Which Rat?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by sirloin, Mar 26, 2015.

1. sirloin

sirloin TDPRI Member

Have never had a Rat, but really want to try one. Which would you prefer: a 1988 Rat 2 or an '85 whiteface reissue? The reissue costs more, but not that much.

2. sidneystreet

sidneystreet Tele-Afflicted

I had never owned a Rat until recently. I weighed all the options, Proco old/new, clones, DIY, etc.

I finally decided on the '85 Whiteface Reissue. I could not be happier.

3. max_twang

max_twang Tele-Afflicted

I went with a Brownie (a direct clone with a few different switching options.) I love it. Also, I got it used off CL -- so a substantial discount vs. a new pedal from a store.

4. heshan

heshan Tele-Meister

I got myself a 85 Whiteface Reissue which was basically brand new, and it's probably my favorite pedal. I haven't compared it to any other version of the RAT (or any clones) but from what I hear, it's the best RAT out there, and that's how I feel!

5. Cosmicdancer

Cosmicdancer Tele-Meister

I had a RAT 2 in the early 2000's, not sure which year exactly as I bought it used, and it was a good pedal for sure, but instill sold it at some point to buy something different. I bought an '85 Whiteface Reissue a year or two ago and it will never leave my board. Terrific pedal capable of a variety of tones. It's straight magic paired with my AC30.

6. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

They should be indistinguishable, save for part tolerances. If you want an LED, go for the '88.

I own 3 Rats. Two smallbox ('86) Rats and an '87 Rat 2. My favorites are the Rat 2 and one of the '86s (don't get me wrong, they're all great). But those two units have more ability to get low gain and warm. I had to try out a bunch to find the 3 that work best for me. Era seemed to have little to do with that, TBH. Though I'm shallow enough that using an old one appeals.

7. sirloin

sirloin TDPRI Member

Thanks for all the responses!

8. Johnnyseven

Johnnyseven TDPRI Member

I believe there are circuit differences between the Rat2's and the whiteface versions, I think the whitefaces are thought to be warmer and smoother and the Rat2's fuzzier and grittier.

If you decide on a Rat2 get an older flat box version, they sound better than the current made in China sloped box version.

My personal favourite Rat is the big knob Turbo Rat, I have 4 of them.

9. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think that's true for certain Rat 2s. ProCo changed the Filter value slightly at some point to make the pedal overall brighter, IIRC. But I believe that was after '88, which the OP is looking at. And the difference is relatively subtle. Strangely, the warmest, clearest, quietest Rat I ever tried was a current, Chinese model with the "bad" chip. And I stupidly sold it before I learned to use it!

10. aunchaki

aunchaki Friend of Leo's

11. pete-strych

pete-strych Tele-Holic

I wanted to try a RAT. I've been obsessed with OD pedals, tube drivers, Fuzzboxes, & distortion pedals for several years now. Stacking OD's, etc. I'm building my 2nd pedalboard currently (much smaller & compact). I followed eBay a few weeks seeking a bargain on a ProCo. Nothing. So, for like $20, I found an ENO Myomorpha. Vintage & Turbo modes via mini toggle on this mini pedal. Thru a Plexi style amp it shines for Hard Rock & 80's Metal. I don't love it into my Blackstar bedroom rig. Haven't tried it yet with my handwired Vox Clone. I'm on the fence really. I'm not planning on getting rid of it, but it's not on my big board. I see why people love them now. If I were just playing full throttle ballsy pedal to the metal rip roaring....you get it...a RAT STYLE pedal would indeed be part of my arsenal.

12. T Bone

T Bone Tele-Meister

I only have owned one, I bought it new in 1982 (the original Rat from Proco). It's an awesome pedal, not sure what modern equivalents would be, I am guessing the white face?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.