1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Which smart phone? Help...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DrPepper, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Togman

Togman Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Both my wife and I are using Moto E6 play android phones. Very easy to use and good battery life.

dougstrum likes this.
  2. Mr. Neutron

Mr. Neutron Tele-Meister

I hate all smart phones, sorta. :confused: As was said above, they can be a nuisance. But, the goofy things can be a "blessing" of sorts, at times...... :rolleyes:

My wife, daughter, and I have Motorola G7 phones. I bought one primarily for the low price and the very good battery life of these phones. They are a cheap phone, with some things that are very frustrating. But I use a gps program (Gaia) for hunting, and the extended battery life is GREAT for that one application!

3. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Holic

Lenovo Moto 5G plus :)

Cheap, 5G ready. Big, clear high-res screen. Buckets of memory. Good cameras (much better that older Moto's).

Pretty clean Android (mostly vanilla Google with few vendor specific not-so-smarts).

Caveat Emptor: I hate IOS - what some people call user-friendly, I tend to find braindead. To me it's not intuitive at all and I struggle every time I need to help an Apple user. Plus Apple are stupidly overpriced, and therefore underspec'ed at any price point.

kLyon likes this.
  4. fasthand

fasthand TDPRI Member

I went with iPhone 3 phones ago
    A iPhone 5a I think it was
    All my buddies used them so I felt I had a good support group for how to.
    Also I wanted to use Line 6 interface
    Mobile pod and garage band
    Still using iPhone have an Apple Watch and iPad they all work seamlessly together
    My Apple remote tech support has always been excellent

Doctorx33 likes this.
  5. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Holic

Seconding the Google Pixel 4a love.

JustStartingOut and kLyon like this.
  6. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I use both, Android (Samsung S10) for personal use and a work provided iPhone (iPhone 7).

For the average user, I don't think Apple is any easier to use than current Android and I don't think Android is more "open" than Apple, except in its ability to support more than a very narrow and expensive selection of devices. (You can "jailbreak" Android devices but this isn't something the average user would do.) With Android, there's a wide selection of devices at varying performance levels. So, someone might relate a bad experience with a low end phone while someone who has a higher end, newer, Samsung Galaxy may think it's great.

For application developers, Apple makes it more difficult on developers in several ways. So, for end users, that means more apps will cost money while Android apps are more likely to be free or freemium.

As for which I prefer, I like Android a lot more. The main reason is the larger screen. Of course, Apple has finally gotten around to making a bigger screen on newer, top of the line, models.

If you're on a budget, you can get more phone for your buck by going Android. There are less expensive refurbed iPhones but these will most likely be older ones with smaller screens.

7. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

8. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

I honestly feel, hand on heart & as an owner of both Android based phones (myself & children) and Apple phones (myself), iPhones are far better. This is not a fanboy based observation, but rather my own user based observation.

Our household currently has three Android phones, along with my iPhone. I am constantly and consistently the only one who cruises along trouble free.

The new(ish) iPhone SE models are not that expensive and are also fantastic value relative to other Apple options.

Pax/
    Dean

9. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi again.

This is, I think, a really, really important point. Two of our household Android phones totally destroy the third.

But, my iPhone eats them all. :)

But, part two, maybe an absolute current Galaxy would narrow that to the point of no meaning.

Pax/
    Dean

10. PeteWaller

PeteWaller Tele-Meister

You cant go wrong with a Samsung Android....plenty of choice and compatible with most other software on your pc. I have a Galaxy S9 3 years old and still perfect and original battery. I use it for EVERYTHING! i phones are expensive and just "trendy" .

FenderGuy53 likes this.
  11. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

Apple’s 2020 SE is the way to go. If you’re going to record into it, opt for more ram than the base 64gb. The only downside is it’s smaller size. Many, however, consider that a plus. Just make sure it’s a 2020 model.

WalthamMoosical and Jakedog like this.
  12. olewaylonfan74

olewaylonfan74 TDPRI Member

I have a Moto E6. No problem. Easy to use.

13. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

This is free advice but I do volunteer work that touches on this and head an IT department that aids nearly 1000 employees with their mobile technology. For proof of giving it a fair shake, we also buy and manage the Android and Apple mobile at some scale. I've got 4 dozen of both waiting to get unboxed.

You want a quality network with good support if you have expectations for service, help and reliability.

