Which smaller pickup TRUCK to look for?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Jan 18, 2015.

1. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

To your last point, after selling my last pickup truck I loved not being popular when someone wanted the utility it offered.

Maybe you don't need one anymore? Sorry if I missed that somewhere. First I moved to SUV because of guiding and all weather service vehicle for my work. Then I moved to AWD station wagon. Now I rent a pickup or what's appropriate when I need it. The reality is this never costs much at all leaving me with the benefit of driving something that's much more comfy, efficient and safe the rest of the time.

Again, sorry if I missed the needs part, but my renting when it is needed, and driving nice wagon rest of the time has really worked out well in so many ways. It's worth considering unless you really need a pickup truck often.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  2. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    My MFPR is a stick-shift.

Friend, "Hey Bucko, can I borrow the MFPR this weekend?"

Bucko, "Do you know it is a stick-shift?"

Friend, "Oh...never mind..."

:)

3. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

Wish they still made these. My Dad put around 500000 mi on his 74
    [​IMG]

4. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

I have almost a quarter of a million miles on my 03 Frontier, and discounting consumables like tires and wiper blades, that truck has probably cost me around $1000 in repairs over the last 13 years.

If I walked out right now and found it burned to the ground or smashed by a fallen tree, I would call a cab and have them take me straight to the Nissan dealer to get another one!

5. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Yesterday at lunch we were talking about pickup trucks...I outed myself and revealed the J-10 is my dream truck.

Don't need no steenkin' bedliners in a J-10!

6. cowboytwang

cowboytwang Poster Extraordinaire

My favorite mid-size truck ever.

Jeep does offer a kit to convert the Jeep Unlimited 4-door Wrangler into the JK8 pickup. The kit cost $5500 and takes some cuttin' and weldin'.

Here is a video of someone doing the JK8 conversion on a brand new Wrangler, it's set to The Ragtime Wranglers album.

Also this year Jeep has said that in 2017 they are going to be revamping an old Toledo plant to start build the Jeep Gladiator Diesel Pickup. For now it looks like that may happen, but in the auto business they chase trends worse than major music labels, so who knows. They said they see a market for smaller pickups and no one is doing that right now.

If they do the Gladiator, like the concept one they've been showing the past 10 years, I'm buying one.

[​IMG]

7. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

I'll never understand how asking for recommendations in this forum turns into a demand for justification by some.

Although I tried to offer a little insight into my rationale, I don't have just justify my need or want. That's not the point of the thread. Not mpg, not what I will or won't be able to do with it, not how practical it might be for the state that I'm currently located in - none of that.

I was just requesting what you guys think is decently durable for the money these days, for the basic specs that I desire, knowing that we have a lot of mechanically inclined people in the forum, if not actual professional mechanics.

I value your opinions regarding those things. Not your assessment of the validity of my need or want.

8. bun malaey

bun malaey Tele-Afflicted

Dodge Dakota's are great midsized trucks, switchable 4X4 usually sit pretty high for a midsized too. My friends sits as high as a Chevy 1500

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.