Which STRAT Neck Pup with Jerry Donahue Bridge?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Hoodster, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

I've had my Tele set up as an Esquire with the JD for probably 10 years (fabulous), but recently decided to try a Strat neck pup and installed a Duncan 5-2.

The 5-2 is nice and the middle position is particularly sweet, very Stratty, but it's more usable than the neck alone, which is not what I expected. I was hoping for a bold classic Strat neck tone like I get from the Fender 69 in the neck of my Strat.

I'd really like to stick with Duncan in order to be RWRP with the JD. Any thoughts on alternatives from SD? I've had SSL-1's before and I think they're quite close to the 5-2.

2. DrB

DrB Tele-Meister

Surfers are quite good!

B

3. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Holic

I'd consider either the Antiquity II Surfer, or the SSL-2 (for more of a 50s clean, clear Strat sound).

4. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I think Jerry used the Alnico II Pro. Depending on your radius as to which one you'd choose.

5. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

I paired my JD bridge with a mini-hum in the neck! Very good combination, IMO.

6. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

I like the SSl 1 in the neck on strats but, I pared my JD with a with the alnico 2 strat pickup on my nashville. I
    think the perceived brightess is the key.
    If you believe the guitar to be on the bright side, and you tend to play on the cleaner side, I would go for the Alnico 2.
    If you're running your amp hard enough that it's saturating the power tubes, you'll need something brighter like the SSL1. My opinion only, but I gig small amps run hard and favor the cut of A5 in a band situation.

7. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

Thanks, guys. I lowered the 5/2 a bit and I’m liking it better. It is, after all, a combination of two pretty great pickups, the SSL1 on the low strings and Alnico 2 pro on the top.

On a related topic, I have an SSL5 in the bridge of my Strat and I’m curious if anyone has ever tried one in the neck position.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.