Which Tele neck from warmoth?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by eheiser, Jun 13, 2018.

1. eheiser

eheiser TDPRI Member

So here's the thing - been trying to bond with a Tele but I still haven't found the right one.
    My first one was a road worn, couldn't get used to the 7.25" radius, next up a 52 hot rod, much better 9.5" radius but couldn't get used to the U shaped neck.

I love the neck on my maple neck Eric Johnson stratocaster (which Fender describes as a ’57-style “soft V”) with its 12" radius.

I've been thinking of going the partscaster route - but which Warmoth tele neck profile would be closest to what I have on my Strat?

http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/BackContours.aspx

Wolfgang? SRV?

2. jim_pridx

jim_pridx Tele-Afflicted

Does it have to be a Warmoth neck? You could look at Musikraft, Best Guitar Parts (BGP), or USACG to nail down the exact specs that you'd like. The last two necks I purchased from BGP were perfect for me.

3. jason.clark

jason.clark Tele-Meister

If you like the soft V shape, the “Clapton” is probably the closest. I have the standard thin profile on my Warmoth neck and it feels more like a modern C.

4. stratoblaster

stratoblaster Tele-Meister

I haven't played an EJ, but I did own a Warmoth Clapton and it seems close to what I imagine the EJ neck to be. I would also suggest the Vintage Modern construction. I didn't really care for the Modern construction with the side adjuster. But that is just me and my opinion based on one neck I owned.

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

look at allparts as well.

I tried a few different warmoth necks and every one ended up on Ebay.

I've found an allparts profile that fits me pretty well.

6. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Yes, you may like the Clapton profile. I hated it but then again a V is the worst shape for me. I prefer their '59 roundback shape which feels like a good Les Paul to my hands. Unfortunately Warmoth's huge stock of necks is almost entirely for the 10-16 compound radius and "Pro" construction neck with a double truss rod. I don't mind the 10-16 compound as in practice it feels about like a 12" for me but I think I prefer a 9.5 / 10" straight radius. The benefits are too subtle for me to appreciate. I don't like the Pro construction, although they are very very stable they weigh several ounces more which feels odd to me in a neck and they have an unsightly (but ingenious) truss rod adjustment.

So if I were you I would look for a Vintage Modern 9.5 or 10 radius Clapton countour neck. That will probably be a custom order. They are excellent quality.

7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I've had my Warmoth "conversion" neck (24 3/4" scale) for over a year, and couldn't be happier. It's a "fatback" profile, 'cause I like a manly neck. ( ;)) It's funny...I, too, was leery of the side trussrod adjustment, but find it functions very well, leaves the headstock "clean", and is easier than removing pickguard to adjust. If I needed another neck for anything, I wouldn't hesitate to use another Warmoth.

GuitarPlayerFL likes this.
  8. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

Many people swear by Warmoth, and likely for good reason as I hear their workmanship is great.

I've only ever purchased from Musikraft and it was the only replacement neck I've ever gotten, so take my advice with a grain of salt. Their workmanship is impeccable as well, AND they have way, WAY more options than Warmoth, especially for neck profiles.

Do your due diligence and shop around, you'll find exactly what you're after but it might not be from Warmoth :)

9. JimInMO

JimInMO Tele-Meister

I have a Warmoth C and a 59 Round back. Like both but if it's a 4 set gig I take the 59. Hands don't cramp up and hurt so much the next day. The 59 is also a 24-3/4 conversion so that might be a factor too. My next purchase will be a Clapton V conversion. My nicest playing acoustic is an old Ovation with a V profile that transitions to round and is fairly hefty.

nojazzhere likes this.
  10. thegreatshocka

thegreatshocka Tele-Meister

If you hate the Fender U shape then the Warmoth standard boatneck contour might be too thick. Sounds like the Clapton would be right up your alley though. They'll make you whatever you want, but be prepared to wait ~8 weeks unless you luck out and get something that's in stock.

FWIW I have 3 guitars with Warmoth necks and have a 4th neck on the way for another build. All boatneck or fatback, and I love them all equally.

nojazzhere likes this.
  11. JukeJointJunkie

JukeJointJunkie Tele-Meister

I have a Warmoth V neck and am very happy with it. It's a full 1" thick at the nut but it does not feel too big.

12. bodevelho

bodevelho Tele-Meister

I thought my Warmoth Clapton is a fairly pronounced V, its definitely an acquired taste. It seems to me that Warmoth's standard thin has been getting fatter the past 5 years, but whichever contour I really like compound radius.

13. Mr. Neutron

Mr. Neutron Tele-Meister

Wish I could help ya with "real-world" opinion here. I have a Warmoth neck that I bought unfinished. Vintage/Modern construction, Pao Ferro fretboard, Quartersawn Maple back, the front fret markers that glow, 12" fingerboard radius, and stainless steel frets. It's actually a Strat neck with the Tele heel cut. It has the Clapton V-shape neck profile.

It now has it's 5th coat of Tru-Oil drying, so it hasn't actually been on my MIM Tele yet. But for playing "Air Guitar With A Neck", it absolutely ROCKS!!!! :cool:

Jimmie

Added in EDIT: The "V-Shape" of my neck's Clapton profile seems most prominent/noticeable at the upper portion of the neck. As you move down the neck, it kinda diminishes somewhat.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  14. OldMike

OldMike TDPRI Member

I didn't see the Tele heel cut on a Strat neck option on their online neck builder. Did you call to have this done?

15. Mr. Neutron

Mr. Neutron Tele-Meister

Yes, exactly. It's an option not shown on their website, so I just called them up and asked about it. Talked to a guy named Brian about it. It costs an extra $25. You basically add in "special instructions" for the Tele heel cut at the end of the ordering process, per Brian.

Jimmie

16. OldMike

OldMike TDPRI Member

Thank you,
    I just assembled a Tele using a Musikraft with specs like you have. It is their "franky" Strat neck with a Tele heel, have to drill your own mounting holes to match Fender mount. Might try Warmoth on a future build.
    I have two of the Musikraft Clapton shape necks that work well for me.

17. Uncle Butch

Uncle Butch Tele-Meister

Have you looked at the Stratosphere on e-bay? they might have the exact neck you are looking for.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.