Which Speaker for Monoprice 5 watt Upgrade

klasaine

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
It's 8-16 ohm, at least on mine.

I have the Eminence 6.5" version of that speaker in a cabinet I built from an outdoor speaker I bought at a thrift store. I use it sometimes with my Hotone Nano heads but not with the Monoprice.

Hmmm, I don't think the 4 ohm Emi will work.
How's the 6.5 version sound?

@PhredE ... what's a whole step between friends.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Not the same amp I know, but I have an 8 ohm Jensen Mod 8" as a 'ready to go' backup for my Pathfinder 15R
( the Celestion 8" that's in there now is fine, but I wanted to have a backup, as I run my Pathfinder loud and w/OD pedal- amazed I haven't blow the speaker, all these years!)

I have hooked up the Mod and it sounds full/warm/ bright, but not too bright.
* plus, affordable, though prices UP on it, but everything else, too...

Hoodster

Friend of Leo's
The Jensen Mod speakers I have heard have been dull and muffled, but I haven’t tried the 8.

If I were in your shoes, I would go with the Celestion TF0818 mentioned earlier and which Pat Quilter used to put in all his 8 inch combos.

I put one in my Fender Champion 20 and it is freaking amazing, rich and articulate.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
The Jensen Mod speakers I have heard have been dull and muffled, but I haven’t tried the 8.

If I were in your shoes, I would go with the Celestion TF0818 mentioned earlier and which Pat Quilter used to put in all his 8 inch combos.

I put one in my Fender Champion 20 and it is freaking amazing, rich and articulate.

Are you by chance the same reviewer in Sweetwater, 2019?
Just asking as I just looked up this speaker, there is an entry w/ this speaker and Champion 20 amp...

John_B

Tele-Meister
My brother put a Weber 8F125T in his Mono 5 watt. I heard it last weekend with his new Sky Surfer reverb pedal on plate reverb.

Wow is all I can say. My Mono 5 watt arrives Saturday and I will be putting my Weber 8F125T in mine.

Pure clean Fender(y) tube tone on the cheap for $285 total.

El Famoso

Tele-Meister
I stuck a Celestion Eight 15 in mine years ago. I think you can still pick one up for around $30. Sounded a lot better than what was in there. Good enough that I never felt like swapping anything else in. But if you are just looking to swap for the sake of playing around, can't go wrong for that cheap!

jaxjaxon

Tele-Holic
Find a used cabinet for a 10 or 12 to put into it then just put a cutout jack in the back of the amp so when you plug in the cab the amps speaker shuts out.

PhredE

Tele-Afflicted
Find a used cabinet for a 10 or 12 to put into it then just put a cutout jack in the back of the amp so when you plug in the cab the amps speaker shuts out.

+1 That has been my approach in the past. It works pretty well if done correctly.
A shunting/switching jack will work fine.

If a big sound is desired out of a small(er) practice ('low powered') amp, use a big efficient speaker. Most amp manufacturers economize on the speaker choice. Most stock speakers just aren't very good. Replace or go around the problem.

Last edited:

PhredE

Tele-Afflicted
An FYI, or footnote to all the previous..

Like Quilter, Henriksen amps use PA woofers in their cabinets too. Primarily, they use Eminence Beta 10s and 6s. Those also would fall into the category of: non-guitar speaker, high power and low-to-moderate efficiency. More info here: https://www.henriksenamplifiers.com/

In addition to the Celestion TF0818 and the Selenium 8PW3 (no longer in production, but still available new via a few sellers, BTW) I posted earlier, I should also include a few more 8" non-guitar speakers that fall into the same category:

[A link to Parts Express online listing mostly because they a) HAVE them, and, b) are an established retailer with good reputation]:

Eminence Beta 8a (8", 225w, 95.1db, 8 ohm, etc)
(Still made in Kentucky?)
https://www.eminence.com/speakers/speaker-detail/?model=Beta_8A

Faital Pro 8FE200 (8", 130w, 95db, 8 ohm, etc)
Made in Italy (not a Recoton product, AFAIK)
https://www.parts-express.com/FaitalPRO-8FE200-8-Professional-Woofer-8-Ohm-294-1171

Dayton Audio MB820-8 (8", 200w, 94db, 8 ohm, etc)-- new product
Made in China (Dayton Audio is affiliated manufacturer/designer for Parts Express and maybe others)
https://www.parts-express.com/Dayto...ional-High-Power-Midbass-Driver-8-Ohm-295-636

No first-hand experience with this batch, but based on specs alone these would seem to be worthy candidates. Of course, the more complete your EQ capability is upstream, the easier it is to accommodate any given speaker. Lots of EQ control = good. Not having much EQ control means finding the optimal speaker will be an even trickier hit-or-miss proposition.

Just my 0.02. Good luck. :)

bsman

Friend of Leo's
I stuck a Celestion Eight 15 in mine years ago. I think you can still pick one up for around $30. Sounded a lot better than what was in there. Good enough that I never felt like swapping anything else in. But if you are just looking to swap for the sake of playing around, can't go wrong for that cheap!

This - I have one in a champ-ish (i.e. 6v6) amp and it plays nice until it gets mad. Then it starts to growl - in a good way!

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
(Apologies to temporarily derail the thread, but I feel I should say this here..)

Ken, sorry man. (From a post a couple weeks ago..) I should have known better re: E7#9 (vs E7b9). Chalk it up to 'cerebral flatulence'. Basic counting gets the answer pretty quick -- derp!
Short explanation: someone in the family received a cancer diagnosis a few days before and my brain was obviously not attached to my fingers. Anytime you need to provide me a reality check, just cite 'E7#9' and I will humbly resume my anonymous position on the forum! :D:oops:
Although those two chords (E7b9 and E7#9) are different and sound different they are more or less good substitutes for each other...and maybe it relates to the post in that whichever new speaker is chosen for this amp, hopefully it is a good substitute.

Sorry, carry on, back to the original topic. I have one a those little Monoprice amps and it's pretty good with the stock Celestion, but I would be interested in finding out how things work out with whatever new speaker goes in there.

Monoprice.jpg

PhredE

Tele-Afflicted
Although those two chords (E7b9 and E7#9) are different and sound different they are more or less good substitutes for each other...and maybe it relates to the post in that whichever new speaker is chosen for this amp, hopefully it is a good substitute.

All good.
I was being stupid (absent minded, spaced out, etc) and readily admit it! I really did/do know better.. I must be losing it. Oh well, wouldn't be the first stupid thing I have done. I'm taking the 5th your Honor. :D

Re: speakers.. 8"ers are sort of the odd man out. Seems like the guitar speaker makers don't put much emphasis on them and relegate them to practice amps mostly. I guess they don't get the same respect that 10s, 12s and 15s do. No reason a great sounding efficient 8" can't be made though.
Designing around the limitations of physics (size vs wavelength -- for reproduction of low notes) can be a challenge, but designing box dimensions / configurations can compensate for that. So, I don't have an answer -- but will continue to experiment relentlessly. I may have to build a 2x8" just to test some speaker combinations.. hmmm. :)