Which Telecaster Exceeded Your Expectations?

The Angle

Tele-Afflicted
2008 Squier Classic Vibe '50s Blonde.

I had zero interest in Telecasters until a friend pushed one into my hands and practically forced me to play it. Coming from a Les Paul, the Tele was a revelation. The balance, the layout, the sound, everything about it felt just right. Within a few days, I'd bought this CV off eBay. As an added bonus, I scored one with a beautiful quarter-sawn neck.

I've since bought several more Teles, including two that each cost triple what I paid for that CV. If I was forced to sell all but one, I can't guarantee the CV isn't the one I'd keep.

IMG_20220420_172104814.jpg

srblue5

Tele-Afflicted
Dunno about “basic Telecaster” but…

I didn’t get Teles until I stumbled across a blonde G&L ASAT Classic in a music store during my last year of university. Prior to then, I’d heard and liked other players’ tones with Teles but I was more a Strat guy and couldn’t fathom how to get a good sound with a Tele. That G&L changed me, tho. I couldn’t afford it at the time but I was so taken by it that I ran a red light and nearly got into an accident afterward (true story).

I thought about custom ordering one later but got dogged down in spec details and forgot about it. Later still, a bandmate sold me a similar G&L and it’s become one of my Top 3 go-to’s.

It took me a while to find a “real” Fender Tele that met my expectations but I now have a Vintera Modified 50s Tele that I particular like.

Chicago Matt

Friend of Leo's
That's the thing about a Telecaster. There's not a whole lot that can go wrong. I had been strictly a Strat guy for many years and hadn't had a Tele since the 70s. So I bought a Squier 50s Classic Vibe for $300 in 2016. What I got was a great playing, great sounding Tele that I gigged with right out of the box after a quick setup. The stock slightly overwound A3 pickups sound great.
PXL_20210206_190846086.jpg

That Squier gave me the Tele bug, so a couple of years later I saw a new MIM 50s Road Worn in a local shop and gave it a play. It's the only guitar I've ever bought that was intentionally relic'd. For $800 I got a great playing (my favorite neck on any guitar) workhorse Tele that plays great and sounds great. I love the stock Tex Mex neck pickup. I replaced the bridge pickup with a Cavalier Holy Grail Nocaster. Wow, thick 50s twang at my fingertips! It's everything I want in an old school Tele.
RoadWorn2.jpg

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Squier Bullet!

I bought this as my first electric with the expectation to replace it later. I’ve tried other “nicer” guitars and even bought one. But this guy is fantastic and I play it often. Nearly 2 years since I got it, and I don’t feel the need to “upgrade.”

View attachment 1022046
It weren't broke, and so it weren't fixed. 👍

NC E30

Tele-Meister
The MJT that is in my avatar. I expected it to be good, but it far exceeded my expectations. 5 years later and I still don't feel the need to even look at another guitar.

omahaaudio

Friend of Leo's
A few years ago a local music store was getting out of the electric guitar business and I bought a brand new 2015 MIM Standard Tele for about $450. It plays and sounds better than any Tele I ever had, including an AVRI '52.
It surprised the heck out of me and I see no reason to buy another Telecaster.

arlum

Friend of Leo's
Platinum Supporter
Truthfully the cheapest Fender Telecasters impress me the most. I no longer own any but whenever I play Telecasters that cost under a grand I'm always happily surprised at how much you get for your money. The more their price goes up so go your expectations and they're not always met. What you can get in a Fender Telecaster for so little has always impressed me.

acoustic rob

Tele-Holic
I have a original Classic Vibe Custom and I'd always been perfectly happy with it.

But for a few years I would bring it into work because I had band rehearsal right afterwards, and a guitar-playing friend would always find an excuse to stop by my office on Wednesdays so he could noodle with it. He's a guy who owns some really nice guitars--he bought himself a Collings, and they aren't cheap--but playing my $400 CVC made him happy.

lousy13

Tele-Meister
My 52 AVRI I bought at Wildwood many years ago. It feels and plays like guitars I've played back in the day. I'm old.

