Which sized wood screws to put through tele pickguard (neck pickup)

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by rcase6, Aug 11, 2017.

1. rcase6

rcase6 TDPRI Member

Hi, I am tired of not being able to adjust my neck pickup height on my Fender Telecaster Modern Player Plus and I want to put some height adjustment screws through the pickguard. I was thinking of using a 1/16th bit to drill through, but what height and width wood screw will I need? Let me add that the pickup adjustment screw holes are a bit worn from use so I may want to try something with slightly wider diameter. Also, I need something to anchor the screws into the body, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for. The machine screws that came with it have pulled out of the pine body several times, I keep replacing them and adding wood glue, but if someone has a better suggestion please let me know. Finally, are the vintage springs that I acquired from a tech enough resistance with the new height of the screw? Any ideas are welcome, Thanks in advance!

2. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

The usual method for fixing Tele neck pickups to the pickguard is use #4-40 x 5/8" round head machine screws and rubber tube or springs.
    The screws don't go into the body but screw directly into the pickup.
    Alternatively just drill holes in the pickguard big enough to fit a screwdriver so you can access the existing screws without removing the pickguard.

rcase6 likes this.
  3. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

Find a self tapping machine screw, sheet metal , or trim screw (NOT a wood screw they are tapered). That is slightly larger diameter than the screws holding your pickup now. Mark and drill the pickguard using the pickup to determine hole position.The screw should NOT bite into the pickguard. Check twice before drilling. . Modern Player telecaster plus is a non standard pickguard.

rcase6 likes this.
  4. rcase6

rcase6 TDPRI Member

Thank you, both, for the help. After experimenting, I found #6-40 x 5/8" machine screws and drilled about a 1/64" bigger diameter into the pickguard, then tapped the pickup mounting holes for a #6, put my springs in between, then finally the screws, and all seems proper. Thanks again!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.