Which single-spaced-bridge-HB-for-tele gives the most Tele-sque tone while in split-coil mode?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by PetarA, May 13, 2019.

Which one out of these would be your best/the least bad pick for this purpose?

1. Seymour Duncan Little 59 T

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Seymour Duncan Hot Rails T

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dimarzio Tone Zone T

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Dimarxio The Chopper T

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. Just use the 4-way switch to put both in series

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. No way, Hose...

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. PetarA

PetarA TDPRI Member

The topic title pretty much sums it up... I am contemplating a versatile setup for a tele, possibly even bridge pickup only...so a usable coil split is very sppreciated...
    Duncan tech support suggested the 59, btw...

ps:
    Surely, it is a compromise... and split-coil will never will be like a true single coil...
    and that being my main concern (single coil tone), I will most probably go another route (a noisless single coil...Area T or Duncan Vintage Stack)...

But still, i find this to be useful information, and would appreciate your info with this or similar experiences...
    Thanks

EDIT:
    Since i might not be clear...i am asking this with a Telecaster in mind, which i might even mod to be a bridge pickup only...(because i love one pickup guitars..despite being challenging...actually, that is one of the reasons why i love it...if i decide fo rthis route, which is most probably, 4th position mod is off)
    This might help to understannd me better...
    My PRIORITY is to get SINGLE COIL TONE, while being able to pull a KIND OF HUMBUCKER type of sound.

What is bizzare is that reversed scenario is so much easier to accomplish...but still, so many options out there, i am sure there will be some solution...
    POSSIBLE SOLUTION:
    A COIL TAPPING hotter noiseless single coil, like DUNCAN HOT STACK T. Although it is quite shot in the dark of how much of true single coil sound would be there in the end...

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  2. Woollymonster

Woollymonster Tele-Meister

I have never heard one get even close but, I have not heard everything. No substitute for a Tele.

[​IMG]

3. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

whatever is in my Gibson Nighthawk..the mini & reg hum split very well..eliminated the need for certain guitars.

PetarA and Mojo Brown like this.
  4. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Figure out your main goal, then go towards that. If you mostly want a tele sound with no hum, lots of good options. I've gone with the Dimarzio Area T and been real happy myself. You can get a beefed up sound via a 4 way switch, an EQ pedal, or other ways. If you mostly want a PAF type sound, I have never heard a SC sized bucker actually do that. The lil '59 most definitely does not sound like a PAF. The physical size of the bobbin has a major impact on the pickup response.

The problem with these polls is that nobody has tried them all, and most people will do like me and tell you that they used X, X is great and you should use X. BTW my best experience has been with a well-shielded Duncan JD pickup - cheap enough, easy to find / resell, plenty of guts, and with proper shielding can get you a pretty quiet guitar.

rauchman, PetarA and Mincer like this.
  5. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have experience with the SD Li'l '59 in bridge position of a SSS Strat. Garbage. It neither sounded like a Strat single coil when split, nor a PAF when not split. Worst of both worlds.

If you primarily want PAF tone, remove enough wood to install a real one. Then work out which full HB splits the nicest.

If you primarily want single coil Tele middle position, then putting the pair of single coils in series is your best bet for thickening up the sound and beefing the output. There's a reason the 4-way switch is an extremely popular Tele mod.

PetarA likes this.
  6. DugT

DugT Tele-Holic

I can't imagine how a guitar with only one pickup could be more versatile than a guitar with more pickups.

If you want a humbucker to reduce noise, what have you already done to reduce noise?
    Cavity shielding?
    Shielded wire to the output?
    Good cable?
    Noise suppressor?

7. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The Lil 59 rocks, it's fat sounding and screams on lead. Reminds me a little of a Gibson 57 classic plus. I have not split mine though so don't know how that would sound.
    The Chopper is tamer and brighter sounding so I imagine you could get some twang out of it if split. Just dialing back on the volume cleans it up and thins it out through a decent amp.

PetarA likes this.
  8. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

A full size PRail would be close to Tele bridge tone when split. I don't think any single size HB could even get close when split.

Use a Tele bridge pickup and a middle single to series/parallel switch between.

rze99 and PetarA like this.
  9. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

I checked "no way". Do you want actual humbucking ? or just that kind of tone ? A tapped or multi tapped single might be good.

PetarA likes this.
  10. PetarA

PetarA TDPRI Member

Well, i am asking for a tele...:D but sure, i get your point/

Area T is probably my number one pick, if i go by noiseless single coil route...which seems liek teh most likely one, as keeping the singles coil character is my main goal... with adequate amp situation, i am sure it can cover the ballsier territory when needed
    Thank you for finally getting some feedback on the osund of 59 in split mode
    I sgould've ben clearer..i want one pickup guitar, Esquire in style, but keeping it a bit more versatile...thats it...surely wont be a swiss army knife
    Yeah...heard it sounding decent in bucker mode..but very weak feedback on its split mode...i surely agree that amp is huge aspect of overall achieved sound...

P Rail is cool, but ruins the tele aesthetics, which i plan to keep..but thanks for the input, a goo done... I have no middl epickup, though

11. PetarA

PetarA TDPRI Member

Yes, after a lot of thought, tapping a hotter output noiseless single pickup (well, kind of a single pickup) could fit all i need...

SD Hot Stack could work, in theory...i love the look of it, a monorail... But, i have been through a few demos, it completely changed teh character of the tele .hope that tapped it is more in Tele territory

12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have not seen a "tapped" noiseless Tele bridge pickup, and I'm not sure but I'm inclined to assume a Hot Stack if tapped will not sound good as a Tele pickup.
    Note that noiseless and humbucking are two different things, FWIW.