You want first tier phone for reliability, quality, support and security.

We have to deploy Android and Apple because of certain programs but company-wide we see hundreds of people have fewer problems and lower training need plus more satisfaction with our Apple vs Android. Right now changing to a new order picking system based on Android we're seeing another round of more support needed.

For volunteering, we have lots of employees with special needs, and my mother's been a hospice worker. In those realms I've seen people who don't care or know about technology figure out the iPhone faster.

It is really poor advice to follow anyone who says don't do updates. While I ultimately supervise all the technology and infrastructure, much of my day to day is responsibility for security and reliability. Over and over the fixes, protection and insurance there comes from up to date software. Yes, some releases and products have bugs but those get fixed with first tier products.

Something else to consider is all of or work gets audited. Whether or not one likes the Apple brand, the iPhones have had highest quality, longest life cycle, repairability, lowest training costs and high satisfaction.

My advice for @DrPepper is delay gratification, try some stuff. The iPhone SE is a super value but you might like the all/full screen type with a used X, 11 or bargain on a 12 series. Consider how they become primary reading devices for many people.

Cyberi4n, Jakedog and Doctorx33 like this.
  14. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted

I'm partial to the former Nexus phones and now the Pixel phones.

I like the stock Android interface and the easy integration with the Google services I use, particularly Google Fi.

15. imwjl

A used iPhone is often good advice but not updating software is often horrible advice. Some individuals can accurately say it works for them but I'm always seeing patched devices fixing problems.

It's not just anecdotal stuff here. We support nearly 1000 employees' access to HR, schedules and payroll with mobile devices. We buy new and used Apple and Android by the dozens. In recent weeks and months pushing or manually doing updates to older and new Android and Apple devices saved WiFi, cellular and security issues.

With the scale we help staff we also see not doing updates in general has been an attack vector where their personal stuff has been compromised. I realize this might work for you but it doesn't work where we do this at scale and where our work and results are audited.

Our 3 guest networks serve up to 300+ people a day. When you monitor that much with state of the art networking over and over and over you see unpatched systems that are compromised or attempts to have them compromised. Security aside, lots of help desk tickets get closed via completing the updates.

Jakedog likes this.
  16. NWinther

NWinther Friend of Leo's

iPhones...quality??
    Since when?

notmyusualuserid likes this.
  17. imwjl

Pretty much forever says our audits and accounting where we buy and manage Android and Apple at some scale.

To be fair, at work we have to operate within some security and privacy standards. That's been an Android problem where some same age devices haven't had support. I realize we don't need that compliance as individuals but it's common sense stuff I follow.

We're ready to do a major round of electronic device recycling and disposal. You can look in the piles of stuff to form some more opinions on quality. There's a noticeable lack of Apple in it relative to how much Android and Apple we buy.

Cyberi4n, Jakedog and Doctorx33 like this.
  18. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Phone choice often changes based on weather you pay for it at the time or add it to your plan. Once you get into that monthly payment mind set, it's easy to go with the next best thing. It's only a few more bucks a month after all, to go from the cheap one to the most expensive.
    How many of you would walk into a store and drop around a thousand dollars cash on the latest Galaxy or iPhone? I mean money right out of the checking account, no payment plan.
    I'm pretty sure if most of you did that, you'd be rethinking what exactly you need a phone to do.
    I paid cash for the Galaxy S5 when they first came out, 600, 700 bucks at the time. It was a great phone, but when it finally wore out I wondered if I really needed the lasted and greatest again. This WallyWorld LG does everything the S5 did for me for 150 bucks.
    Just don't skimp on the cover! Get the Otter Box. This is actually my second LG because I didn't get a cover and dropped the first one.
    150 bucks down the toilet.
    There's places that can replace the glass but I'd have to drive somewhere for that. So I just bought another one and ordered the Otter Box.

If you pay for your cars that way, you'll find roll up windows are OK too. :)

19. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Holic

I'll second this: with the v60 LG finally got great battery life, but all those V-series LGs have amazing sound; it's the only phone that prioritizes that.

NWinther likes this.
  20. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Holic

This: I bought a Mate 9 over four years ago (before Tim talked Don into muscling out the competition)) and that damned thing still gets two days of battery life. It's a tank. Takes great pictures and probably won't ever die... I'm only replacing it because I'm bored with it))

richiek65 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.