Which pots for Wide Range bucker neck and single in bridge?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by tlsmack, Oct 18, 2019.

1. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

Thinking about putting a Mojo Tone Wide range in the neck, with a SD Jerry Donahue in the bridge. Standard two knob layout. What pots would work well in this setup???

thanks

2. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

tlsmack likes this.
  3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

See if you can find some 375 K pots, like they used in the HR52.

You might want to use a modified wiring diagram where only the neck pickup is governed by the tone control. Let the bridge pickup run past the tone circuit.

In this usage, you have to use your guitar volume control as a sort of tone control over that 5/2 bridge pickup. The problem I find is, I then have difficulty switching back and forth with Teles than have the usual universal tone control. And I am also trying to play Strats with no tone control on the middle pickup and Squier 51s (no tone control at all) and G + L Comanches and it is basically too many different schemes and I'm finding it harder to switch back and forth.

Another approach would be a volume pedal and you modulate every time you hit the pickup switch.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    tlsmack likes this.
  4. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted

I use 250k & .047, or .022 cap depending on the singl2, on all my HS combos.

Make sure your HB isn't to high of a henry, too hot, or the volume difference will be unbearable unless the HB is so low it is below the pickguard.

Eric

tlsmack likes this.
  5. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

For starters, try a 375K pot for the volume and convert the 250K tone pot to no-load.
    If you have the opportunity, check the pot values first with a DMM and try to get those at these values or higher.

6. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

There's a wiring diagram out there to use an extra fixed resistor so switching to the humbucker gives it 500k and going to the single coil gives it 250k.
    It's not the easiest to find.

I get my humbucker tone fix by using a 4-way switch on a normal SS Tele. It's $12 or so for the switch.

You could just figure out which pickup will be your 80% use and put in the volume pot that matches that pickup, 500k or 250k.

Simple path is a 500k volume pot and then use the tone knob to wrangle down the possible brightness of the bridge single coil. The tone knob can't make a guitar brighter, only darker.

tlsmack likes this.
  7. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I recently put a Firebird pickup in the neck of a Strat with 250k pots and .047 cap and was sure that I was going to need to change pots/caps til I found the right setup. I did assign the tone pot for the neck pickup to the bridge pickup giving the neck 250k volume only and all turned out well with the right height adjustment - The bass side down and the treble side up.
    Tele's are a bit different, but my advice is to leave it all the same and not mod til the pickup height adjustments have been done first because every guitar has it's own tonal differences.
    Then make changes if needed, but only one change at a time. Try lower value cap then move to the higher value pots. It could involve a lot of back in forth with the pots and caps, but you can get it done. I had a Strat with 2 singles and a double in the bridge with 2 500k pots and a .022 cap and all was well. Just depends on the guitar and how the pickups react in it.

tlsmack likes this.
  8. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Holic

I believe that the original 1970's Tele Custom had 1meg volume and tone pots for both the CuNiFe WRHB and the SC bridge (exact identity unknown), ie 4 pots total, and 0.022uF caps. Sources: Duchossoir book and some others. Other sources suggest the possibility that the WRHB and SC pots were different values and/or tapers.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    tlsmack likes this.
  9. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

A simple version of this is to use a 500k volume pot, and add a 470k resistor to ground, whenever the Bridge pickup is active. That brings effective overall resistance down to around 242k.

There are two issues, though. First, the fixed resistor messes with vol pot taper. I just get used to it, but maybe some folks can't.

Second, the 'simple' version brings the resistor in for middle position as well (anytime Bridge is active). This may be too dark with the humbucker in the mix. Ideally, you'd have the humbucker alone see approx 500k, and the bridge alone see approx 250k, and the pair in parallel see... something in between that sounds good to you, in that guitar. I'd start with 350k.

Unfortunately, switching for that can't be addressed with a three-way blade switch alone. You'd need a super switch - but the only ones I'm aware of are five-position. You could always have the back three settings do the same thing, but it's clunky. Even clunkier perhaps is a separate toggle, that applies the correct resistor, depending on the pickup setting. So, every time you move the three-way, you'd also need to move the toggle. Pretty awful.

There's one more option. I tend to play bridge alone very rarely, even on a Tele. Middle position is where I am most of the time. If this sounds like you, and you'd like to optimize the middle setting, over the standalone bridge, then wire up the simple version, but use a 1.2m resistor instead of the 470k. This brings both bridge and middle positions to an overall resistance of approx 350k. Or tweak that, using your ear, and this calculator.

Here's the simple version, showing Duncan humbucker wire color coding.

Screen Shot 2019-10-19 at 03.16.20 PM.png

10. Marquee Moon

Marquee Moon Tele-Meister

what about for the dual HB tele's?

11. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Holic

The only original 1970's Deluxe (2x CuNiFe WRHB) wiring diagram I have ever seen is this one. It doesn't show pot values, but shows the same pot part number for the two volume pots (021832), and another two numbers the same for the tone pots (010188). Best evidence from Duchossoir and elsewhere is that they are all 1meg pots, audio taper for volume and linear for tone. Caps are 0.022uF.
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.