• Altered tuning

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • Jazz/funk

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Spanish/Latin

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Shredding/finger tapping

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Banjo, ukulele, mandolin, gayageum, sitar, etc.

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • Guitar smashing/auto-destruction

Votes: 6 16.7%

• Total voters

Flip G

Tele-Holic
One day I imagine myself mastering all of these techniques.
But if I've left out any ...
(My end goal is to sound like Lightnin' Hopkins.)

Last edited:

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
I think I'm a pretty solid guitar player, within the context of techniques/knowledge needed to play ( all older) blues/ R&B, R&R, Country, folk, Bluegrass, fingerpicking, Surf, as I have been playing close to 50 years.

But I don't think I've 'mastered' anything,
and there is SO MUCH guitar playing I have NO idea how to do ( never will), like shredding, tapping, those low dark, altered timings, used in metal. Plus real Jazz.

* also, now a 'fight to the death,' between all I actually have learned, and aging ( slowing down/finger & hand pain/ memory)- gotta play, play, play!

I will say that I am a pretty confident live player and singer- playing any size audience, I'm comfy.
( try singing "Peaceful Easy Feelin'", to 4 men in a dive bar- that's intimidation!)

Last edited:

Flip G

Tele-Holic
I'm having trouble editing this post, but I think I should add "surf" to "Flatpicking plus position playing and single note playing."

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
Yeah, agree about the word "mastered" being kind of a loose term. I checked the boxes that I'm fairly comfortable with. Some of the styles not checked are not a priority for me. There is so much guitar music and not enough time. Oh well, it doesn't bother me, so I don't care. Would like to learn jazz and Spanish/Latin a lot better though.

HootOwlDude

Tele-Holic
One day I imagine myself mastering all of these techniques.
But if I've left out any ...
(My end goal is to sound like Lightnin' Hopkins.)
I have mastered none of these at all in even the slightest, but I think your goal of sounding like Hopkins is a worthy one. What a good example of a player whose approach is deceptively complex, all while playing it cool as hell. I have played video clips of him for my students and they always ask if he is blind. I of course tell them no: he is just too cool to take off his sunnies. Lesson accomplished!

klasaine

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I thought about checking the “basic chords” box, but then I remembered what the “basic chords” were in Warren Nunes’ Jazz Guitar Chord Bible.
Oh well, Playing music is about the journey.
XLNT and very thoughtful answer!

"Basic chords" ... Well, lets just agree that those are the open, non-barre chords. We all could play 'em after about a year of lessons and practice. And we probably played 'em pretty good. But can we play them like Jerry McPherson or Bryan Sutton? In a word - NO.

Big Monz

Tele-Meister
I’ve got a long way to go until I feel like I’ve come close to being satisfied with my playing. The trouble is, time is moving by so fast, I may never get there! I guess that simply means I need more ‘focus’.

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
I substituted the word "accomplished" for the word "mastered" before I checked any boxes. I still can't bring myself to check "jazz/funk".

You could add "improvise melody based on changes",
"chicken picking",
"faux steel",
"DADGAD slappy tappy",
and of course "pentatonic noodling".