my mind quickly. One convincer was the crack running with the grain from the control plate screw. I've never seen that on a relic job.

16. mojek

mojek Tele-Meister

100% agree! Let the seller dismatle the neck and make an image of the neck heel and body, there should be the date and name..

Bryan A likes this.
  17. teleile

teleile TDPRI Member

I'm grateful for the comments everyone! Here's pictures from the neck/neck pocket

Attached Files:

18. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Meister

I’m 97.7% certain that’s legit. My neck pocket has that same barcode sticker. The only thing that would be more helpful is if you had a picture of the BACK of the neck heel. You have a pic of the END of the heel which shows the date. On the back of the heel would have the inspector’s name. If you had the inspectors name, you’d know 100%. I’d be willing to bet it’s Gomez.

not sure what you’re thinking of paying. I paid $950 for mine, which was a very good price. I think the average going rate is around $1200. Mine is in better condition. I think if you got that one in the $700-900 range, go for it. I don’t see anything to make me think it’s not legit, though the inspectors name would help you for sure

edit: I see where you DO have a pic of the back of the heel. Not sure why it doesn’t have the inspector’s name. Try to run a number on that barcode. Also, not sure how he said he knows he bought it in 2000 when the pocket clearly says 2002. Hmm.

19. Sea Devil

I wouldn't hold the seller's memory against him. Both 2000 and 2002 are far enough behind us that the difference is meaningless.

And it is stamped "RL."

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.