1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Which Tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by esetter, Apr 28, 2016.

1. esetter

esetter Friend of Leo's

I Was considering a 50's Lacquer Tele but have ruled that out for now. I'm down to deciding between an American Special Tele or an American Standard Tele. I like them both and the difference in price isn't that big of a deal for me. I can afford either one.
    I've always been a Strat player but want to get myself a good quality American Tele for my 55th birthday. I just can't decide which one to buy!! Ugh!
    I play mainly blues, classic rock and some country.
    Help me out guys!

2. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

That's really a highly personal decision. Both are excellent guitars.
    The Jumbo frets on the Am Special are too big for my tastes. I think the pickups on the Am Standard are a little more versatile. More color choices in Standard. Hard shell case vs gig bag. Three saddle vs six saddle. Some like the belly cut of the Standard and some think it's heresy.

You gotta play both and decide what you like. As the Lovin Spoonful once wrote "Did you ever have to make up your mind, and pick up on one and leave the other behind" ... (of course they were talking about a girl)

esetter likes this.
  3. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know your budget, but if this is going to be a "special" instrument (one involving a larger monetary investment) why not go a little crazy and build yourself the guitar--one with all the options (pickups, neck, finish, etc.) that you want?

It can be done by amassing parts (official and/or knockoff) and assembling them or as an all-out Custom Shop or boutique instrument.

I went the cheaper route--my favorite guitar isn't that expensive--a MIM Tele Special with some pretty cool modifications (P90 pickup in the neck position, four-way Telecaster Switching, Fender No-Load Tone Pot, custom-engraved neck plate, a badge from a vintage Pontiac proclaiming "CUSTOM" and a tortoiseshell pickguard)...and a few more customizations planned.

I was fortunate in that I found an instrument that feels right to me; everything that I didn't like was changeable...

4. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Here's the current look of the guitar (a few more cosmetic changes are planned)...

[​IMG]

richiek65 and esetter like this.
  5. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

I like the American Standard pickups , but you can not make a bad choice ! . . . Happy Birthday

6. wiretap

wiretap Tele-Meister

My personal choice of the three would be the 50s Lacquer. The American Special seems pretty cool but not a big fan of the headstock or the finishes (plus poly vs nitro on the lacquer), the blonde is kinda meh as far as blonde's go (Baja or Road Worn look a lot better, imo). I don't like belly cuts on tele's so standard would be out, just feels wrong, but coming from a strat it might be far more up your alley. 'Don't hate the six saddle bridge of the standards at all but if given the choice would always prefer the 3 saddle for vintage sake.

7. Plan9

Plan9 Tele-Meister

I had a similar choice - between a Baja and the Standard. I dropped the special from consideration early on. I really liked the MIA Standard; very comfortable and beautiful neck feel, plus great pickups. In your place I'd go with the standard (that's my opinion), but as everone points out, it's your call.

8. Woollymonster

Woollymonster Tele-Meister

Step up to a Custom Shop if you can. You won't regret.

9. telemandave

telemandave Tele-Meister

American standard all the way for me. The pickups are great. The American standard just has the classic twang on the bridge pickup. If you want a beefier sound, you might want to go with the American special, but if you want the classic tele twang on the bridge, go with the American standard. Both are great guitars, but they sound different.

10. aquaboi924

aquaboi924 Tele-Meister

Am Std for me. But it's your 55th so why not get something more special?

11. esetter

esetter Friend of Leo's

I'm trying to keep it under approx $1600.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.