Which pickups stood the test of time?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by steam-powered, Jan 23, 2015.

1. steam-powered

steam-powered Tele-Meister

I'm sure plenty of folks have gone through many pickups before settling on a favorite. Out of all the sets you've tried, which one's have remained over the years?

2. s.d.sound-guy

s.d.sound-guy Former Member

Lasting pickups

A whole bunch of Seymour Duncans in various guitars, 59's, JB's, Duncan Custom, APH's, Seth Lovers, a lot of Antiquity pickups. A couple of Gibson PAF's, a few Gibson Patent Sticker pickups, a set of DiMarzio Super Distortion and Dual Sound from the mid '70's.

Attached Files:

3. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Good question. I never seem to tire of the two sets of SD Jazz in two totally different guitars, or the P100s in my LP Special. My two amps were really chosen around these pickups.

4. Steve_U1S

Steve_U1S Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

The DiMarzio Super Distortion - well, initially the Dual Sound, now either or - for my bridge pickup in my Ibanez and other 'shredder' type instruments which need to remain versatile.
    (The Super D and Dual Sound are identical pickups; initially, the Dual Sound was introduced to allow for coil access to do with different wiring schemes using parallel and coil selecting/cutting, whereas the Super D originally had just a 2-conductor harness, but otherwise has always been the same pickup. Along the way, they updated the Super Distortion to also offer the 4 conductor harness; end result is the distinguishing characteristics now are the model numbers (DP100 / DP101) and names, plus there's always been a switch of some kind in the container with the Dual Sound for immediate use of the 4 conductor scheme. It used to be a mini toggle; I think now they might tuck a push-pull pot in there with it.)
    ... and it's been my go-to 6-string humbucker bridge pickup for decades now, having tried so many other things...

5. SonicDiveBomb

SonicDiveBomb Tele-Meister

DP100 sounds absolutely killer. I love it! One of my favorite pickups.

Only problem I have with it is it really doesn't have the cleanest cleans. They're not bad though, they're just a little tiny bit dirty on a clean channel. Obviously, with a name like super distortion, totally love it though.

I use lace sensors as my go-to pickups nowadays, because they offer nicer cleans with more focused distorted tones, but I still love the smooth distortion of a DP100.

6. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Custom set of tappable single coils, from Klein Pickups. They're very clear, and articulate considering how overwound they are. Lots of mids, which I like, without being honky, muddy, or mushy. Dynamics are fantastic, yet there is also this slightly compressed quality, which makes the pickups feel as if they're picking up every little nuisance. It really lets you use your hands to change the tone and character of the guitar, but it also makes the guitar less forgiving of minor mistakes and imperfections in my playing technique. Again, which I like.

7. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The telecaster 62 set remains a bargain and that bridge pickup just nails what a tele sounds like in my head.

8. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I was in my local (biggish) music store and the manager and were talking on just this topic. We agreed that DeArmond in a Guild Starfire seemed to have just that much more than a standard Gibson PAF in a 335.
    There's just something about them, an added bit of tone, I don't know. I just think they're great.JMHO

9. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

hmmm... The only guitar I own right now that I personally modded was I took the EMG 81 out of my Rich and put an 85X in.

My LP has a set of Antiquity P90s in it that are phenomenal! I bought it that way though.

Everything else is stock. If I had to choose a favorite pickup it would be the Gibson Classic '57 with the Antiquities a very close second.

I am looking for a new set of pickups for my strat though. Its an '84 Squier and the pups have seen better days. I just don't know what route to go...

10. Steve_U1S

Steve_U1S Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Definitely a bit thick and hot for cleans; putting it in parallel with itself would help, and bring some more 'sparkle' to it.
    But my go-to with that is to split it with another coil (specifically, on a 2 humbucker guitar, using the two inner coils of the two (wherein the two are north/south same so that this combination is still noise cancelling)) - that brings it down and gives some chime and Strat-ish cluck that keeps things versatile.

11. JP Lace Master

JP Lace Master Tele-Meister

well once upon a time, I refused to use anything other than cheap Chinese pickups, which you might find in a Squier, but then I found Lace Sensors, been using 'em for 2 years now, two of my Strats have them equipped and I'm working on a third.

