Which pickups closest to original PAF?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by HaroldBKNY, Jul 25, 2020.

1. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I like those new 61 burst buckers. There is a pair in my 2019 les Paul classic. I find the usual bb1/2 combo to be too sizzley and kind of buzzy but this newer model had the clarity and air thAt I like. I don’t think a pair would break the bank either

I don't how close they sound to original PAFs though... but they are pretty nice.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020 at 9:39 PM
  2. micktobora

micktobora TDPRI Member

3. micktobora

micktobora TDPRI Member

Ive tried a few paf copies but the best by far is Seymour Duncan Antiquities.
    Absolutely amazing vintage tone. Clear and defined when played clean with awesome breakup and sustain when pushed - but still maintaining definition. Definitely the best of the bunch. (Imo.)

Tone is highly subjective, so it's really up to your ears to decide.

fenderchamp likes this.
  4. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve never played a 50s Gibson unfortunately so I can’t comment on how close they are.

Four experiences of PAF types in case useful.

I got Jaime at The Creamey to wind me some “real” PAFs for my vintage Les Paul Custom to replace some 80s Di Marzios. I don’t know how close they are but sound great. Nice and bright complex and chimey. Cost a lot.

Just put two Thornbuckers with raw Nickel covers into a Tele and they also sound great. Bright clear and qwacky.

I have Stock Gibson 57s in a 61 type reissue SG. I wound’nt change them. They are bright have a chunky bottom end. Cut through beautifully. I think they are excellent.

Stock PAF types in an early 90s ES335 dot reissue. They sound just like the 57s to me maybe a touch richer in the mids.

5. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I’ve never played them.

What about their tone and dynamics leads you to say this?

What makes them special?

Thanks

6. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I just find them exceptionally smooth and musical sounding. Thick without being muddy. Very articulate. I especially like the top end. They have good definition but there’s no spike or harshness. Very smooth highs.

I had them in a late 70’s “The Paul”, an early 80’s “The SG”, and I had a pair I got used that I put into a 90’s Epiphone Sheraton. Had I known they were going to get so hard to find and start getting expensive I would have kept that last pair instead of letting them go with the guitar.

T Tops are another weird pickup like the P100- everybody says they’re no good and you should definitely get rid of them, which means in theory there should be loads of them available cheap. But there aren’t. They’re pretty hard to find, and expensive when they crop up. Weird phenomenon.

MilwMark likes this.
  7. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Afflicted

What did those come out of? Interesting mounting covers. I think I've seen them like that on a couple les oaul copies. Are the bottoms embossed with "super 70"?. They should also have a stamped serial numbers. You can determine the year with those numbers.
    I think you'll like them. The Vintage Ibanez Super 70's, Super 58's, Super 80's and V2 pickups are all great.

8. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Sorry if it’s covered. I just skimmed. Has anyone tried the Pearly Gates?

What are they like?

9. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

Gibson copy

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020 at 9:27 PM
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.