Steve_U1S

Tele-Afflicted
Ad Free Member
My home-made 'Telecaster' style guitar (made the body in grade 9 woodshop) - long before I had any business even attempting such a thing... but it's still there today. I had given it to my father long ago as a tribute to his having helped me acquire the parts to make it whole, and having started me on my guitar journey years earlier around campfires and such.
I had long-since made it into a 'Waylon-caster' being as that was one of the first big influences that I absorbed directly from my Dad's favorites..
Dad got me to gig it just ahead of the changes in his life which his health issues created. I'm very glad that this happened; very importantly, he was there to take it all in that night as well.
Sadly I re-inherited it a couple of years ago - but I'm glad that it's something which we shared in on so many levels.

In genuine Telecasters; my '12 Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, which was indeed my first genuine Telecaster, purchased new in the box in mid-2013. I'd intended to convert it to 2-pickup traditional style (I dislike/struggle with middle pickups, so I avoid them).
Somehow this one charmed me, so even though I changed the pickups etc. I went to great lengths to maintain it as a Nashville arrangement, still to this day.

Have to mention my first Highway One Texas Telecaster - that one really 'checked the boxes' and set the bar for what I really like in a Telecaster; very classic styling, with some stealthy 'modern' specs (especially fretboard radius & fret size) that make for an amazing playing experience.

Skeet-1969

TDPRI Member
Silver Supporter
This one. Sounds incredible, and the neck is awesome. Pickups are lovely!!
Mike B

20220909_175455.jpg

Troubleandahalf

Tele-Afflicted
I thought I was getting a Squier, maybe a little better than your average. No. Nothing prepared me for how phenomenal and amazing my Classic Vibe was and is. Avatar pic.

sirshackleton

Tele-Meister
The '55 Thinskin I bought from Wildwood Guitars a couple years back. I wanted one with a pretty fat U neck, but of the ones WW had in stock this had the thinnest neck at .88. The grain was the nicest (to my eyes) of the bunch though, so I went ahead and grabbed it. As it turns out, the neck feels amazing and I'm glad I took a chance on it.

tempImageM6uNzM.png

NiceTele

Tele-Afflicted
50s Vintera Roadworn from 2020. I bought it out of curiosity, not perfect, but it just feels right and sounds great- better sounding than a lot of Teles I've played in the last 45 years or so. I was disappointed with a couple of Custom Shop Teles I owned in recent years and found the relic work pretty ordinary to be honest, yet the cheap Roadworn seems to have more played-in vibe. I couldn't justify spending a lot more on Custom Shop Teles any more.

TeleBrew

Doctor of Teleocity
My American Vintage '64 Tele. I bought one a few years ago and sold it, but regretted it later. Then they stopped making them. It took me a few years to find another one, and I am not letting this one go. It's probably my imagination, but any Tele I have played that has a rosewood fingerboard with a 7.25" radius always feels flatter than that to me. This one is no exception. It plays amazingly well. And the pickups are terrific.

20220930_123825.jpg

d barham

Tele-Afflicted
This one. My partscaster that has no real reason to sound as good as it does.

Being a guitar novice, I was just hoping to make something playable/useable. Started with a body from eBay, neck from allparts, wiring harness from mojotone, vintage style tuners, and a bridgeplate I had laying around. Seymour Duncan La Brea pickups. Two old Starcaster control knobs.

Everything went together just right despite my lack of expertise. I liked it so much I sprung for a nifty pinstripe job for it.
B87C5A7F-E389-4873-826E-BEC87E68D86D.jpeg

DM1975inKS

TDPRI Member
I guess my 75 tele custom. I was worried it’d sound terrible when I bought it just because it cost me a pretty penny and was a Reverb purchase. Turns out it sounds better than my other two teles.