1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Which set of Amps?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Rock_Glenn, Jun 8, 2020.

Which set of Amps would you rather have?

Poll closed Jun 15, 2020.
  1. Blackface Showman, Tweed Bassman, Brownface Princeton (3)

21.6%
  2. Blackface Showman, Blackface Princeton Reverb, Brownface Princeton, Tweed Deluxe (4)

78.4%
  1. Rock_Glenn

Rock_Glenn Tele-Meister

I currently have a '66 Dual Showman, I built a Princeton Reverb and a Tweed Deluxe. I'm definitely building a Brownface Princeton. Should I sell the PR and the Deluxe and build a Bassman?

I see the advantages in versatility in sounds/effects vs the versatility in volume.

I'll let the poll decide.

2. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

took a bit to get here & finally done after years of amps & amps & more amps

68 SF Bassman
    68 SF Bandmaster
    73 SF Pro
    73 SF Super Six
    74 SF Super

everyday is an adventure with this lineup & never get bored, use Catilinbread 5f6, to tweed em up but keep a lil more low end. Interestingly my gig rig is a jtm45 that converted to 6l6 & 66 fender bassman power-its a mid monster with the shades of great clean & punch you in the face or sing at lead time. Every single one of em can function at barely on to proper gig levels. Each has their special mojo, Variety is nice to have for inspiration, Had a tweed Deluxe for a bit & just didnt bond..

3. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

I voted, but you should do what will inspire you.

4. Rock_Glenn

Rock_Glenn Tele-Meister

I feel that. I'll be inspired either way. I love using the deluxe and PR in tandem. But the big tweed clean is special. The PR and deluxe are one trick ponies. The 5F6 is ridiculously heavy. It's a hard call I can't justify all five, but I'm 50/50.

Edgar Allan Presley likes this.
  5. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

I voted for the second batch. It's awfully hard for me to leave a Princeton Reverb out of any list, and you get a 5e3 to boot! And, as you say, the tweed Bassman is no joke to move around. Both the 5e3 and PR are much easier.

DavidP likes this.
  6. Rock_Glenn

Rock_Glenn Tele-Meister

I feel like list one is my favorite of each generation. They all sound good clean and dirty. They all take pedals well. Very different speakers for versatility.

But list two has three amazing amps. Possibly not enough power for some gigs though... But can be played in tandem/stereo for a distinctive sound and more volume. And I always have the showman if I need the volume.

theprofessor likes this.
  7. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

What about keeping all your amps but modifying the tone stack of one of your Showman channels to get you closer to the Bassman magic? It won't be the same, but could help.

Burning Fingers likes this.
  8. Rock_Glenn

Rock_Glenn Tele-Meister

Dude...

9. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

i am in full support of your user pic.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  10. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Holic

I had to look up the three arrows. Nice.

I voted for the second set because I only have use for amps on the smaller side.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  11. Rock_Glenn

Rock_Glenn Tele-Meister

At the risk of breaking a rule, I've always loved the Iron Front's story. The symbol just seems relevant these days.

The second set seems to be running away with the poll... Which means I'll only be building one amp. But I'll have four kickass amps, so that's cool.

12. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I'd take the first set, and flip the showman and the Princeton.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  13. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

I voted for the 2nd set because without the PR you have no amp reverb available. Not that it's needed, but if you are going to have different flavours, I would want that one on hand.

I would probably go Tweed Bassman, Princeton Reverb and Brownface Princeton.

14. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I suggest option one with two additions...build a CBS style reverb unit, and put a fixed/cathode bias switch on the 6G2 Princeton. You might want the reverb, and the cathode bias on the 6G2 gives you the 5E3 thing.

15. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

A modded Princeton Reverb will do brown Princeton and tweed Deluxe tones louder with reverb and trem if you do it right.

So sell your Princeton Reverb and build a modded clone.

The first three are too much of one thing or just plain too much. I'll take a non- reverb Bandmaster over a Showman. I'll just plain keep a 5F6. A brown Princeton...

I had an original one around 40 years ago. It wasn't impressive. I wasn't impressed. I figure I'll build the definitive modified brown Princeton "clone" one of these days.

16. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I would very much be interested in an amp like that. Should I be PM’ing you?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  17. Rock_Glenn

Rock_Glenn Tele-Meister

I built a brownface Princeton for a coworker. It's the best sounding amp I've played imo.

also the showman isn't going anywhere, I love playing amp emulators into it.

18. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Voted - but my opinion means little...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.