1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Which set of pickups should I go for?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Guitarguy91, Mar 6, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Guitarguy91

Guitarguy91 TDPRI Member

So I’ve currently got a 2007 highway one telecaster with the stock pickups and wouldn’t mind trying a different set of pickups. What I’m looking for is a set that is a good all around set that can do cleans, overdriven sounds, and higher gain sounds. I play blues, blues-rock, hard rock, classic rock, and old school metal(70s and 80s). I’ve done some research on a few sets from different companies and the ones I have in mind are the Dimarzio twang kings, fender twisted Tele, fender Texas specials, and Seymour Duncan quarter pounders.

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. UPtele

UPtele Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I like the Duncan Donahue in the bridge and the twang king neck. I recommend that to everyone

3. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

"Should" or "Will"? You should go for Lindy Fralin Tele, hybrid stagger.

Maguchi, joealso, oregomike and 4 others like this.
  4. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

I'm a huge fan of GFS PUs. I have a set of the Hot Lead overwound PUs that I like a bunch. I've swapped some other PUs into that Tele, but I think I'm going back to the GFS.

That said, I have another Tele with the Jimmy Page PUs in it, and I love them. They do cost more than 5x as much as the GFS pickups, though.

5. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Holic

I've got a Black Mule set from Fatpups in my cart right now. Getting ready to pull the trigger as soon as I see some Paypal funds show up from something I sold online.

Why Black Mules? Just because I like the name. And I like supporting the smaller makers vs the Duncans, Fenders, and Dimarzios of the world.

jude77 and Wobbles like this.
  6. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Has your guitar got cloth wire pickups, or plastic wire plastic bobbin pickups?

If it's got yellow/black and white black cloth-covered wire with forbon (paper) formers and flat pole bridge you have Original Vintage Telecaster pickups which are already amongst the most versatile. Fit a four-way switch. Jobs good.

7. UPtele

UPtele Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I'm interested to hear what they sound like

8. FrogManBearPig

FrogManBearPig TDPRI Member

Get the Porter 9Ts. I have them in with a Emerson 4 way switch and holy hell they sound incredible!!! They can do all of it and then some.

9. FrogManBearPig

FrogManBearPig TDPRI Member

What you said you are looking for is exactly why I got the Porter 9Ts. I was looking for the same thing.

10. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

Good all around passive, I like the Duncan 5-2 set.

Maguchi and Dano-caster like this.
  11. Leonardocoate

Leonardocoate Tele-Meister

Good to hear about GFS...they don't get the respect they deserve...I have had very good luck with their PU's...The lipstick Tele bridge PU is one of my favorites....the gold foil tele set has pretty nice tone also

12. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

I haven't tried either of those yet, but now I'm thinking I need to!

Leonardocoate likes this.
  13. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Holic

Anything in particular you don't like about the stock pickups? That might help focus the recommendations coming at you. The list you mention covers a pretty broad range - aren't Twang Kings low wound and Quarter Pounders very overwound?

It's been too long since I played a Highway One from around then, but I read that 2007 and on they are the "Hot Single Coils" which are A3 magnets and overwound to something like 11k-12k.

Maguchi likes this.
  14. mjcyates

mjcyates Tele-Meister

Twang Kings are great. I have them in my 1977 Tele. I also like the Donahue Bridge pickup. I have it in a home built Esquire.

rand z likes this.
  15. Wobbles

Wobbles Tele-Meister

I have two sets of Fatpups blackguard pickups, they are probably my favorite. I have a set of DiMarzio Twang Kings that I really like. My next pickup is going to be a big T neck pickup.

16. Guitarguy91

Guitarguy91 TDPRI Member

I was looking to try some different pickups in my Telecaster and I want to find a set that can the classic Tele twang but also do what I listed in the description.

17. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Start by adding a 4-way switch to your Tele. Once you have a stealth humbucker Les Paul ... you maybe are not so curious about other pickups.

Controller, bgmacaw and Dano-caster like this.
  18. Dano-caster

Dano-caster Tele-Meister

I have the Duncan 5-2s in my parts caster with the four way switch.Has a sweet HB tone in the series position.

Maguchi likes this.
  19. BigBillow

BigBillow Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Bootstrap pickups, imho, cheaper and a huge upgrade from gfs. These guy rock! Made in USA too.

mkdaws32, Ronzo, nojazzhere and 2 others like this.
  20. IMadeYouReadThis

IMadeYouReadThis Tele-Meister

^^^This. Bootstrap comes up constantly on this forum, and for reason proportionate. The pickups are incredible, and the price makes them dangerous. I've only tried one set, the vintage clean humbuckers in my SG. I hope to try the AlNiCo III tele pickups soon (Original Recipe?).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.