1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Which Princeton Reverb?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by backalleyblues, Oct 13, 2014.

1. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

Well, it's time to do a little Christmas shopping for myself, and I'm looking into getting one of the Princeton Reverbs, either the '65 or the '68... Will be ordering from sweetwater (I have their cc) so my choices are limited to there...

For some background, I play in a blues band using a super reverb running at about 3, with pedals supplying the dirt. I want the Princeton for some of the smaller gigs I play.

I'm kinda leaning towards the '65 bf model, as I've played a number of princetons that we're stock (along with a headstrong lil king) and loved that tone. Haven't tried the '68 custom version, but I have heard it's voiced a little differently-not sure I would like that...

So, any thoughts on these 2? Price is not a real issue here, just want the amp that will work best for me!

Thanks in advance,

Franc Robert

2. Crazy neddie

Crazy neddie Tele-Meister

I think you have to play the 68 custom, you will know right away which one you like better. I really enjoyed the 68's bassy tone as it reminded me of my Super Reverb. Headroom isn't an issue for me as I would be buying the PR specifically to hit the sweet spot at a lower volume.

3. Hollandcaster

Hollandcaster Tele-Holic

The '65 is the most classic sound of both.
    '68 distort sooner on the volume, so less headroom.

4. Johnny Cache

Johnny Cache Former Member

Try 'em both. For my money I'd go with the '65 because I want something as close as possible to the original and don't want much tube distortion or speaker breakup. I'm hoping to find a good used one as my backup amp. But if I found a '68 for the right price... well maybe.

5. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Playing out, I'd want the 65 PRRI.

6. Pepi

Pepi Tele-Afflicted

65 for me. The pedals can put you into the 68 area

I would look around for an older one though. Just don't like the looks of the new design.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.