1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Which Spraygun do you prefer..Fullsize or Mini??

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Flynman, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Flynman

Flynman Tele-Meister

Hey everyone just curious as to which spraygun you prefer: Fullsize or Mini?? Do you use a different gun for clear coates than color coates? I am in the market for a good quality spraygun and will probaby be spending $300-$400 on it. I am doing enough work to justify it .....well ok actually the wife said I could!!! Looking at the Iwata LPH80 with the E4 cap and a 1.0 needle to start. Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Keith R

2. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I own a bunch of older Devilbliss guns. I used them painting cars... They're too big for guitars. I own a small Devilbliss touch up gun. It's great gun I used for motorcycles and such. It's a great gun, but it's not a gravity feed gun... None of them are HVLP guns, and that basically means they've sat unused for ten years, and probably will for another ten years. Although, maybe it's time to clean out some tools?

So, the other day, I picked up a $15 gravity feed HVLP gun from Harbor Freight. It actually works really nicely. So nicely, I think I am going to buy a few more for different finish types (i.e. waterborne, alcohol based, etc.). I am not so worried about the differences in color vs. clear (I clean my guns really well after every use) but more about the differences in solvents.

I do woodworking for a living and finish a good bit of stuff. But, that also can be defined as a broke-a.. carpenter. I'll be curious to hear what folks say about the higher dollar guns. I will spend money on tools, when I can and need to. I have high dollar saws, chisels, measuring tools, etc. But, I'm not sure that extra 285-385 bucks gets me that much better of a paint gun.

BAW4742, wadeeinkauf and RodeoTex like this.
  3. Kennedycaster

Kennedycaster Tele-Afflicted

Forget conventional compressor guns & step up to an HVLP turbine system. You'll never go back. No more regulators or oil filters to mess with. Just a consistant supply of warm, dry air. I use one nearly every day. I own a busy furniture restoration business & spray many gallons of lacquer. They are also ideal for guitars. Less overspray means less product loss. I would go with at least a two-stage unit. Three-stage is ideal & four-stage will spray any coating you might ever want to spray. I use a three-stage, which operates on about 7psi. Fuji units are commercial grade, reliable & more affordable. Apollo makes good units, as does Graco & Titan/Capspray. It's an investment, but well worth it.

[​IMG]

Bob

Axis29 likes this.
  4. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I find the "touch up" guns hard to beat.

Whatever you use, clean it thoroughly after each use. ;)

Axis29 likes this.
  5. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

I have that same $15 gun that Axis mentioned above and love it. I use it mostly for colors.
    I also have a $65 Farmhand (TSC) that i got in like-new condition in a pawnshop for $15 this at i use for clear only.
    I got off pretty cheap on the spray guns so i splurged a bit on the filter/regulator setup. It has a great oil and water separator, plus i added another finer micron filter just before the gun.

Axis29 likes this.
  6. Rano Bass

Rano Bass Tele-Holic

For colors I use mini spray guns, for clear I use bigger ones because I need more material.

Axis29 likes this.
  7. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Assuming you've already got a big enough compressor to handle the guns, then you're already down the road to using HVLP conversion guns or HTE (high transfer efficiency) guns.

However if you have not yet invested in the compressor, then HVLP turbine kits start to come into the picture. The Fujispray kits from Canada hover around a grand but give great results. If you're serious then nothing beats a gun that accepts 3M PPS system that's basically allows disposable liners for the gravity fed gun.

8. wadeeinkauf

wadeeinkauf Tele-Holic

You really do not need an expensive gun if you are just spraying a few guitars. Look at the manufacturers suggestion for what size nozzle and air pressure to use for their product and get that size nozzle. I bought this set that matched what Simtec 2K calls for. I use an airbrush for the color burst and the automotive touch up gun for everything else. The larger gun with the larger nozzle puts on material faster but the smaller gun putting less material lets me control the spray better. If I were spraying a larger item I would use the larger gun....but for guitars the touch up gun works fine...just takes a little longer. I have the ones below from Harbor Freight. As others have said, use a water trap/filter located on or near the gun not far away on the compressor.
    1a.jpg

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  9. BAW4742

BAW4742 Tele-Afflicted

I use the same guns y'all are using. I went for a better filter/separator/regulator setup too.

As far as type, I use the full size guns for sanding sealer, clear coat and for color. The smaller touchup guns work great for bursts, repairs and sometimes I use them for transparent colors on the full body.

I bought the first HF gun to finish a project, then bought another as a backup. I got used to using two so when they went on sale I picked up a couple more. I got the first one about 6 years ago and it's still working fine so I ended up with a plenty of guns for anything I'm finishing.

I'm also interested to see some folks weigh in with opinions on the more expensive guns like Flynman's talking about.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.