Which pickups for my CV 50s Tele?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by TheBoss1983, Mar 1, 2015.

1. TheBoss1983

TheBoss1983 Tele-Meister

Hi,
    I'm totally happy with my Baja. The true twang - machine...

I'm looking for some nice and maybe not expensive, hotter pickups for my CV. It's going to be the more Rock-Tele. I added a Kluson HW 40C Bridge and now I'm looking for some nice pickups.
    Heard about the Tonerider TRT 2. Cheap but great pickups they seem to be?!!
    I'm not afraid about used ones. But here in germany I still haven't found something nice...

What would you do?

2. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

If your CV-50is the white blonde one, you already have what is essentially the Tonerider Hot Classic, I think that is the TR-2, but I'm not sure..... I have the White blonde CV-50 and I absolutely love the pickups, especially the bridge one and I wouldn't change it.. If you have the butterscotch CV-50, the Tonerider would be a great choice. It is the one with the Alnico three pickups. The butterscotch CV has Alnico five... not the same... The Alnico three really rocks out.. Rob Destefano, [Fret Teck Co], also has a nocaster Alnico three at a good price and he is a great an honest guy. And Fender's Nocaster is also Alnicoi three but it is more expensive.. You pay for the Fender name, I suppose... They all are similar.

3. kyussvegas

kyussvegas Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Exactly what I was going to say.

If you have the VB CV 50s you already have some darn good hotter Tele pickups. If it's BSB there are tons of options. I'd recommend checking out the pickups forum here, lots of good threads on hotter pickups for rock.

4. Corgitodd

Corgitodd Tele-Meister

I have a circa 1980s Bill Lawrence t1 neck pickup which I believe is alnico 3. Roy Buchanan used them. I'm toying with putting it in either my butterscotch squire cv or my 2001 mexi tele. Not sure how it will match up with the stock bridge pup in either one.

5. HotDan!

HotDan! Friend of Leo's

Should work out fine. These are very close in tone, just a bit hotter and would be a nice choice for the OP as well. Like the CV itself, Keystones pack a lot of bang for the buck. :D

6. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

CV 50's A3 bridge and A5 neck make a great combo for cheap.

7. Troubleandahalf

Troubleandahalf Tele-Holic

I've always been intrigued by the Häusel pickups in Germany. Think that's how you spell it.

8. Corgitodd

Corgitodd Tele-Meister

Wonder why squier has A3s in the blonde, and A5s in the butterscotch? They could just as easily have A3 bridge and A5 necks in both with the same inventory.

9. Hoopermazing

Hoopermazing Tele-Holic

I'm kind of partial to these... although, I will eventually route the bridge and slap another TV Jones Classic, or, perhaps, Classic Plus in there. (that ugly ring will be gone as soon as my custom pickguard arrives. My attempts to cut one myself were not clean enough for my liking.)

The only original parts remaining on this CV50s are the body, the ashtray (but not the saddles) and the knobs. ...and, perhaps, 2 or 3 of the original pickguard screws.

[​IMG]

10. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

+1 on this combo

That's what I did with my CVC -- either pickup is easily obtained for relatively few $$, and as both A3 and A5 sets are RWRP, add a 4-way switch with the money saved and you'll be a very happy camper.

11. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

I recently swapped out the pickups from a customers CV VB and took the pickups as payment for the labor. Nothing wrong with the stock pickups on those guitars and they will end up in another tele that didn't come with as nice a set.

12. matt mcgriff

matt mcgriff TDPRI Member

I put a SD hot Tele neck and Alnico II bridge. Also have had a complete rewiring done (waiting for me at home) with a four way switch. I'll have the hot neck and bridge running in both serial and parallel. So I'll have some good crunchy rock sounds.

13. Willyguitar

Willyguitar Tele-Meister

I would definitely stick with the stock pickup if it is one of the original white cvs. Cracking rock tele sound

14. old guitar player

old guitar player Tele-Afflicted

Yes the CV BSB has the more "vintage" sounding pickups than the 50's blonde version.
    I used to own a CV BSB tele and liked the tone from both pickups but I play old school blues so it was great for that. My current gigging Jay Turser tele copy has ceramic pickups that read about 9.3k-9.5k ohms and I really like them. For being so hot they still have nice "single coil" note definition. I like to use the middle position most of the time but for jazz the neck pickup really sounds nice.

15. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

I wouldn't say so , the CVC have a more sixties sounding set. Who knows how many of the early 50's pickups actually growled a bit more , because nobody watched the turn counter , probably not all of them.When first starting out making guitars as we know them today , Leo had already made lap steels for years. the first Broad-No-Telecaster versions bridge pu were similar.
    Remember, the neck pu was supposed to mimic the sound of an upright bass , without taking up the space in the car..... the bass circuit was used until 67, I think
    Before the Precision bass were available , the only pu meant for guitar sounds were the bridge pu.....
    I have a CVC with the vintage Blonde bridge pu , and a Seymour Duncan Broadcaster in another. I actually prefer the Vintage Blonde pu over the sd

16. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

I can't imagine why they don't use the A3 pickups in all the teles. It's not like they're overwound or anything- perfect balance of warmth and clarity. The A5/Tonerider Vintage Plus spec is pretty anemic IMO.

17. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I was just going to say how cool the Filtertron ring looks on that. Wish I'd done that on mine. Would have covered up the sloppy route on the pickguard I had too.

18. Seurdge

Seurdge Tele-Meister

Hum maybe I'm missing something but I have the CV50 BSB ( so the A5 ), and really like the pickup.

I had the wiring replaced with StewMac premium wiring kit but kept the stock pickup...

19. TheBoss1983

TheBoss1983 Tele-Meister

So you like them for Rock?

20. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

The a5 bridge pu sounds thinner , that's for sure. Its meant to give you the sixties sound , with a little less output. Its still useable for anything , if you tweak the amp settings etc...... Can it do rock sounds , off course it can. Plenty of rock have been played on sixties teles.
    The CV and CVC do not have Tonerider pu's in them as such.... but the Plant Manager told Mark Davis from this forum via email that they were made side by side....... And they really look a like , down to the lettering etc.
    Since you are in Germany , why not try some Haussles or LeoSounds pickups ?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.