12. drmcclainphd

drmcclainphd Tele-Afflicted

Nothing I've ever tried, either in mine or another's, can hold a candle to the versatility and output of quad rail double-buckers.

13. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

We truly live in a golden age of having an incredible selection of pickups in all price ranges to fill a variety of roles.

Here are some of my favorites:

GFS Surf 90's
    GFS Fatbody Tele Neck
    GFS VEH Bridge Humbucker
    Kent Armstrong Tweedtone Strat
    Kent Armstrong Hot Tele
    Kent Armstrong HB Size P90
    Kent Armstrong Vintage 12
    Fender CS Fat '50's
    Squier CV A3 Tele Set
    Fender CS Nocaster
    Dimarzio PAF
    Dimarzio EJ Custom
    Duncan '59
    Duncan SM1 Firebird mini
    Duncan Broadcaster
    Gibson '57 Classic
    Rose Robusta Strat
    Rose Mariposa Strat
    Rose California Humbucker
    Rose Bourbon Tele Neck
    Rose Alba Tele Bridge
    Rose Eden P90
    Rose T90
    Fralin Vintage Hot strat
    Fralin Jazzmaster
    TTS Black Label Tele
    TTS Haze 65 Strat
    TTS 59 Bucker
    Carvin AP11 singles

I have other makes/models on my bucket list to try out...

14. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Friend of Leo's

I put a set of Lollar Vintage Staggered in my 52RI Tele a bunch of years ago, after trying a few other kinds. At one point I put something different in...just to try something different. Within a couple months, I switched back to the Lollars, and don't feel any need to try something different anymore.

15. thrashmetl

thrashmetl Tele-Holic

Which iteration of the Starfire are you talking about? The originals with the mini-hums, 70's with the larger pickups, 90's Westerly Starfire PAF sized humbuckers, or the current mini-hums.

The only ones that have stood the test of time for me are Fred Stuart's, both the Blackguard and the Lapwrap. Head and shoulders above every other Tele pickup I've ever played.

16. fyshnutz2

fyshnutz2 Tele-Meister

Look at a set of Don Mare Junior Watson Strat pickups. I put some of the in a stratopartscaster and was just blown away.

17. steam-powered

steam-powered Tele-Meister

After downsizing to just one tele-build, I've opted to keep the Analogman/Fralin Big-T set. It was a close call between the Big-T neck and the Lollar Royal-T, almost a coin toss, but that certain "something" in the Big-T neck tipped the scale.

18. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

Thats more then I paid for the guitar! :D

I know I'm going stacked humbuckie route. I have a set of Seymour Duncans Cool Rail, JB JR and a lil '59 that i bought for another guitar, I just can't find them :lol:. I know as soon as I order pups, I will find them :rolleyes:.

19. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

For lunchie, check out Porter pickups, rosePickups, cavalier. Great pickups at great prices. Also, keystone Strat pups are killer.

As far as test of time pickups, Duncan seths, Gibson pat #'s, anything wound by Zhangliqun. TV jones classics, Fezzter oildales, Rob D's Cavaliers.....DiMarzio PAF's, 36th's, twang kings, Pre-B , tone zone T, cv hot t. Love chubtone strat, BG Pure 90's, Teisco gold foils.....Tonerider pickups continue to bring the good too. The pure vintage strat pups are wonderful, hot classic t's are stellar, rebel 90's are great and the A4 buckers are sweet. Man, Lollar, Manlius, Wolfe! Never ends!!!

20. Ted M

Ted M Tele-Afflicted

My favorites -

Lollar P90s regular wind
    Don Mare Tele Pickups (bridge position) esp the 0038 'lap wrap' and the Hot Bakelite
    Jim Weider Big T or DiMarzio Twang King - Tele neck position
    Tom Holmes H450/455 humbuckers - expensive and worth every penny
    Seymour Duncan Humbuckers
    Bill (& Becky) Lawrence L280 (neck/middle) and L290 (bridge) for Strats and Teles
    TV Jones Filtertrons

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.