Which STRAT would you get and why?

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
Contemplating getting a strat to round out the sound palette. Here are the contenders (prices in CAD). I'm not big on trems in general which is why the hardtail is appealing.

Of these three options, which one(s) do you like and why?

After all these years, I must have sold off 10 strats telling myself that I am not a strat fan at all, but I always kept just one.....a 1996 Strat-Plus.

I never found any strat better than that one. I even like the Gold Lace pickups so it remains all stock.

Heck, even the hardshell case was the best design being compact....that would be suggestion, find a '90's Strat-Plus.
Yeah, I like the idea of looking for a '90s Am. Std., Deluxe or Plus. I've also sold my 4 or 5 other Strats that I bought over the years, but never considered selling this '99 swamp ash Am. Std. it just plays and sounds too sweet as do most of the '90s Fender Am. series that I've played. Agree about the cases too, way cool.

99FndrStrat.jpg
FndrFS6Case.jpg

control voltage

TDPRI Member
Maybe you wouldn't like the radius, but you could get a 1970s hardtail Strat for less than some of the guitars you're considering, and you'd avoid the depreciation that comes with buying a new one.

If you're after a new guitar, though, I'd say hold out for one that has the bridge, radius, and color you want. Or, assemble your own, though you might lose money if you sell it.

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
Noventa Strat is my favourite at the moment: hard tail, 2x P90s, 3-way switch, only one tone control, a couple of cool colours!
View attachment 933477

Mind you if you just want the Strat in-between sounds you won't get those from it...:oops:
I wonder if the rout under there would let you swap in a regular sss layout if you didn't love the Noventa pickups. I'd get that one or the black hardtail, because I deck my Strats, have always wanted a hardtail, and Robert Cray is my spirit animal.

boxocrap

Tele-Afflicted
Contemplating getting a strat to round out the sound palette. Here are the contenders (prices in CAD). I'm not big on trems in general which is why the hardtail is appealing.

Of these three options, which one(s) do you like and why?

1) H.E.R. MIM stratocaster (NEW)

View attachment 933468
Like: look/finish, noiseless PUs, unique, maple board, modern radius, 5-screw bridge.
Dislike: price at about $1,800 taxes in for a MIM strat.

2) Fender Vintera LE hardtail Stratocaster (NEW)

View attachment 933471
Like: hardtail, price at about $1,150 on sale.
Dislike: vintage radius, PUs might need an upgrade, black not my favorite colour.

3) American Ultra Stratocaster (USED)
View attachment 933472

Like: noiseless PUs, tons of features/sounds, USA build (hardcase), price at about $1,800.
Dislike: 2-point bridge but not a deal-breaker.
like the look of the 1st one..would look even nicer next to my beat up 'ol black "tuxedo" would prefer 22 frets though./and prolly 12" radius ..just sayin..but it's way too expensive...

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
Does it have to be new? The classic player 50s are the only ones I’ve played in recent years I like. Soft V, 9.5 radius, medium jumbo frets. Two point trem, so that’s a strike against for you, but I dig that. Only a few years old and you can pick them up for less.

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
Welp, you ain’t likely to like this…
The HER is out, for me. Not sure why, but her music bugs me. Most artist guitars would be out for me, tho. I could deal with a PageCaster, Gatton tele or SRV Strat if I had to fill in on a gig on a borrowed machine.

The hardtail is out. For me almost all of the magic of the strat resides in the trem and springs. So much so, that hardtails get put down because that body shape has me reaching for the fluidity of the arm and it isn’t there.

The Ultra would work.

Good luck with whatever you choose

wilson_smyth

Tele-Meister
Ultra.
Silent pups are a godsend.

Although I want good tone, I'm not searching for exact replica of someone else's tone as I believe it's impossible.
The noiseless pups with the right will get you most of the way there and the rest is in the fingers.

Give me Rory Gallagher a guitar and rig in a famous venue he played and I still won't have his exact tone, so I may as well get close enough that most won't notice, while not having to contend with him from bad wiring.

Carved heel, 2point trem, locking tuners and compound radius are all excellent features too, genuinely useful and improve the guitars playability (for me).

The S1 switching also gives the ultra massive range to cover many genres with less messing with knobs and effects.

That's my subjective view.

WilburBufferson

Friend of Leo's
Well... I was able to get out this afternoon and compare the HER and HARDTAIL strats -- the latter being regular priced stock at the L&M store. The HER strat played amazingly -- great neck! LOVE the finish. Still hate the price, but the Vintage Noiseless pickups lacked that crispness and quack that a strat oughta have. Then I plugged in the Vintera and, POOF, there was that vintage SRV/Dire Straits sound in spades. Neck: not as nice of a shape/feel compared to the HER, but it was a mess. It was fretting out above the 12th fret and I wasn't even bending any notes. Regular price for that one: $1,400+tax. No thanks. Thing needed to be PLEKed or have the neck replaced.

Haven't been able to try the Elite yet, so the jury is still out, and there are other options to consider now, thanks to your feedback.

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
All too high.
Especially the MIM. Unreal.
My experience with hardtails is they are often not as resonant as trem strats, even if you dont use the trem.
Lighter weight though.
Find a good used strat.

Exactly my thoughts

WilburBufferson

Friend of Leo's
I'll just mention this because Jakedog raised it earlier in the thread, I did play a PRS JM and it was absolutely perfect. The fenders felt like toys in comparison. They really nailed it with that guitar. Unfortunately, I cannot stand the birds on the th fretboard. I wish PRS would reconsider that.

Jack Clayton

Tele-Holic
I say this a lot, but don't spend this much until you've checked local listings for an old japanese squier. Anything JV, SQ or E series is gonna be a better guitar for less money than most of these options IMO. You'll have leftover money to do a little modding if you want, plus they have that vintage mojo factor which, to many, isn't nothing.

Betcha this has a better neck than anything new.

https://reverb.com/item/48166988-squier-stratocaster-1985-japan

Last edited:

marshman

Poster Extraordinaire
Well, I find that the strat trem, or more precisely the springs, are essential to the strat sound, so slap 5 springs in there, tighten them up to the front of the cavity and find a little block of wood to wedge in there and run with it.