Which Telecaster to get?

Guitars2022

TDPRI Member
I currently own a Baja Tele. I prefer bigger necks on guitars. Looking for another telecaster to add to my collection. Any recommendations for one which is versatile and also well built. I was not impressed with the player telecaster because I did not like the modern c beck and the pickups were unimpressive.

LOSTVENTURE

Friend of Leo's
You might want to check out one of the Nashville variants. I also have an early (2006) Baja, and still find lots of uses for the Nashville. It's sort of a "Strat" precursor.

mimmo

Poster Extraordinaire
I hear you. I have an AV52 and I also prefer bigger necks. Depending on your budget, if you want to buy new your only options are a Vintera 50s (I prefer the standard model with 7.25" radius) or the AO 50s which is similar to your Baja, has nitro finish and flatter radius (9.5") and (I think) bigger frets than your Baja (I may be wrong)

fenderchamp

Friend of Leo's
I currently own a Baja Tele. I prefer bigger necks on guitars. Looking for another telecaster to add to my collection. Any recommendations for one which is versatile and also well built. I was not impressed with the player telecaster because I did not like the modern c beck and the pickups were unimpressive.
The anniversary esquires are about the nicest regular USA fender they’ve made in a long time, particularly if you don’t care for modern slanted models.

Mike_LA

Tele-Afflicted
Set Neck
Bound neck and body
I changed the pups out for SD Phat Cats, the instrument ROCKS
FTM Search on Reverb

https://reverb.com/item/56648636-fender-special-edition-set-neck-custom-telecaster-hh-fmt-2003
tabqr7bzsckimb5lj7lg.jpg

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Why I love the Fender Mod Shop. I like C necks. I like being able to choose pickups and hardware. They only seem to stock the same colors and I like the choice. 41 Fender colors on Mod Shop. Takes about a month and it’s a semi-customized MiA. And they don’t cheap out on the case.

fenderchamp

Friend of Leo's
Why I love the Fender Mod Shop. I like C necks. I like being able to choose pickups and hardware. They only seem to stock the same colors and I like the choice. 41 Fender colors on Mod Shop. Takes about a month and it’s a semi-customized MiA. And they don’t cheap out on the case.
The mod shop is really cool. though, after having built my own for so long, the options seem very constrained to me.

@Controller I love black blackguard style teles, they are so tuff! I must have one sooner or later.

I didn't know they made a 50s style mim classic in black nitro though. I remember they had a blonde or white one for a while, and a CAR strat both in nitro. Other than that, I don't remember any, not that I have an encyclopedic knowledge of the last 25 years of the MIM catalogue or anything.

Otisblove

Tele-Meister
If it doesn’t HAVE to be a fender, I bought an allparts fat neck from a seller on eBay that claims to level and crown the frets as well as cut the nut. It’s fantastic. Baseball bat for sure. You can put it on any body you like.

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
I have a theory and may be off base but unless you’re buying in person I wouldn’t get anything newer than 2018, seems like QC is hit or miss and will probably be so for the next couple years

The model depends what else you are looking for, as in fingerboard material? Vintage/modern style? Price range?

Alex_C

Tele-Afflicted
If you are OK with a non-fender Tele, Kiesel offers a fatter neck option for a $60 upcharge. If you go with standard options, you'll be at $1800 or so. Kiesel guitars are stellar instruments.

retro-solo.png

Attachments

• Solo-retro.png
    Solo-retro.png
    14.7 KB · Views: 9

doctymie

Tele-Meister
Vintera 50s definitely. If you can find a 70th Anniversary Broadcaster, those fit the bill as well.
I have both and I find the Vintera 50s is slightly chunkier than the Broadcaster. But both are quite comfortable.

Guitars2022

TDPRI Member
Sounds like the fender vintera 50s or fender Esquire 70th anniversary are the best options? Is the fender vintera overpriced? Sounds like the Esquire 70th is better value and more vintage sound?