1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Which pots for a Tele with a "neckbucker"?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Esquier, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Esquier

Esquier TDPRI Member

I got some free 'buckers from an Epiphone Sheraton. I'll have a normal tele "Texas Special" bridge pickup that I like just fine even though it's really overwound at 10K ohms or so. The neckbucker measures 8.4K ohms, so I hope they'll blend okay. I realize that ohms aren't everything though, so no guarantees... I was thinking I'd use 500K pots on vol. and tone, but then I started thinking 1M pots might keep some more highs. Have many of you out there used a stacked tone pot so as to use separate caps for each pickup? Your advice is appreciated!

2. 2manyteles

2manyteles TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I'd stick with the 500k. With 1 meg your bridge pickup may be a tad brittle sounding. Generally, you'd use 250k for single coils and 500 for buckers.
    It's always good to run down your ideas though. Try the 1 meg and see if you like it.

Robert H. likes this.
  3. Esquier

Esquier TDPRI Member

I remember my old '72 Tele had 1M pots, pretty twangy it was with its heavy ash body

4. jsalvaggio

jsalvaggio Tele-Meister

2manyteles likes this.
  5. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

The Texas Special might play well with the 500k pot.

If it doesn't. It's an easy fix for the bridge pickup to see 250k with a resistor.

6. Esquier

Esquier TDPRI Member

It's going to be 500K volume pot and a stacked 500K tone pot with separate tone caps

7. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

My '98 Fat Tele came with 500K pots... They are still there. I just changed the bridge for a Dimarzio Twang King yeeears ago. I love it

8. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Holic

if you use a stacked pot make sure theres enough space in the control cavity. you dont have a lot of wood to play with

9. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

How does this work when both are selected...please explain.

10. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

500K, and live with the brighter bridge tone or get one of these :

https://www.fralinpickups.com/product/steel-pole-43/

Don't worry about the tone control for now...it will likely work fine for you as is without changing the tone pot to 500K..try it before you change it..don't "fix" it if it ain't broke.

11. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

There was a schematic posted by warparker4 that I used with a HB/SC combo.

You can have the N/B and N positions see a 500k while the B sees a 250k. This is the one I used.

Or, it can be wired that the N sees 500k and the N/B and B see 250k.

If I can find them I'll try to give you the link.

PCollen likes this.
  12. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I typically like to use a higher resistance volume pot and a no-load tone pot, to open up the highs - you can always roll them off slightly with the tone pot, if need be.

But, the guitar's tonal character itself is something I find needs to be considered. Some guitars (aside from pickups) are noticeably brighter or darker than other guitars and that can influence your choice of pot values.

13. Esquier

Esquier TDPRI Member

I ended up using a 500KA vol and a 1ML tone with "Danny Gatton" caps, one for each pickup. I used a .0068uF for the bridge and a .0033uF for the 'bucker. I would like for the bridge to "see" 250K by using a resistor or ?? Hey Spud, how is this carried out, if you can enlighten me? It would be much appreciated!

14. Esquier

Esquier TDPRI Member

Found it. Pretty cool. I soldered in a 470K resistor. Playing it last night, I suspect the pickups are out of phase. I figure I must swap the inner and outer leads from the neckbucker and listen again or else maybe the bridge pup is overpowering the 'bucker cos of the different resistance it sees? We'll see after I reverse those leads from the neckbucker

15. Ben Bishop

Ben Bishop Tele-Meister

I'm thinking of something similar so please keep us updated on your experiments.

16. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Afflicted

I recently modded my barncaster with a neck humbucker (SD Antiquity) keeping the bridge single coil (cheap China pickup but I like it). I first went with the 250k pots that were already there but the humbucker was too muddy. I switched to 500k pots and was happier but the humbucker got muddy when I turned down the volume (I like to ride the volume pot). So I added a treble bleed. That did it for me and now I'm happy with the final result.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.