Which Tele would you NOT put a B Bender on

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by lavrgs, Oct 23, 2019.

Tags:
  1. lavrgs

lavrgs TDPRI Member

I didn't want to overlap the thread asking about adding one to a particular Tele, because my question is a bit more general. I am considering a Parsons - White. I have a 2018 Tele Elite which is NOT suitable because of the belly cut. So before go out and buy some random Tele for the mod I thought I should ask if there are other model NOT to use. Of coarse there are other options...like buy a guitar with the unit installed. There is a new MIM Tele available for $2700+ with a Parson-White bender, maybe that is a better value than I think - comments?
    I would consider the Matney bender as it seems like a good product and better value

I just got the bug a couple weeks ago so I am trying to learn as much as possible about all the different types but I am mainly interested in the style using the strap actuation.

Thanks

Bill

2. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

So I'm not a bender player, so obviously take what I say with a grain of salt...

That being said, I believe that I have seen some Glaser benders put on guitars with a belly cut. Jimmy Olander even has a strat with a Glaser double bender if I'm not mistaken. I talked to Joe about a year or so ago about putting a bender on one of my teles and it was much more affordable that I would have expected. I ended up not pulling the trigger, just because old dog/new tricks and what have you, but it seemed like a pretty compelling option.

I mean Glaser benders... Jimmy O, Brent, Steve Wariner... pretty solid roster.

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

Personally, and also because Clarence White had the original B-Bender (Marty Stuart now own the guitar, of course), I'm partial to the Parsons/White B or B/G bender. I don't think I'd like the Glaser style of bender since I'm so used to the strap-actuated version.

For learning more about the original strap-activated bender (and Clarence White, who used the bender), here's a video:

4. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic

I believe if you were to watch the video of the Glaser bender in action you would see it is a strap actuated design. The Parsons/ White bender is not the only strap actuated bender. McVay benders are also strap activated (as frequently used by Brad Paisley in Crook Guitars). Either the McVay or the Glaser benders are much more advanced than the Parsons/ White bender because they require no visible removal of wood on the back of the guitar yet they are indeed strap activated.

lavrgs likes this.
  5. BladeStratford

BladeStratford TDPRI Member

I'm a big believer in adding the bender to a guitar you already know you love to play which is the route I took with Forrest Lee Jr. who added one to my Am. Std. Tele which has a belly cut. I've had it 3 years now and it still works flawlessly. He can definitely hook you up with your current Elite model. Good luck!

Rockerfeller and brookdalebill like this.
  6. lavrgs

lavrgs TDPRI Member

I'm thinking - based on the replies that any Telecaster - other than the 2018 Elite I have would be suitable for a Parsons style bender. Although,it seems that mine could have a Glaser style installed. I'd also guess that thinlines are not a good choice.
    The Units I'm looking at Include Parson-White (very expensive) Matney seems to be a lower cost alternate. I've also seen that Glaser and McVay units seem to get good reviews. I like these because it seems like it's possible to switch from B to G bender.

7. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Don't forget Forrest Lee Jr and Bill Bores (if he still does them). They do PW style benders at good prices. Their mechanism looks to be a bit more professional than the Matney, though I have not heard of any issues or dislike of the latter.

I have a Bores install in a Fender Classic '50s Esquire and it's a very solid system.

8. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I know it's work to install a blender but how much is that work? From that it seems $2,000+?

I would go on Stratosphere/etc and buy a MIM body, get that built with your bender, and then move the neck and parts from another guitar you have (saving the original body so you can always go back to stock) or get a new neck you like and the other parts and build it up.

9. lavrgs

lavrgs TDPRI Member

Problem Solved... I had given away a MIM Telecaster years ago so I approached this friend and traded another guitar to get it back.
    It's a 92-93 (MN2122081) tele with a six saddle bridge. I'm planning on replacing with a 3 saddle compensated bridge. Are they all the same or do MIM have a unique bridge?
    The general plan is to get it into the best condition I can and send it off to Joe Glaser. I can live with the pickups and controls so the only other thing is the do the setup when I get the new bridge. Any suggestions for bridges would be welcome. Do B Benders prefer a particular string set/size? Current strings are 0.010 to 0.052 and I think they work well for me.

I may start a new thread on this build but for now I just want to welcome an old friend back home

weevilcaster likes this.
  10. 41144

41144 Tele-Holic

AV64. .... No, never, no way, just don't!

11. lavrgs

lavrgs TDPRI Member

That's pretty darn specific :)

41144 likes this.
  12. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

Btw, Parsons benders rule ! !!

Don Miller likes this.
  13. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

No offense to anyone, but I wouldn’t install a B-Bender (or any Bender) on any Telecaster I plan on keeping.

JMHO, YMMV, DSFDF

14. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Me too. I can't even use a wah-wah without losing my balance.

Fretting out and Fiesta Red like this.
  15. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Any. Especially one that had a Bigsby, guess that goes without saying, but I pretty much always state the obvious.

Seriously I never have gotten the B bender application. I bend them all, with my fingers.

Make it plop, talk, bark, bite and sing - all with my fingers.

T Prior likes this.
  16. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

My answer is no Tele.
    I'm not a fan of those things.

lavrgs and Fiesta Red like this.
  17. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

I hear ya, but you can't bend a note INSIDE a chord triad with your fingers or START the phrase with the note inside the triad or interval already BENT then release it.

Its not an argument, one is not better than the other. Its a choice.

Benders are not add ons, they are specif instruments. We don't play them or approach phrasing like we do with our favorite go to stock guitar. If we do that we are really missing the big picture. We approach phrasing with the B or G up or down as part of the initial phrase concept and thought process.

Die hard Bender players are always thinking a step ahead with regard to the PULL or RELEASE , how does it fit, does it even fit and can I add some interesting emotion to the phrasing.

Why do I need Pedals or Knee Levers on my Emmons Steels ? I'll just play the Lap Steel. Its just strings, picks and a bar, same thing right ?

Uhhh...No.....

I would certainly agree, if players are viewing a Bender as a nice novelty, add a B or G pull now and then, then for certain it's not adding much to what they already can do. They would be just using the PULL to duplicate what they already do.

They are not for everyone. Agreed !

And they are not supposed to be either.

Personally, I can't bring a NON Bender to a gig , ( well I can and do now and then ) my arrangements and phrasing are on the B pull or release. Of course I don't have to use the B pull, but its there and is part of the big picture thought process. Kinda like Black Keys on a Piano, or a Pedal Steel with Peds and Levers. Available phrasing.

QUESTION: how do you bend open strings inside chromatic phrasing or a chord with your fingers ?

Are you thinking that bender players are no longer bending strings with their fingers ? and have reverted to just pulling the B or G ? We are still guitar players ya know ! :)

True story, if ya have time to read...years back a good musician friend was over for dinner, good player, guitar, bass , keys..etc...He had never played a B Bender. First thing he said was, "Oh a Cheater". I laughed, then played a few phrases pulling and releasing notes INSIDE chords, he said.. "wha - wha - what was that ?, Do that again " ! So I showed him and he didn't put the guitar down for about an hour, so much so we had to yell at him to come down for dinner !

Its all good, its just conversation.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
    lavrgs and asatfan like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.