1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Which Strings?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Clouds84, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Clouds84

Clouds84 TDPRI Member

I own the Fender Telecaster FMT HH and I'm just wondering which strings are best for this guitar. Currently have Elixir Nanoweb Medium (.011-.049).

Terrygh1949 likes this.
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I like D’Addario XLs, NYXL and GHS EJ strings
    I use the 11 sets on most of my electric guitars.
    I use D’Addario XL Heavy (12-54) on my working guitars.

Fretting out likes this.
  3. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's

The best strings are the ones that you like best.

4. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

The ones you feel most comfortable with.

5. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I use regular D'Addario 10-46's on most my guitars but it's really a matter of what you like and getting your guitar setup to match your preference.

6. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Stooooooppppp....my head hurts.

OmegaWoods, ricardo1912 and Billy3 like this.
  7. Clouds84

Clouds84 TDPRI Member

Do different strings sound different then?

ricardo1912 likes this.
  8. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yes.

But don't take my word for it. Try a set of flatwounds.

Also, and this is pretty obvious, a 9 sauge set with be easier to bend with than a 12 gauge set. Guitars players find their happy spot between too stiff and too much like spaghetti. And on this preferences vary, as they should.

9. Billy3

Billy3 Tele-Meister

Every guitar sounds needs it's own strings. Most nuts are set for certain types of strings most importantly. The nut and gauge of strings must work together. Keep on pickin!

Loaded Goat likes this.
  10. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

Am I vain for not being able to bear the sight of those Crayola-colored ball ends? :eek: (especially on top-loaders)

My high school guitar instructor always said Ernie Ball and D'Addario were basically the same thing, I've always gone with the Slinkys. "Normal" strings, $5 a pack, we're more alike than we are different ;)

11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The G&L Saddle-Lock bridge hides your shame!

[​IMG]

Maguchi, _dave_, farmcaster and 5 others like this.
  12. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yes they do.

But no string will prevent you from dialing the sound you want by using your amp and effects.

There's tons of internet mythology about how "heavy strings sound better" and other BS that lead people to wrong choices.

Heavier doesn't sound better ,it sounds different.

The type of music you play might suit some string choices (i.e. if you play grindcore tuned to C you will need heavier strings) as well as your own playing style (i.e. if you strum/bash the bejesus out of your guitar a set of 08-038 might not be the best choice) but for general "popular" music use and a guitar tuned to standard go with what is most comfortable for you.

As far as brands go there are some minor differences between them but again they are all decent and quality control and consistency is amazing these days. So again its a matter of personal taste.

Start with the "big 3" (GHS,ERNIE BALL & D'Addario) and try a few sets to see what you like...

Personally I use the good old classic 010-038 set,used by almost everyone in the late 60s & 70s (most known as the "Hendrix set" but Duane Alman,Clapton,Gallaher,Mike Stern,Jimmy Page ,Richie Blackmore etc. also used them since they were the "standard rock n' roll set" during this era). It's the most balanced & clear sounding string set I have played in the 40 years I have been playing ,producing & recording.
    I use the GHS BOOMERS brand (unfortunately very few other string makers offer this set and GHS are my favorites anyhow since I prefer roundcore strings cause they have a softer feel).

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    Maguchi likes this.
  13. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Those colored ball ends are nice, especially for the unwound strings.
    I generally agree, BUT, I think D’Addario strings are the most consistently well made.
    Years ago, before E Ball changed/improved their packaging, I’d get new, kinked unwound strings occasionally.
    Grrrrrr.
    I ended up being becoming brand-loyal to the big D, because their strings were never kinked, or rusty.

Fretting out and Sconnie like this.
  14. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

When I started playing, Ernie Ball was still using the clear plastic flappy packaging that was open to the air. I don't remember any big quality control issues but sure enough they upgraded to the current style which is indeed way better. sounds like it was even worse further in the past? (Not callin' ya old, I just know I'm relatively young :D)

I've used EB basically all the time I've been playing, about 17 years (man, I'm not good enough for all that time...), and only a year or two ago moved on from my beloved Fender Medium picks, so I've been a little resistant to change :lol:

brookdalebill likes this.
  15. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

Sooo now I'm in the market for a P90 guitar :)

16. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Afflicted

Of course

17. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Meister

Yes. You’ll play better on strings you’re more comfortable with. Playing better is what makes the best sounds!

Maguchi and itskohler like this.
  18. itskohler

itskohler TDPRI Member

I've really been digging the EB hybrid 9s on my LP the past week. They bend in all the right ways where I want it, and don't bend where I dont.

Maguchi and ricardo1912 like this.
  19. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Meister

To go on a little more with that theme: what you have is a fine T Style guitar. Josh Smith and Billy Gibbons both play T styles too - one uses .07s and the other .13s. Both sound great. Just like them, you'll sound your best when you're the most comfortable.

What you're playing now is a reasonable gauge for that guitar. If it feels uncomfortable, first check that the setup is good and adjust as necessary (or hire someone to do so if you'd rather). If it still feels wrong after that, experiment with different gauges. Nut slots might need to get widened if you want more tension and move up to a heavier gauge than your .11s but I bet they're probably fine going down even as far .08s.

Enjoy the experiment!

Maguchi likes this.
  20. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I use these D'Addario regular XL 10's on all my electrics, EXCEPT one, my Tele!

Not sure how I even came to use these ( as I had not used Fender strings since the '90's), but my Tele loves the Fender 250's ( I think). I just tried them out about 4-5 years ago, and switched.

They are nickel wound 10-46's, just like D'Addarios or EB Slinky's, but they have just a little less tension and a bit of 'give' on fretting/bending/vibrato.
    And maybe a little more zing too?
    It's a little tweak, but I can feel it.

They just work on the Tele with its fixed bridge vs. the vibrato bridge on my Strat, and the shorter scale length on my 2 other electrics.

I'm not gonna complain, my Tele and my ears like them!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.