Which songs make you cry

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's

This one... added that he wrote/recorded this song (and the whole album its on I think?) while he knew he had mesothelioma and would pass, makes it even sadder. love this song though...

That whole album was full of songs that were perfect goodbies.

And great single lines. I think it opens with My Dirty Life and Times, which starts with the line
"Simetimes I feel like my shadows casting me".

My guitar playing neighbor got The Wind when it came out, and I snagged a copy soon after. Still great.

In similar creation circumstances was Joey Ramones album Don't Worry About Me, but it was less a deliberate farewell and more of Joey Ramone making a record he really wanted to make.

richiek65

Poster Extraordinaire
It has been 4 years since I got divorced, after a 32 year marriage. It was brutal.

The other day on a whim I bought the vinyl album U2 Achtung Baby.

Then this song came on, I hadn't heard it in years, and I started bawling like a baby.

"And I can't be holdin' on to what you got.. When all you got is hurt"

Just kills me.. so many memories and tough times.

I think this is U2's finest song ever and Bono OMG he is incredible, the emotions in the song.

Which songs make you cry?
i love this version

richiek65

Poster Extraordinaire
A pseudo Xmas song that takes a few turns and then in the final verse it gets down to the REAL subject matter
Tears me up in a good way, it's my daughter's 19th birthday today so it gets me in the feels just a little more

Last edited:

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
My list that I've posted before:

Have a Little Faith in Me by John Hiatt. It's so earnest and true.

What Did I Do? by The Blake Babies (Juliana Hatfield). Because I had a previous wife who offered so many negatives to my positives.

Until I Met You by Judy Rodman. I always picture my grandfather.

Arms of the Angels by Sarah McLachlan. My late wife.

Sound of Windblown Rain by Will Ackerman. Again, her. She had me play that CD to occupy her mind before she left. I can't listen to it.

Everything I Own by Bread. Old relationships, but then I remember that David Gates produced a Captain Beefheart record, then I'm ok again.

Don't Give Up by Kate Bush and Peter Gabriel. This should hit hard with anyone who's lived a full, adult life.

I Can't Make You Love Me by Bonnie Raitt. Damn...

I Will Always Love You and I've decided I like Dolly Parton's version best. Damn, again.

Hell Is For Children by Pat Benetar. I worked in healthcare IT and have spent too much time in pediatric emergency departments not to cry tears of rage over this one.

Where've You Been by Kathy Mattea. You'd have to have a stainless steel heart not to cry over this one. I think it demonstrates how Don Vezner and Don Henry could write a deep song that didn't use the easy and obvious. Logically, the song would have an additional, last verse where the couple finally meets in heaven and one says 'Where've you been?' They didn't pick that low-hanging fruit.

bholder

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
The original 80's pop tune made me happy dance all over, but this version makes me cry: