Which second guitar for maximum versatility

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by golfnut, May 12, 2021.

1. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

To answer the original question, a Les Paul ...

My 'second' guitar for gigs, even tho I often use it for the whole first set, is an Ibanez jazz box w/humbuckers, it covers a lot of bases eg jazzy, RnR, surf ... then I switch to the Reverend P90s for the rest of the way. But there has been a time or two at gigs when I broke a string on the Rev and the Ibanez had to take over, admirably so!

2. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Tele-Holic

Of the two choices you stated, I'd get a Les Paul. You've already been through the Strat scenario. The only drawback to the LP is it's weight.
    Good luck on your choice.

3. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I don't have a Tele anymore, I have a Jazzmaster style guitar (G&L Doheny) and got a Reverend Charger w/Humbuckers as my 2nd guitar.

I think a Gibson with Humbuckers, or something like a Charger would be a great addition with a Tele no different than me adding it as an option vs a JM style guitar.

The Charger feels an awful lot like a Tele with the Fender style scale & neck, Tele style control panel, etc.. The body is fairly different than a Tele but not crazy different, it's a very easy guitar to get used to coming off a Tele. Mine has a TOM and stoptail, but that really didn't require any adjustment.

The Reverend Crosscut IIRC is brand new and even has a Tele style bridge along with Humbuckers that to me sound more like a Fender WRHB style pickup and less like a Gibson pickup like the ones in my Charger.

Either of these guitars are great IMO if you're looking for something that's not going to feel super different than a Tele but you really need something with a voice that's really not a Tele voice.

Only owning 2 guitars I definitely wanted one to be humbucking is the other was single coil.

I like the idea of 1 guitar with a fixed bridge and one with a tremolo as well..

4. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

Exactly! I mean, no kill switch? C'mon.

Martian likes this.
  5. BW615

BW615 NEW MEMBER!

Is this for real? If so, I’d say a Humbucker guitar. But, don’t tell my wife there are people with two guitars. She’d make me sell about 45 of mine. I take about 12 to most sessions.

Greggorios likes this.
  6. BlueTele

BlueTele Tele-Meister

Buy a Telecaster shape with it’s perfect weight-balanced hang and feel, that has dual humbuckers. Here is why…very important factors for me and others like me:
    There are four key specs that might mess you up jumping from a Telecaster to Gibson or other brand and model: 1) Nut width: Fender is mostly 1.65” (vintage is 1.63”) while Gibson is wider at 1.687” (a.k.a. 1 11/16”). I can feel the difference, but it is barely tolerable since I play 1.75” on my acoustic guitars; 2) Fretboard radius: Fender is mostly 9.5” these days, but you might have a vintage 7.25”, and of course Gibson is a flatter 12” radius. If you’re a Blues/Rock player like most of us, “bending” is tougher on the 7.25” radius, but it is phenomenally more comfortable for chord work - good if you play mostly rhythm guitar. Bending is easier the flatter your fretboard radius. Gibson’s 12” radius makes bending easy, but…lower register chord work is less comfortable because the natural curve of your hand is accommodated much nicer with Fender’s 9.5” radius or the vintage 7.25”. The 9.5” is the perfect compromise for chord and lead/bending work. Vintage purists will argue or defend that they can bend just fine s their 7.25”, but that is fine…I’m just saying it is easier on the 9.5”. 3) String spread at the bridge. Oddly enough Fender has the slightly narrower 1.65” nut width, but their string spread at the bridge is wider than Gibson. Gibson therefore has a slightly wider nut, but slightly narrower string spread at the bridge. The older I have gotten, and the longer I have played Fender, the less adaptive or accommodating I am to anything else. If I pickup a Les Paul or SG, or PRS, I can handle the wider nut width (“barely”), but my picking hand literally “misses” the strings at the bridge. My brain expects the string to be where my wider-placed Fender strings are, but the string isn’t there, so it gets really frustrating. I don’t know how certain pro players hop back and forth between their Fender and Gibson’s like Robben Ford, Keith Richards, Joe Walsh, and Don Felder, etc. I guess that’s why they’re famous and I’m not! Lastly, 4) Scale length: Fender is “long scale” at 25.5”, while Gibson is “short scale” at 24.75” - and of course Gibson has 22 frets vs Fender’s 21 frets. So, to me and my normal size hand, I always feel “jammed” on a Gibson fretboard with those frets being closer together, especially above fret 12 where even a Fender starts to gets tight.
    So…all of this is why I said: “if you like the perfection of the way a Telecaster “hangs” in such perfect balance on your shoulder, just find and enjoy the world of Gibson’s humbucker “style” by buying a dual humbucker Telecaster. You can even add more variety by buying a semi-hollow like a Fender Thinline with their dual humbuckers. A couple of builders, my favorite being Whitfill, will build you a solid body, dual humbucker Telecaster. They also make their version of a Thinline that they call a Slimline. Another couple of brands to consider for a dual humbucker in a Telecaster shape are LsL and Iconic Guitars. So my small aresenal is: 1) solid ash body butterscotch black guard traditional Tele; 2) semi-hollow, dual humbucker Slimline Tele; and 3) the “in betweener” which is a Micawber like Keith Richards: butterscotch ash body with the neck humbucker and standard Tele bridge pickup. I have a Whitfill Strat style as well. I had 11 Whitfill’s of different sorts and colors prior to COVID. I sold most to survive but also to thin the herd of redundant guitars. The good news is that they all are the same scale, nut width, fretboard radius (10”), and string spread, so I can move between them without worrying about adjusting my brain to the differences had they been different brands. Whitfill also makes a mahogany body, dual humbucker that is basically a Telecaster shaped Les Paul. But, it is “short scale” so I won’t buy it for the reasons stated above. Good luck whatever you choose!

7. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Nighthawk! Fender scale Gibby! Clarity and power! 8BDE2F09-DC36-42AA-AB47-AEE7E4A6F13C.jpeg

Jerry_Mountains and jsiddall like this.
  8. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

005.JPG Why not more Tele's? The Vintage Modified SSH has more moves than a naked dancer in a topless bar:D The dual humbuckers on my Deluxe fill another realm of sounds. I recently added a Fender Paranormal Cabronita Thinline Tele (not shown)to my arsenal. Jazzmaster pick ups give even more tones to play with!

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    Greggorios likes this.
  9. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Get something optimized for a type of music your present guitar does not do well.

10. dukikid

dukikid NEW MEMBER!

My tele is a custom shop relic 59 Tele, and my recently aquired second is a Lowden GL10??? It's a solid mahogany with twin Lolar Humbukers. They suit me really well. When I can afford it, my next would be a good acoustic.

11. Tom Grattan

Tom Grattan TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

MusicMan Axis SuperSport. Wanted something with humbuckers but never liked LP's. IMO the MM Axis is a great guitar, the neck profile is VERY similar to my 58 Tele, SD pups, volume, tone and I replaced the 5 way switch with a 3 way. Very comfortable and a professional instrument.

12. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Afflicted

Get a Tele with P90s.

Greggorios likes this.
  13. turfdoc

turfdoc Tele-Meister

Duesenberg Caribou

14. Chevalier

Chevalier TDPRI Member

This one would be perfect...

Gibson LP Special DC.jpg

15. lousy13

lousy13 Tele-Meister

Other than my Tele which feels like home a 335 or something with P90's would be ideal although I've been looking at full hollow bodies lately.

16. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Of the two, the Les Paul.
    I'd far rather have an SG though. Broadly similar sounds, but to me, way more comfortable. Maybe a Deluxe Telecaster. A humbucker guitar that can withstand being nudged over.

17. Dik Ellis

Dik Ellis Tele-Meister

I have several guitars I could go to. They are all different, and all special to me, which is why I own them.

18. Winky

Winky Tele-Meister

I went with a Montreal Premier A/E. And what a guitar it is.

Supereditor likes this.
  19. Winky

Winky Tele-Meister

That is superb advice. My Tele always feels like "home" after I've played other guitars.

20. Imnotarobot

Imnotarobot TDPRI Member

Go with a Strat because you can get Les Paul tones from a Tele. You can't get Strat tones from anything but a Strat.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.