1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

which radius?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by HiGain, Jun 15, 2010.

1. HiGain

HiGain TDPRI Member

I'm putting together my first partscaster...

I'm just not sure which radius is for me... I play jazz and jazzy stuff. I use a lot of chords, play a lot of solo runs, and bend a lot-- no shredding here.

I'm concerned with playability, not vintage reproduction.

Question is, should I go with a straight 9 1/2 or 10, or something like a compound 10-12" radius.

Thanks for any and all help!

2. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

sad non-answer

wish I could help you out here but I'm afraid the only answer is play a few, see what feels comfortable. I would never have guessed myself for a vintage radius guy but my #1 is a '69 RI Thinline. Love that neck. Didn't think I would. Small hands, big neck, small frets, vintage radius, instant love. Go figure.

3. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

I prefer 91/2" with med frets... Only you can decide what you like...

4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

There's not much difference between 9 1/2 an 12 radius. I think radius is one of those personal preference things. I play jazz, too (but without the bends). I'm going for a 10"-16" radius because I like flatter 'boards. YMMV

5. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

KC is right. Go to a shop and try them all, hopefully with the size frets you prefer.

6. Muku

Muku Tele-Meister

get the 10 or 10-12 or 12.

you'll like these. also don't go jumbo frets unless your technique doesn't sharpen the note of the tall frets. Get rolled fretboard like Suhrs or american fender necks!

7. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

You say you bend a lot so a flatter radius than 7.25 suits that feature of your playing whilst allowing for a low action.

I have guitars with 7.25, 9.5, 13, 16 inch radius. For Jazzy blues stuff I like the 9.5-13 with medium frets.

My American Standard Tele neck with 9.5,rolled edges and medium frets is a great allrounder that I ALWAYS feel comfortable on. The neck profile is fine for both thumb over the top and thumb on the centreline playing. The rolled edges make a huge difference for comfort. I cannot believe that my Fender HotRod 52 RI does not have rolled edges.

8. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Radius blues

You got to play them. I had a 12" radius SG, never felt good, then got a 9 1/2" Strat, much better, then a 9 1/2" Tele, incredibly better, then a 7 1/4" Tele, also loved it. The radius and the neck shape make a huge difference. i have small hands and love the big necks and smaller radius, not sure why, just feels comfortable.

No one can tell you what is the best. Don't just pick it up for a few minutes in the music store. If you can borrow a friend's, spend a few days with it. Good luck.

9. bossaholic

bossaholic Friend of Leo's

I love the 14" radius. On my last build, I put on a 7.25 and didn't like it at all. Too much curve, which I found harder to set up. That is just me though.

10. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

This makes me look like a heretic - BUT - The Squier Standard with it's 9.5" is the nicest Fender Neck out there - and the whole Instrument is less money than most Necks.
    I finally figured out after 44 years of 7.25" Fenders that I was "way overbending" my pedal steel licks...I was so used to that 7.25".
    With the 9.5" just a wee little bit of a bend is all that's required.
    I really think I've lost all desire to ever go back to 3 saddles again too.
    The Necks on the new Squier Standards are rolled edge now also.

11. Chewy

Chewy Tele-Meister

USACG makes a 7 1/4 to 9.5 compound radius board that looks pretty cool.

It can be hard to bend up a whole step high on the neck of a 7.25 without fretting out, but it's no prob on a 9.5. Of course it's no prob on a bigger radius either, but I feel like those guitars (Gibsons) demand a sort of classical playing technique where the thumb does not curl around the neck, which isn't my style.

I have a Warmoth 10 - 16 compound radius. It has that wide flat feel but still lets you curl your thumb around like you're grabbing a baseball bat on the lower frets. Having said that, my 9.5" boards do not feel one iota tougher to play than the 10/16, so I think the benefit to that compound radius may be lost on me. I'm going for a USACG 7-9 on my next guit - hopefully easier thumb work on the low frets (small nut width too btw) and easy bending higher up.

12. HiGain

HiGain TDPRI Member

Thank you every one for the insightful comments!!

I need to remember to ask for rolled edges.

As far as radius, I will go play some guitars, though it sounds like 10-12" compound might be the way for me to go!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.