One thing not suggested yet is a basic Tele bridge pickup of your choice, tapped or not, then a hidden dummy coil for hum cancelling.
    This can be done cheap using an import Strat pickup with the magnets removed, or better and expensive where products include the dummy coil inside the guard.
    The more advanced and better sounding dummy coil designs have the coil as large a diameter as possible, for least alteration of the sound of the pickup you want to cancel the hum of.

I'm wondering now what the dual coil HB Strat and Tele size Fralins offer in terms of tapping?
    I have one for Strat I bought used but haven't gotten around to trying, and those are supposed to be a pretty good humbucking SC sound, available in all temps AFAIK.

My feeling about most individual pickups that claim to sound like two different pickups is none do both sounds well.
    Might be better to install one of the Clapton Strat active mid boost preamps for your second HB type sound, and keep a real and great sounding Tele pickup for your Tele pickup sound.

13. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

I ve found all split single size HBs way to thin '59,Hot Rails etc. Even compared w a normal sized HBs. IMO 1/2 of a HB is 1/2 of a good idea.

14. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Holic

The Hot Stack is thicker and heavier than a Tele with a bit of twang. I wasn't aware it is available tapped, however.

15. PetarA

PetarA TDPRI Member

Th
    Thanks for thorough thoughts of yours on this subject...
    I am not enough technical to know if tapping noiseless Vintage Hot STack bt SD is possible...if it is, which i am gussing is teh case, it is again not easy to target at amount of the coil tapping to achieve good tele tone..seems like a headache...

To sum up, i do agree with you...jacks of all trades, masters of none... Better to get the best sound for primary sound (which still would be noiseless..so Area T or SD Vintage stack)...and find a compromise workarround for beefing it up: (mid)boost, 4th position series (if i would keep the neck PU) or something like that...

In all honesty, even without anything additional, with only Area T, and a goo dchoice of amp, i think i could be able to dial in passable tone for most of the needs...but it is always interesting to try to solve these ideas, as i always learn something new along the way

16. PetarA

PetarA TDPRI Member

What is your experience with Area T and higher gain situations...?if there is any...?:)

17. telemnemonics

Here's a couple of ways to get hum cancelling and single coil sound.

The Fralin is just a humbucking Tele pickup, doesn't seem available in a tapped version though I guess it can be run in series/ parallel which they don't seem to recommend.
    Another approach to getting a twangy sound and a thicker sound would be either the Clap[ton Strat mid boost for the thicker tone, or a treble bleed tuned to thin the tone a little as you turn down the volume knob, using a hotter sounding SC type pickup and then turning down for the more traditional Tele tone.

https://www.fralinpickups.com/product/tele-split-blade/

Here's the more expensive hum cancelling setup that allows you to use any non humbucking pickup you like and cut the hum. Here you could use a tapped Tele bridge pickup, ask somebody like TDPRI vendor member Rob DiStefano what coils would give you your target sounds.

https://www.ilitchelectronics.com/hum-canceling-systems/

Here's Rob's Cavalier pickups with lots of tapped Tele bridge pickup options for dual or even triple Tele bridge sounds.

http://www.cavalierpickups.com/soundbytes.html

PetarA likes this.
  18. telemnemonics

I actually prefer single pickup guitars so this stuff is always on the front burner, so to speak.

What I see on the noiseless pickup market is players keep buying the next "Best!" noiseless and then posting how much they love it, but then they go back to the search later because it seems noiseless never quite gets there.

Those that keep using the same noiseless pickups for many years seem few and far between.
    True HBs and true SCs manage to keep players happy for decades though!

I actually have a guitar on the bench for rebuild that I set up with two bridge pickups.

My feeling being that a single pickup guitar just can't get a great SC sound and a great HB sound.
    What I installed was a Firebird mini hum right up against a Strat pickup, with the bird nearer the bridge where the tone is thinner, and the SC nearer the neck where the tone is fatter.
    Two nice sounds, not massively different, one fully humbucking.
    Not what you're looking for but on the same journey.

rauchman and PetarA like this.
  19. PetarA

PetarA TDPRI Member

Thank you once again for so many interesting ideas... In here, market is quite limited, and i am not that much of a fan of ordering some superexotic things, but liek to work with easily replacable stuff...not sure why, but seems somehow more real... so, that is why i have listed som eof teh most popular PUs in here...

I hear you on teh next best thing concerning noiseless...similar fashion goes with all trendy inventions..amp modeling etc...neverending race, perfect for capitalism... truth is, i am not picky at all...thsi is more of a mental excercise, finding solution for situations like this... even more into trying to create versatile one pickup guitar..Yamah did cool job with Pac510v, with a P Rail...i would love it more with fixed bridge, though...more substantial instrument, but its wilkinson stock there, so its all fine, alltogether with locking tuners...
    Back on topic... similar to what you have did, there is Scott Groove Method which is second best thing to a real thing... cannot seem to find at this moment... but basically, there is no tapping or coil splitting... but in all 3 positions there is one vertical HB+ true single coil...so 6 pickups alltogether..
    sure it is approximation in teh term of vertical HBs, but everything else is legit...each pickup has mini switch, and thats it...go further, include parallel/serries/phase and wow...:D

20. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Anyhow, what do you want to do with a PAF sound that you can't get out of a tele bridge pickup?
    SOOO Much ballsy full on rock has been played and recorded on a basic stock tele.
    I don't play with very much "higher gain situations" - in my experience after you turn on the Big Muff or the Metalzone, you could be playing anything and nobody could tell the difference. Obviously I'm no expert!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.