Which primer color for Sherwood Green lacquer?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by NateD81, Jan 31, 2020.

1. NateD81

NateD81 Tele-Meister

As the title implies, I’m trying to determine whether it matters what color the primer is for shooting Sherwood Green onto? White? Gray? I’m looking for a darker Sherwood Green, if that makes any difference. Thank you!

2. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I too doubt that it would make much difference on a color so dark as that, but it never hurts to go white anyway.

NateD81 likes this.
  3. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

If you’re going for vintage accuracy a lot of vintage metallics I’ve seen look like they were sprayed right on top of a clear sealed body
    But I’d say white would probably be correct also a lot of the pastels were shot over white

NateD81 likes this.
  4. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Most metallics are shot on white in my experience.

Eric

NateD81 and Chunkocaster like this.
  5. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I think I remember seeing white listed as the preferred base.
    Grey would get you a darker finish but probably wouldn't look so hot if there was any wear through in years to come.

Fretting out and NateD81 like this.
  6. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

I say grey, chips and dings in white with white primer will stand out. I say this because my first refin in an LPB like color used white BINS primer, it's very alarming when revealed. I'm doing a dark, serious blue for my next one and I will use a grey primer.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    Dismalhead and NateD81 like this.
  7. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Theoretically, primer color should not matter, but white was the traditional choice under opaque Fender finishes. Fender is known to have skimped on colored lacquer thickness to save money, so primer color did actually have an affect (primarily on non metallics, though). But ideally, in order to get the originally intended automotive tone from the color, your color coats should completely mask the primer, no matter what color it is.

Gibson, OTOH, sprayed their finishes nice-n-thick back then. They didn’t skimp like Fender did. I’ve seen old Gibson finishes from the ‘60s that are almost a 16th of an inch thick – visible on the chips. You’d almost never see that on a lacquer finished Fender.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    Peltogyne, Fretting out and NateD81 like this.
  8. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

I believe I have already given you the information from Dan Erlewine's book about traditional metallic lacquers, specifically that they are available from Crescent Bronze Powder Company. I would contact them when you buy the bronzing powder.

Dan does not give the recipe for Sherwood Green (he does tell you to use Crescent #5 green) but he does describe shooting a metallic blue as well as basic gold (like a goldtop). After the pore fill (optional) and sanding sealer he says that one or two coats of white lacquer give a nice base but is optional too. I would follow the directions of Crescent or who ever makes your lacquer.

Skydog1010 and NateD81 like this.
  9. NateD81

NateD81 Tele-Meister

Yes you did - this is my first time so I’m just easing myself into the process and am going to purchase the Duplicolor Paint Shop Emerald Green. It’s not exactly Sherwood Green, but seems relatively close the the multiple variations of legitimate Sherwood Green I’ve seen out there.

To be totally honest I’m not super interested in trying to make a totally accurate representation, really, I just want to make a nice looking and very playable JM. I’m not entirely sure I will be successful but am looking forward to trying. Hopefully this is the beginning of many more builds to come.

And lastly, this is also a project I’m going to do with my dad, who is not a musician, but is a 75 year old machinest / jack of all trades and maybe be one of the last times we have to do something like together. He’ll probably do the heavy lifting when we spray the guitar because he’s got tons of experience in that department where I’m pretty new to that world. Hopefully I’ll pick up a trick or two. Plus I can use his nice paint sprayer hah!

Skydog1010 likes this.
  10. NateD81

NateD81 Tele-Meister

do you (or anyone else) know if I should use the vinyl primer I’ve seen on places? I’m not sure what the difference is.

11. Chunkocaster

Don't be afraid to use two shades of the same product when spraying if you want to simulate wear, fade etc or just want a unique looking finish. I sprayed a white strat and misted with a light beige while wet and ended up closer to aged Olympic white.

Very easy to do if using aerosol cans. Just keep the shades close to each other.

12. Chunkocaster

If you are using duplicolor I would stick with their products to be safe.
    BIN primer sealer comes in a creamy white that would work too.

13. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

I'm have no experience with automotive type of finishes - one of my buddies is probably one of the best custom motorcycle painters in the world, I leave that stuff to him. I would stick with Duplicolors recommendations and products so you know they are compatible.

I also had to laugh when I looked up Duplicolor Dark Green metallic - the car on the can looks exactly like the dark metallic green 1969 Camero that I bought when I got out of college. I'm the same age as your dad - enjoy doing this project with him.

NateD81 likes this.
  14. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

I'm doing a JM too, I also have my doubts how it will turn out. I'm basically going for this, as seen on the Offset page, complete with non matching headstock in red metallic. I know, this is a Jag

Attached Files:

NateD81 likes this.
  15. NateD81

NateD81 Tele-Meister

Good luck! I’m just waiting for my fam. To heal from the flu to get started. My wife and son both got influenza B that’s been going around. It’s no joke this year!

what color is that jag? It’s beautiful - almost enough to change my mind on Sherwood Green :lol:

getbent likes this.
  16. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

I don't know the color but I fell in love with it too. I look at cars in traffic, similar colors from Toyotas and Kias and many others . Cars are the perfect medium to see color, those hard shiny curves, I can't tell what anything looks like from the paint can lids or swatches.

I like Duplicolor but they don't seem to stock the colors I want so I found a place online, https://www.automotivetouchup.com/ I look up the car colors I like and write down the paint code. I haven't used this product yet, not sure how user friendly it is for an amateur like me.. I have used Duplicolor successfully on all of my other projects though. I have no access to or experience with sprayers so I'm strictly a backyard rattlecan guy.

Here's what I'm talking about re the white primer, I don't think the gray would stand out nearly as much when (not if) the chips and dings show up.

Dingaffin tele ding.JPG

Good luck with the flu, it actually seems to be making the rounds this year.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    NateD81 likes this.
  17. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

If it were me, I'd do green over candy apple red... with gold as the basecoat.

Nightclub Dwight and NateD81 like this.
  18. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

my second favorite guitar is my sherwood green tele. Your question is a good one and one I wish I had considered before painting... I think White primer is the good choice.. I used just sanding sealer and then I sprayed like 4 coats... it is just a little dark and not as creamy as I'd pictured... I WISH I'd shot white primer first...

DrASATele and NateD81 like this.
  19. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I know the guy who paints most of the fender custom shop stuff has an amazing Instagram page-jncolor

He said they always use white lacquer under metallics.

I tried using duplicolor forest green pearl -Bcc0423 and it ended up being way too dark for my taste. Perhaps I applied it too heavy.

NateD81 likes this.
  20. Steerforth

Steerforth Tele-Afflicted

I’d be inclined to use gray so that chips and scratches wouldn’t show like a neon sign.

I want to spray my next Partscaster with 1967 Oldsmobile Tahoe Turquoise Metallic. I remember blowing that color out of my nose after hanging around in my Dad’s body shop when I was a kid. It
    was a nice color.

NateD81 and getbent like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.